Status of women in ancient Atheism people's civilizations

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Status of women in ancient Atheism people's civilizations

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

There existed no worthwhile Atheistic or Agnostic society in the ancient* in any large numbers. Had it been so?

I would like to know status of women in those cultures or civilizations. That is why sometimes I think that there was no worthwhile Atheist Agnostic culture anywhere in the world in the ancient times; might be no Atheist Agnostic existed in those times; and it might be simply a recent growth. Right, please?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

In the Pre-Veda period
In the Vedic period
In the Post-Veda period
In the times of Buddha
In the times of Krishna
In the times of Moses
In the times of Zoroaster
In the times of Jesus
In the times of Socratess

Tcg
Savant

Re: Status of women in ancient Atheism people's civilization

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
I would like to know status of women in those cultures or civilizations. That is why sometimes I think that there was no worthwhile Atheist Agnostic culture anywhere in the world in the ancient times; might be no Atheist Agnostic existed in those times; and it might be simply a recent growth.
The question you ask may be difficult to answer, but it isn't difficult to determine which theistic societies in ancient times where/are misogynistic. All of them.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #3

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Tcg wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
I would like to know status of women in those cultures or civilizations. That is why sometimes I think that there was no worthwhile Atheist Agnostic culture anywhere in the world in the ancient times; might be no Atheist Agnostic existed in those times; and it might be simply a recent growth.
The question you ask may be difficult to answer, but it isn't difficult to determine which theistic societies in ancient times where/are misogynistic. All of them.
The question you ask may be difficult to answer
Why it is difficult to answer, please?
The Atheism people claim that theirs is the "default faith/no-faith position/no-position", so it should be easy to answer the question through all these times. Right, please?

Regards

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #4

Post by Bust Nak »

paarsurrey1 wrote: There existed no worthwhile Atheistic or Agnostic society in the ancient* in any large numbers. Had it been so?
As far as I know, there are no significant atheistic or agnostic society in the ancient world.
might be no Atheist Agnostic existed in those times; and it might be simply a recent growth. Right, please?
Nah, there are records of atheists in ancient Greece, India and China for example, just not enough of us to be a culture of our own.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Because we don't have written records for all of human history. If there were any ancient atheistic or agnostic societies, we don't have any records of them that I am aware of. You can't answer a question factually when there is no relevant data available.

The Atheism people claim that theirs is the "default faith/no-faith position/no-position", so it should be easy to answer the question through all these times.
Some atheists are convinced that atheism is the initial default position of humans. By this they mean that humans aren't born believing in god/gods and that it is only after being exposed to the idea of god/gods that they begin to believe. If this is the idea you are referring to here, I'm not sure how it is relevant to your question. Certainly you aren't suggesting that children created societies on their own before they were taught about god/gods.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #6

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Tcg wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
Because we don't have written records for all of human history. If there were any ancient atheistic or agnostic societies, we don't have any records of them that I am aware of. You can't answer a question factually when there is no relevant data available.

The Atheism people claim that theirs is the "default faith/no-faith position/no-position", so it should be easy to answer the question through all these times.
Some atheists are convinced that atheism is the initial default position of humans. By this they mean that humans aren't born believing in god/gods and that it is only after being exposed to the idea of god/gods that they begin to believe. If this is the idea you are referring to here, I'm not sure how it is relevant to your question. Certainly you aren't suggesting that children created societies on their own before they were taught about god/gods.
So, the Atheism people cannot claim truly that theirs is the "default position". They don't have any evidence of it, it is just their conjecture.

Regards

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
So, the Atheism people cannot claim truly that theirs is the "default position". They don't have any evidence of it, it is just their conjecture.
Not all atheists claim that theirs is the default position. You are confusing the claims of some as the claims of all.

You are right though, those who do claim this have no hard evidence to support this conclusion. While it would be fascinating to conduct an experiment with some number of children and never expose them to the indoctrination that leads to a belief in god/gods and see if they develop that belief on their own, it is not an experiment that would be either possible or moral to conduct. It is a question like so many others that will likely never be answered.

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

Well, we can't really talk about the times of imaginary peoples, but apparently it's a pendulum.

Atheism has existed since before recorded history. How it treated women is more of a mystery.

Pericles' time had a women's movement. Greek culture is famous for having its atheists, and being liberal.
There are African atheist cultures that have existed since time immemorial treat men and women equally.

It is an interesting topic, but I think it would require an expert to give you a reliable answer.
Still, two cultures have atheism and good treatment of women.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #9

Post by Bust Nak »

paarsurrey1 wrote: So, the Atheism people cannot claim truly that theirs is the "default position". They don't have any evidence of it, it is just their conjecture.
That does not follow. Even if all ancient civilization is theistic, atheism is still the default position, what it does mean is that these ancient civilizations moved from the default position.
Tcg wrote: You are right though, those who do claim this have no hard evidence to support this conclusion. While it would be fascinating to conduct an experiment...
No experiments are needed as logic itself dictates that the neutral position that says nothing is the default position.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #10

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Willum wrote: Well, we can't really talk about the times of imaginary peoples, but apparently it's a pendulum.

Atheism has existed since before recorded history. How it treated women is more of a mystery.

Pericles' time had a women's movement. Greek culture is famous for having its atheists, and being liberal.
There are African atheist cultures that have existed since time immemorial treat men and women equally.

It is an interesting topic, but I think it would require an expert to give you a reliable answer.
Still, two cultures have atheism and good treatment of women.
So one agrees that Atheism cannot claim to be a default position/no-position, they never had any culture or civilization in the ancient in any part of the world. They might have been there as a minority or confused, disgruntled and doubting individuals. They did whatever the culture or civilization they belonged to were doing.
Moderation is not specific to Atheism, majority of the religious peoples are/had been moderate and enlightened people.

Regards