Reports of my "second death" have been greatly ..

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Reports of my "second death" have been greatly ..

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

There are two scriptures in the bible that speak about a "lake of fire" and explains this means "the second death"
REVELATION 20:14
And death and the Grave were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire. - NWT

REVELATION 21:8
But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and the sexually immoral and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This means the second death.� - NWT
My questions are:

- what do you think the "second death" refers to?

- The devil is spoken of as being hurled into "a lake of fire", would this in your opinion be the SAME lake of fire that means the "second death" or a different one?

- What is the scriptural basis for those that suggest that those subject to this "second death" return to continue/resume life in God's favor after the experience?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: Reports of my "second death" have been greatly

Post #11

Post by myth-one.com »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
myth-one.com wrote: The lake of fire is the method of execution.

The fire is everlasting, because the devil is everlasting -- being a spiritual bodied being. Since the devil is everlasting, his prison must also be everlasting.
I'm a little confused by some of what you said. You say that the lake of fire is the method of execution, so if the Devil is cast into it, wouldn't that mean that the Devil is executed. Does he survive his own execution?
It is the method of execution for those who can be executed -- that is, humans whose names are not written in the Book of Life!

The devil is an immortal spirit which cannot perish!

He will be tormented day and night for ever and ever in the lake of lake of fire.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
myth-one.com wrote: Death and the grave are thus cast into the lake of fire and destroyed as prophesied
Are there two lakes of fire? If so, which one is Death cast into?
Just the one is mentioned.

If Tom, Dick, and Harry were cast into the lake, would three lakes be required?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #12

Post by myth-one.com »

ttruscott wrote:
William wrote:GOD = Life. The breath of GOD = Life.
Are the animals then breathed to life like Adam was?
Yes.
Genesis 7 wrote:13 In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;

14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.

15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
The breath of life is simply air with oxygen.
For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity. All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. (Ecclesiastes 3:19-20)
When we stop breathing the breath of life (air), we die:
Genesis 7:22 wrote:All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
All air breathing animals not on the ark drowned.

They could not get to the breath of life.

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

[Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]
Could you provide some of these biblical references?
Google is your friend.

Did you somehow miss the point I was making, or are you simply unaware of biblical references and contradictions therein?

The problem with making an idol out of anything is that one is blinded to any other truth which questions the significance of the idol.

You are free to accept that truth or reject it.

For the reader.

♦ Is The Bible Really The Word Of GOD? Image

EBA
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by EBA »

JehovahsWitness wrote: There are two scriptures in the bible that speak about a "lake of fire" and explains this means "the second death"
And death and the Grave were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire. - NWT

But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and the sexually immoral and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This means the second death.� - NWT
My questions are:

- The devil is spoken of as being hurled into "a lake of fire", would this in your opinion be the SAME lake of fire that means the "second death" or a different one?

- What is the scriptural basis for those that suggest that those subject to this "second death" return to continue/resume life in God's favor after the experience?
The second death is the death of the carnal mind.

There is only one lake of fire and simply put it is God.

After the second death, people do not continue/resume life; they are resurrected.

With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world WILL learn righteousness. (Isa 26:9)

Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth;
And all flesh shall see the salvation of God. (Luke 3:5-6)

God Bless.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

EBA wrote:
This is curious to me, you believe the lake of fire is the Creator God? In what sense is the Devil thrown into God?

Thanks,

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

EBA
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by EBA »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
EBA wrote:
This is curious to me, you believe the lake of fire is the Creator God? In what sense is the Devil thrown into God?

Thanks,

JW
Well not in the literal sense that's for sure. The lake of fire is not a literal lake made up of literal fire. The lake of fire is symbolic:

For our God is a consuming fire. (Heb 12:29)

You said,
you believe the lake of fire is the Creator God?
I said of the lake of fire, "simply put it is God." But yes, Creator God is fine with the understanding that both the Father and the Son are the Creator. There is, however, one more part of God that completes this symbolic lake of fire and here they are:

And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth. (Rev 5:10)

At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. (Joh 14:20)

That is the God I'm referring to and that is the God that Satan will be cast into.

Peace.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

[Replying to post 16 by EBA]

So is being thrown into the lake of fire (God) a good thing, something we should all strive for so we can enjoy the positive experience of being thrown into God? Is it like a reward?

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by 2ndRateMind »

JehovahsWitness wrote: There are two scriptures in the bible that speak about a "lake of fire" and explains this means "the second death"

My questions are:

I actually think the people who need to worry about this kind of stuff, don't, and those who don't need to worry, and often do, shouldn't.

As I survey the world, it seems to me that most of us are reasonably honest, kind, just and good. Otherwise our civilisations could not cohere. And I do not think a just and merciful God will punish the vast majority of us with lakes of fire, second deaths, etc.

