For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

“God does not exist� can be dismissed without evidence

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

The assertion “God does not exist� can be dismissed without evidence

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.�
Christopher Hitchens

Right, please?

Regards

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: “God does not exist� can be dismissed without eviden

Post #11

Post by Bust Nak »

Tcg wrote: I'm not sure exactly what you mean with the phrase, "produce a god for examination". In any case, what you are describing here is a failure on the theist's part. This may or may not be because the god they are backing doesn't exist.
Don't particularly care one way or the other.
At best, it is evidence the specific god/gods they are backing don't exist.
What are we even talking about, if not specific god/gods theists are putting forward for discussion?
The expectation of evidence would be based on the description of the god/gods you are expecting to see evidence for. The absence of evidence may mean that the god/gods you are looking for don't exist. It may also mean that you are looking for the wrong kind of evidence. It may also mean that you are looking for the wrong god/gods.
If the description of a particular god rules out expectation of evidence, then it can be rules out philosophically via the principle of parsimony. More to the point, the god/gods that theists are backing, comes with the expectation of evidence.

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

Bust Nak wrote:
Don't particularly care one way or the other.
You don't care bout what you mean by, "produce a god for examination"?
What are we even talking about, if not specific god/gods theists are putting forward for discussion?
You made the claim that it would apply to all gods. That a failure to produce evidence for specific god/gods would support the universal conclusion that no god/gods exist.
If the description of a particular god rules out expectation of evidence, then it can be rules out philosophically via the principle of parsimony. More to the point, the god/gods that theists are backing, comes with the expectation of evidence.
I referred to expectation of specific evidence. What specific evidence are you expecting to find? If you don't find it, how could you conclude that it is evidence that any and all god/gods don't exist?

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #13

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Tcg wrote:
Bust Nak wrote:
The expectation of evidence would be based on the description of the god/gods you are expecting to see evidence for. The absence of evidence may mean that the god/gods you are looking for don't exist. It may also mean that you are looking for the wrong kind of evidence. It may also mean that you are looking for the wrong god/gods.
evidence
Allah, "The All-'Evident' " is evident, therefore, He needs no evidence. He exists and has bestowed existence to everything inanimate or animate within the universe/s and beyond. Do you exist even, please?
Atheism have never provided any evidence of "God does not exist", therefore their assertion needs and merits certainly be dismissed. Right, please?
Anybody, please

Regards

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #14

Post by Bust Nak »

Tcg wrote: You don't care bout what you mean by, "produce a god for examination"?
No, I don't care whether the lack of evidence is due to failure on the theists' fault only, if the lack of evidence is actually due to a lack of gods.
You made the claim that it would apply to all gods. That a failure to produce evidence for specific god/gods would support the universal conclusion that no god/gods exist.
It's not just a failure for specific gods though. It's failure for all gods.
I referred to expectation of specific evidence. What specific evidence are you expecting to find?
For which God in particular?
If you don't find it, how could you conclude that it is evidence that any and all god/gods don't exist?
I am confused, are you asking if I cannot find evidence for one particular god, how can I conclude that it is evidence that no gods exist? I couldn't, in that case. Are you asking if I cannot find evidence for any and all gods, then how can I conclude that there isn't any gods? Because that's what the evidence shows?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #15

Post by Bust Nak »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Allah, "The All-'Evident' " is evident, therefore, He needs no evidence.
I don't care if he needs evidence or not. I need evidence before I believe, so can you provide it or not?
He exists and has bestowed existence to everything inanimate or animate within the universe/s and beyond.
Oh? Prove it.
Do you exist even, please?
Yes.
Atheism have never provided any evidence of "God does not exist", therefore their assertion needs and merits certainly be dismissed. Right, please?
Asked and answered. Atheism cannot be dismissed because we have evidence.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Justin108 »

paarsurrey1 wrote: The assertion “God does not exist� can be dismissed without evidence

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.�
Christopher Hitchens

Right, please?

Regards
Good thing I never made that claim. Can you quote an atheist on this forum who made that claim?

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #17

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Justin108 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: The assertion “God does not exist� can be dismissed without evidence

Christopher Hitchens

Right, please?

Regards
Good thing I never made that claim. Can you quote an atheist on this forum who made that claim?
So you believe in God. Don't you, please?
Regards

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Justin108 »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:

Christopher Hitchens

Right, please?

Regards
So you believe in God. Don't you, please?
Regards
Saying "I do not believe God exists" is very different from saying "God does not exist".

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #19

Post by paarsurrey1 »

[Replying to post 18 by Justin108]
Justin108
Saying "I do not believe God exists" is very different from saying "God does not exist".
Please express yourself fully.
Regards

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by McCulloch »

paarsurrey1 wrote:Allah, "The All-'Evident' " is evident, therefore, He needs no evidence. He exists and has bestowed existence to everything inanimate or animate within the universe/s and beyond. Do you exist even, please?
Decartes showed that I am the only thing that I can be absolutely sure to exist.
paarsurrey1 wrote:Atheism have never provided any evidence of "God does not exist", therefore their assertion needs and merits certainly be dismissed. Right, please?
You seem to be confusing existence with validity. It is pointless and meaningless to discuss whether or not a proposition like, "God does not exist" itself exists.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John