Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

The Last Days

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

For those believing we live in "the Last Days", a few questions...

1. How do you define "the last days"?

2. When do you think "the last days" officially started?

3. How long a period do you expect "the last days" to last? Considering the name "the last days", should one not expect the last days to be... a few days? If you think the last days have been going on since 1914, shouldn't it then be called "the last decades" or at least "the last years"? Does the term "the last days" not strongly imply a period of just a few days?

4. How would you distinguish the last days from the not-so-last days? How would the world have to look like for us to not be living in the last days? For example, suppose you believe we live in the last days due to war and natural disasters. Would your idea of the not-so-last days be a world completely void of war and natural disasters? What was the tipping point for you? What exactly happened that made you think "ok it's officially the last days"? Was it a specific war? A specific disaster? A specific president?

5. How long do you estimate "the last days" to last? Will the end of the world be next year? Before 2020? Will it be this century? Will it be this millennium?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: The Last Days

Post #41

Post by 2timothy316 »

Justin108 wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:Take your example and add: The name of the pilot. What made to plane crash..
Oh? The Bible did this? Did the Bible predict who would start World War 1? When did the Bible ever make a prediction of that much detail?
Good grief man, did you not read anything? You've got to start retaining what you read. The books of Daniel, Matthew and Revelation. This discussion has turned circular. If you'd like answers to these questions yet again, start reading this thread over again. I don't have the time to repeat myself or repeat what others have posted.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by Justin108 »

2timothy316 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:Take your example and add: The name of the pilot. What made to plane crash..
Oh? The Bible did this? Did the Bible predict who would start World War 1? When did the Bible ever make a prediction of that much detail?
Good grief man, did you not read anything? You've got to start retaining what you read.
I'm not a Christian in case you forgot. While I have read the entire Bible, I don't reread it on a regular basis. As such, I cannot recall exactly where which book said what.
2timothy316 wrote:The books of Daniel, Matthew and Revelation. This discussion has turned circular.
Are you new to Biblical discussion? Normally when someone asks "where in the Bible does it say X", the proper response is normally something like "Genesis 2: 1 - 16". Not "go read Genesis. It's in there somewhere".

For example:

Billy: Jesus says you should love your neighbor
Jack: Where?
Billy: Mark 12:31 'The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these'."

See what Billy did there? Billy didn't just say "look in Mark. It's in there somewhere".
2timothy316 wrote:If you'd like answers to these questions yet again, start reading this thread over again. I don't have the time to repeat myself or repeat what others have posted.
You want me to read the entire books of Daniel, Matthew and Revelation just to see if you're right?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #43

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 42 by Justin108]

Start at the beginning of this thread and read every scripture every link and you will have your answers. This aversion to reading and delving deeper is why you struggle. You want me to tell you what the Bible says in simple form...I do... then you say 'where', then people show you links to view. But oh no reading!! Ack! Did you notice JWs post? Did you follow the links provided? JW broke it down in superbly easy to follow links.
viewtopic.php?p=898842#898842

Are you really wanting answers or do you just want to argue with people where you only goal is to prove someone wrong. Because when I really want to know answers. I read and read and when my eyes are tired I read some more. Nothing stops me from gathering information when I want to really know something. Arguing and proving others wrong doesn't teach me or them anything. How can anyone give you answers when you don't want to read them? It's a hopeless task. I'm not here to convince you. You asked for answers and they are in this thread. Break the mold, dig deeper and go learn something. Even if you don't believe it there is nothing wrong with knowledge. Even if its the Bible. I have knowledge about other religions' doctrines and books. It doesn't hurt me to know about these things. It will not hurt you either. read every word in the articles that JW provided and read for the enjoyment of learning, not ammunition for fights.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by Justin108 »

2timothy316 wrote: [Replying to post 42 by Justin108]

Start at the beginning of this thread and read every scripture every link and you will have your answers. This aversion to reading and delving deeper is why you struggle. You want me to tell you what the Bible says in simple form...I do... then you say 'where', then people show you links to view.
I don't want links, I want quotes. And the links JW provided do not answer my specific questions. You made the claim that the Bible makes incredibly precise predictions.
I asked you to provide an example of such an incredibly precise prediction. None of the links on JW's post is a direct answer to my question. It might be in there somewhere, but as you are the one tasked to proving your claim that the Bible makes incredibly precise predictions, it is on you to prove it. "Go read these links. The proof might be in there somewhere" is not an answer to my question.
2timothy316 wrote: But oh no reading!!
I don't mind reading, but don't expect me to read page after page when my question can be answered by quoting a paragraph. Ironic that you would accuse me of refusing to read when you're the one refusing to quote. Is it that hard to just quote the verses you claim to be so spectacular? You write paragraph after paragraph telling me to "just read JW's links" and "just read Daniel, Revelation, etc." when all you had to do is quote a verse or two from the Bible. Why is that so hard? Everyone else on this forum does that. Everyone else has the basic courtesy of quoting a scripture whenever they are referring to one. Why can't you? Stop trying to buy more time. Stop making excuses. If you want to claim that the Bible makes incredible predictions, then quote it. Don't give me a link, don't give me the name of a book. Anything other than a direct quote supporting your claim will be disregarded as an inability to support your claims.
2timothy316 wrote: Because when I really want to know answers. I read and read and when my eyes are tired I read some more.
But it's too hard to just... quote a piece of scripture?

