Why would God create inequalities?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Why would God create inequalities?

Post #1

Post by marco »

People like Rousseau felt that man is born free. However, man is born with inherited powers or disabilities, courtesy of God, if we believe he is the artisan. Jesus tried to rectify some of these design flaws: making a few blind people see and some deaf people hear rather than make a general proclamation that ALL blind and deaf people would be healed forthwith. Lepers, also, he might have added.

In his lecture tour, Jesus addressed everyone as though they all had the same capacity to understand his sometimes complex phraseology. We see on this forum how simple sentences take on a perplexing variety of meanings, depending on one's religious persuasion.

Why would God give people powerful gifts of understanding and deprive others of the basics? Is it Adam's fault, once again, that there are people who are unable to do the simplest things, thanks to how they were born?

Or can we deduce that this vast variety in humankind's abilities shows chance, not God, busily at work?

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

Well, one could also ask why Adonai created all of the other life forms. Is it fair that only humans bear His image? Also, if all were to be equal, at what level would that equality be set? How could man improve himself? If I invent something, is it unfair that everyone did not have the same idea at the same time that I did, that everyone did not have the exact same skill at fashioning the production process and marketing it in the same way and at the same time I did? The quest for equality appears to me to be a fool's errand. I much more prefer inequality anyway, because it spurs competition and innovation, which is much more stimulating than equality.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

bluethread wrote:
Well, one could also ask why Adonai created all of the other life forms.
I was going to.
bluethread wrote:
The quest for equality appears to me to be a fool's errand. I much more prefer inequality anyway, because it spurs competition and innovation, which is much more stimulating than equality.
Well I wasn't referring to this laudable encouragement of competitiveness. I was thinking of poor souls who live a cabbage existence. It is not a question of preferring difference but one of wondering why God has allowed such a gulf between the endowed and those who can do nothing but breathe.

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

marco wrote:
bluethread wrote:
Well, one could also ask why Adonai created all of the other life forms.
I was going to.
bluethread wrote:
The quest for equality appears to me to be a fool's errand. I much more prefer inequality anyway, because it spurs competition and innovation, which is much more stimulating than equality.
Well I wasn't referring to this laudable encouragement of competitiveness. I was thinking of poor souls who live a cabbage existence. It is not a question of preferring difference but one of wondering why God has allowed such a gulf between the endowed and those who can do nothing but breathe.
Are you concerned that the "cabbage" people are worse off than we are? Though I do not hold to the doctrine of the divine idiot, it might be possible that a "cabbage " life is rather satisfying. I have heard many laud praise on those who have lesser mental skills. It is my understanding that suicide is much more common among those of higher intellect, than it is among those of lesser mental capabilities. Could it be that you are projecting your fears regarding possibly being that way yourself some day?

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

bluethread wrote:
I have heard many laud praise on those who have lesser mental skills. It is my understanding that suicide is much more common among those of higher intellect, than it is among those of lesser mental capabilities. Could it be that you are projecting your fears regarding possibly being that way yourself some day?

The biter bit? Yes, behind every question there is possibly a laughing demon or a phantom of fear. My question wasn't, as far as I'm aware, penned through projected fear, though I do wonder why people who have lived decent lives are condemned to hobble into madness. No, I wondered at the apparent requirement that we should all carry out the commandments, when some of us were not given the basic materials for so doing. When one accepts the threats of punishment, one wonders why all candidates are not given the same materials, to use as they wish.

Your suggestion that those who are entirely dependent on others are happy is gratifying.

Savant

Re: Why would God create inequalities?

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: People like Rousseau felt that man is born free. However, man is born with inherited powers or disabilities, courtesy of God, if we believe he is the artisan. Jesus tried to rectify some of these design flaws: making a few blind people see and some deaf people hear rather than make a general proclamation that ALL blind and deaf people would be healed forthwith. Lepers, also, he might have added.
If the flaw would be in the design, all people would be as bad. But because it is not so, the reason must be something else.
marco wrote:Why would God give people powerful gifts of understanding and deprive others of the basics?
Bible has this promise:

