Post by paarsurrey1 »

Is Atheism a fantasy?
If not, why not? Please

Regards

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #2

Post by Bust Nak »

Atheism is the default position. Whether it is a fantasy or not depends on whether there is or isn't any gods. It's up to theists to demonstrate a god. So you tell me. Is Atheism a fantasy? If so, why?

As far as I can tell, this thread is an attempt at shifting the burden of proof.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Is Atheism a fantasy?

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Is Atheism a fantasy?
Atheism is the lack of belief in god/gods.

Is it true that some lack belief in god/gods?

Yes, it is true, therefore atheism is not a fantasy.

tam
Savant

Post #4

Post by tam »

Bust Nak wrote: Atheism is the default position. Whether it is a fantasy or not depends on whether there is or isn't any gods. It's up to theists to demonstrate a god. So you tell me. Is Atheism a fantasy? If so, why?

As far as I can tell, this thread is an attempt at shifting the burden of proof.
Why is atheism the default position?

As far as I understand, the entire known history of mankind would suggest the exact opposite. There are no known cultures (even isolated cultures) that were atheistic; all of them had some form of spirit/god belief.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

marco
Savant

Re: Is Atheism a fantasy?

Post #5

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Is Atheism a fantasy?
If not, why not? Please

Regards

This is very funny, paarsurrey. Fantasy involves the discarding of reason. Bertrand Russell wrote a very reasoned account of his atheism and he was a magnificent mathematician. Fantasy would not apply to atheism, which uses reason to come to a conclusion.

Consider, for a minute, people who believe in nasty invisible things called jinn; who accept that Muhammad had a ride on a winged horse; who believe God shouts from high mountains and throws down stones with writing scraped on to them. Who are the fantasists here?

But thank you - you made Marco smile on this harsh winter day. Go well.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #6

Post by Bust Nak »

tam wrote: Why is atheism the default position?
Because it says nothing by itself, it is the negated from of the position that does say something - theism.
As far as I understand, the entire known history of mankind would suggest the exact opposite. There are no known cultures (even isolated cultures) that were atheistic; all of them had some form of spirit/god belief.
They all moved from the default position. There is nothing surprising/odd/unexpected about that.

KingandPriest
Sage

Post #7

Post by KingandPriest »

Bust Nak wrote: Atheism is the default position. Whether it is a fantasy or not depends on whether there is or isn't any gods. It's up to theists to demonstrate a god. So you tell me. Is Atheism a fantasy? If so, why?

Hello,

Wouldn't agnosticism be a more correct default position.

Asserting a lack of belief is an actual position, and does not leave room for discovery. Typically, a default position leaves room for additional information. Would you agree?

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

Peace to you Bust Nak!
Bust Nak wrote:
tam wrote: Why is atheism the default position?
Because it says nothing by itself, it is the negated from of the position that does say something - theism.
Perhaps we are simply using the word 'default' differently. I looked up the definition and saw that there are indeed multiple meanings of that word.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to be using 'default' as in a 'zero' or 'lacking' position. Is that correct? If so, would 'nothing' be considered the default position and 'something' be considered to be moving away from the default position?

I am using the word default as in, the 'original setting'; the 'first position'; the 'factory setting' so to speak. That is how I thought you were using the word; and my question was based upon that.
They all moved from the default position. There is nothing surprising/odd/unexpected about that.

But this... regardless of which definition of the word 'default' we are using... there is no evidence that I am aware of, showing that every (or even any) culture MOVED from the position of atheism.

Doesn't MOVING suggest that atheism is the 'factory setting'? The original/first position? What is the evidence for that?

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #9

Post by Bust Nak »

KingandPriest wrote: Wouldn't agnosticism be a more correct default position.
That depends which definitions you want to use. The typical definitions around these parts says agnosticism is about knowledge while atheism is about beliefs; in which case both positions are the correct default one as neither says anything with respect to their individual sphere.

Granted, elsewhere it is used more like a sliding scale where you are atheism on the one side and theism on the other, with agnosticism in the middle; in which case then yes, agnosticism is the default position that says nothing, both atheism and theism says something.
Asserting a lack of belief is an actual position, and does not leave room for discovery. Typically, a default position leaves room for additional information. Would you agree?
I don't see how asserting a lack of belief does not leave room for discovery. Show me a god and this stern atheist would become a theist.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #10

Post by Bust Nak »

tam wrote: Perhaps we are simply using the word 'default' differently. I looked up the definition and saw that there are indeed multiple meanings of that word.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to be using 'default' as in a 'zero' or 'lacking' position. Is that correct?
That is correct, I am using default that way.
If so, would 'nothing' be considered the default position and 'something' be considered to be moving away from the default position?
Yes, atheism is a fancy label for the 'nothing' position.
I am using the word default as in, the 'original setting'; the 'first position'; the 'factory setting' so to speak. That is how I thought you were using the word; and my question was based upon that.
That would explain why you would disagree with me. I will grant you that believe in some sort of intention/plan in the world is the first position.
But this... regardless of which definition of the word 'default' we are using... there is no evidence that I am aware of, showing that every (or even any) culture MOVED from the position of atheism.

Doesn't MOVING suggest that atheism is the 'factory setting'? The original/first position? What is the evidence for that?
Granted atheism is not the factory setting, and not default in that sense.