Rather than get hung up on Revelations, I think we are far better, as believers, just concentrating on Jesus' commandments to love God, and love each other; and as unbelievers, pursuing whatever direction we sense to be moral, to the best of our ability and capacity.

And let God decide what rewards and punishments he will bestow and exact, as He sees fit. He is bound to have a more objective view on what is due to who than we are.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #19

Post by 2timothy316 »

William wrote: [Replying to post 2 by 2timothy316]
The Greek word for soul or psuche means (a) the vital breath, breath of life, (b) the human soul, (c) the soul as the seat of affections and will, (d) the self, (e) a human person, an individual.
http://biblehub.com/greek/5590.htm

The 2nd death is the death of the person, soul or plainly the individual. All that they are and were. Completely gone. That is what fire does to an object and why the Lake of Fire is on fire. When we toss something into a furnace, it's gone.
The breath of GOD cannot die. It is from an eternal source.
Explain how who we are is contained in the breath of God if all of us are different individuals and what is the breath of God. In Scripture please, thank you.

Here are my supporting scriptures.
Psalms 104:29 says, "If you take away their spirit, they die and return to the dust."

Two things when we die. We lose our spirit and we return to dust or the ground. Now, the person we are, our attitude, our wants, our memories etc. are part of which piece? The breath or the dust? Psalms 146:4 tells us which one, "His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish." If the breath or spirit is eternal then our thoughts wouldn't perish...but they do perish. That means the person we are is in the dust and without the spirit we are nothing but dust. We are formed not from breath or spirit.

"As a father shows mercy to his sons, Jehovah has shown mercy to those who fear him. For he well knows how we are formed, Remembering that we are dust." Psalms 103:13,14

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

[Replying to post 19 by 2timothy316]
Explain how who we are is contained in the breath of God if all of us are different individuals and what is the breath of God. In Scripture please, thank you.
It is a GIFT that we are individuals, but in the quintessence of our being, we are not different at all. That quintessence is the 'breath of GOD' - the conscious self aware intelligent creative quality which enables 'I AM" to be understood and exclaimed.

Even our human forms are not different enough to qualify being called a different species. Because we are so alike, calling each other 'human' is perfectly acceptable.

So in that, while the form allows for different perspectives which are individual, this does not mean that we are actually any different from each other.

Also, there is no requirement on my part to 'explain' my understanding 'in scripture' because the bible itself has contradictory notions as to what happens re afterlife so each of us can pick and choose as we will.
Two things when we die. We lose our spirit and we return to dust or the ground. Now, the person we are, our attitude, our wants, our memories etc. are part of which piece? The breath or the dust? Psalms 146:4 tells us which one, "His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish." If the breath or spirit is eternal then our thoughts wouldn't perish...but they do perish. That means the person we are is in the dust and without the spirit we are nothing but dust. We are formed not from breath or spirit.
What you are saying there is that you believe in biblical passages which confirm for you that you are simply flesh.
Jesus said 'that which is flesh is flesh' so you are indeed welcome to self identify as being only that which lives and dies and rots and eventually turns to dust, if that is your preference.

What your interpretation tells me is that it hasn't been well thought through - or perhaps it has and you haven't seen the need to explain the contradiction apparent?

You also believe that you will be reconstructed somehow and all your memory of life as a human being restored.

Thus;

The contradiction apparent:

On the belief that when someone dies that is the end of them. HOW are they supposed to be resurrected as the same people who died and became no more?

See? It makes no sense. Either their body died but the individual consciousness continued to experience living, or they truly did die and a whole new being is later created and assigned the actions of the dead who no longer exist.

It is a contradiction to think that both these things are possible.

As part of that - how was the information of a past life regarding these supposed dead and now resurrected individuals kept?

If the human dies and so too, the consciousness which consisted of that human, the brain as well - everything to do with the person including the persons Data of Experience, how is it that the DoE is kept? Where is the DoE stored? Why does the DoE not also perish with the individual?

Do you believe that the Data of Experience is essentially the persona or are these separate from the individual, as in the individual is the body and dies, but the DoE is saved for future use?

See? The problem with your belief is that it is a far more complicated way of doing/achieving an outcome, which can be done far more effectively, such as the theology I speak of throughout my members notes, which does not contradict biblical references, unless of course such biblical references contradict themselves.

And they do, so the individual is thus free to pick and choose throughout the sorting wheat from chaff process.

But 'sorry', I don't buy your particular belief about what happens when a person dies. If the persons DoE survives the persons death, then the person might as well survive it as well, because these are essentially the same thing...the soul aspects of the individuate aspect of GOD consciousness.

In fairness, I have also experienced OOBE and as such I can understand the idea of being separate from the flesh and consciously experiencing an alternate reality, so it is only natural that I would give more credence to biblical references which align with personal experience.

♦ My thoughts on death.Image