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him.
James 1:5

So, if someone thinks he has problems with understanding, the help is available. But it seems to me that the real problem is that some people just don’t want to hear the truth. They shut their eyes and ears so that they could not hear or see and then I think it is not God’s fault but people’s own choice.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 6 by 1213]
So, if someone thinks he has problems with understanding, the help is available. But it seems to me that the real problem is that some people just don’t want to hear the truth. They shut their eyes and ears so that they could not hear or see and then I think it is not God’s fault but people’s own choice.
1213, one of the reasons I am no longer a Christian is because I did just what you suggested. I know I have told you this before, and I probably will again.
I asked God for answers, for understanding and God was completely silent, in the exact same way that a being who does not in fact exist is like.
So either God is there and just ignored me, contrary to what you say here, or he is not there.

Please consider it like this. Imagine you ask me for a phone number of someone you dearly want to contact. I give you a number, only the phone says it is invalid. Would it be correct for me to blame you when that happens? For me to say "1213 does not want to contact that person"?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #8

Post by imhereforyou »

marco wrote: People like Rousseau felt that man is born free. However, man is born with inherited powers or disabilities, courtesy of God, if we believe he is the artisan. Jesus tried to rectify some of these design flaws: making a few blind people see and some deaf people hear rather than make a general proclamation that ALL blind and deaf people would be healed forthwith. Lepers, also, he might have added.

In his lecture tour, Jesus addressed everyone as though they all had the same capacity to understand his sometimes complex phraseology. We see on this forum how simple sentences take on a perplexing variety of meanings, depending on one's religious persuasion.

Why would God give people powerful gifts of understanding and deprive others of the basics? Is it Adam's fault, once again, that there are people who are unable to do the simplest things, thanks to how they were born?

Or can we deduce that this vast variety in humankind's abilities shows chance, not God, busily at work?
Of course it's Adam's fault - everything bad is (as it's taught in many churches). Even if that's true, the ability for a person to thwart the will of an all powerful being is a head-scratcher for sure.
Surely this isn't possible - a mere mortal and throw a monkey wrench into a plan set forth by such a powerful being....
So that either means this being isn't all he's cracked up to be OR he is and is just messing with us - toys for him to do what he wants to do with - all the while saying he wants us with him and 'poor me - look what I sacrificed for you ungrateful heathens' so on and so forth.
If neither is true, then everything taught is wrong.
Or maybe it's all just a bunch of malarkey created by people to explain things they couldn't understand at the time.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by amortalman »

bluethread wrote: Well, one could also ask why Adonai created all of the other life forms. Is it fair that only humans bear His image? Also, if all were to be equal, at what level would that equality be set? How could man improve himself? If I invent something, is it unfair that everyone did not have the same idea at the same time that I did, that everyone did not have the exact same skill at fashioning the production process and marketing it in the same way and at the same time I did? The quest for equality appears to me to be a fool's errand. I much more prefer inequality anyway, because it spurs competition and innovation, which is much more stimulating than equality.

Your objection I think is misplaced. The premise of the OP as I understand it is that chance is the genesis of all inequities in life and your argument actually reinforces that concept.
If there is no creator god and life came about through natural selection and gene mutation then we would find life exactly as it is.

bluethread
Savant

Post #10

Post by bluethread »

marco wrote:
bluethread wrote:
I have heard many laud praise on those who have lesser mental skills. It is my understanding that suicide is much more common among those of higher intellect, than it is among those of lesser mental capabilities. Could it be that you are projecting your fears regarding possibly being that way yourself some day?

The biter bit? Yes, behind every question there is possibly a laughing demon or a phantom of fear. My question wasn't, as far as I'm aware, penned through projected fear, though I do wonder why people who have lived decent lives are condemned to hobble into madness. No, I wondered at the apparent requirement that we should all carry out the commandments, when some of us were not given the basic materials for so doing. When one accepts the threats of punishment, one wonders why all candidates are not given the same materials, to use as they wish.

Your suggestion that those who are entirely dependent on others are happy is gratifying.
Well, that isn't an argument for equality. That is an argument for adequacy. That is a different question. The interesting thing is there are different views with regard to inadequacy, so let's try to narrow this down. You refer to one who accepts the threats of punishment. By this, do you mean those Who accept HaTorah?
Last edited by bluethread on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.