See here's the thing. If I knew for a fact that the information you claim is in the Bible is actually in the Bible, then I will gladly read it. I will gladly read a history book on World War 2 if I knew for a fact it contained the date of Pearl Harbor, for example. But you claim the Bible makes incredibly precise predictions. I do not know if your claim is true. For all I know, reading the entire Bible will be a waste of time and I will find nothing in it as incredible as you claim. Due to the interpretive nature of the Bible, you and I can read over the exact same piece of scripture. You will find it an incredibly precise prediction whereas I will just see it as vague ramblings. That is why it's important to quote exactly what scripture you believe to be an incredibly accurate prediction. And given that I asked specific questions, JW's links will not do. So I repeat. Give me a direct quote. Anything other than a direct quote supporting your claim will be disregarded as an inability to support your claims. I am not being unreasonable. Literally everyone on this forum follows this debate etiquette. Whenever someone claims the Bible says something, they either follow it with a quote by default, or they do so on request. But for some reason, you can't be bothered to do something so exceedingly simple. Did you forget where these verses are? Is that it?

Quote the verses or don't bother replying.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #45

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 44 by Justin108]

You didn't delve deep otherwise you wouldn't have said any of this.
This link alone answers how the Bible points to 1914. I bet you didn't make it past the first paragraph if at all. You wanted something precise it is right in the link below. It explains how the date of 1914 was discovered in great detail. Why aren't you reading it and then commenting back to me or JW about it? Because you don't read? Why do you wish to stay in the dark? What are you afraid of by reading?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... -prophecy/

I'm done with this conversation as there is no conversation to be had. You could have quoted something from the links given to you. But no, nothing like that eh? If you will not read what is given to you then what's the point? Those that waste time and don't read what is given to them are added to my ignore list, so welcome to my ignore list. Now I can quickly find people's posts that do read what is given to them. Even if they disagree I can handle that much better than a person that chooses ignorance because of some aversion to, how did you put it, 'delving into it deeper'. I'll let you in on a little secret. The Bible is a deep book. It doesn't have pictures in it. It requires study. If you're not ready for that, then perhaps you'd be happier with books that have fewer words and pictures is more your style? The TDD forum is for folks that like to swim in the big pool of knowledge not the kiddie pool world of Dr Seuss.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #46

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 45 by 2timothy316]

Its true one has to study but any obervant perdon can percrive we live in momentous times.

Jesus predicted these would be the last days
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #47

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Jesus predicted these would be the last days
Jesus predicted that the days immediately after his death would be the last days. They weren't and these days aren't either.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #48

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 47 by Tcg]

INDEX

GLOSSARY OF TERMS [END TIMES]

LAST DAYS GENERATION

What are "the last days"? [FAQ]
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 42#p898842

Is it possible to pinpoint the exact DATE this present system will be destroyed?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 23#p891423

How specific can we be regarding end time prophecies?
viewtopic.php?p=1047971#p1047971

How long is a "biblical" generation ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 02#p898902
THIS GENERATION (MATTHEW 24)
Who was Jesus speaking to when he referred to "this generation"?
viewtopic.php?p=1055840#p1055840

Since 1st century disciples asked Jesus when the things he spoke about would happen, does that not mean the answer must concern the 1st century ?
viewtopic.php?p=1054866#p1054866

Does the fact that Jesus was speaking TO his 1st century disciples at Matthew chapter 24 mean he could only speak about issues effecting first century disciples? ( you , we )
viewtopic.php?p=1054865#p1054865

Does the word THIS have to be indicative of that which is present at the time of speaking?
viewtopic.php?p=1054804#p1054804

Which is the GENERATION Jesus claimed would not pass away before his return?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 19#p752219

What are "THESE THINGS" that Jesus said that "last" generation would witness?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 61#p775061

Did Jesus not frequently refer to "this generation" when speaking of those alive in the first century?
viewtopic.php?p=1055711#p1055711

Why did Jesus refer to a generation not "passing away" if he was referring to a single event?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 219#p75221
MATTHEW 16
Did Jesus say the people "standing" with him would witness his return? (Mat 16:27)
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 24#p836624
FURTHER READING:

Are We Living in the Last Days?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... last-days/

1914: A Significant Year in Bible Prophecy
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... -prophecy/

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

THE GENTILE TIMES , THE LAST DAYS and ...THE GENERATION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 12 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TripleZ
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by TripleZ »

2timothy316 wrote: 1. How do you define "the last days"?

Matthew 24:3-14 and 2 Timothy 3:1-5 are a couple of the scriptures that tell us what to look for.

It started when the 'appointed times of the nations' was completed. (Luke 21:24) Which then was immediately followed by a war in Heaven and Satan was cast out out of Heaven. (Rev 12:7,8,12.)

3. How long a period do you expect "the last days" to last?

No one knows dates or how many days. (Matthew 24:36)

What we do know is that when the world leaders are crying out that there is 'peace and security' that will mark the beginning of the Great Tribulation and the end of the 'last days' period. (1 Thess 5:3) Very soon after that declaration there will begin an attack on religions of the world. World governments will start dismantling them. Not even the major ones of the world will survive as they will have lost all support from people. (Revelation 17:16, 17)

4. How would you distinguish the last days from the not-so-last days?

I don't understand the question.

5. How long do you estimate "the last days" to last? Will the end of the world be next year? Before 2020? Will it be this century? Will it be this millennium?

Refer to the answer given to question 3. I will add that we are to 'keep in expectation of it' even if seems like to us it is delaying. The day is set it hasn't changed and every second that goes by is one second closer to it. It will not be early and it will not be late. (Habakkuk 2:3)
well what cane we do, those who believe this is the last days do so by their own misunderstanding or have been frightened by others to believe this..There are certain things/events that will take place in a certain order as per Scripture, which will happen..that will be the start of the end times.
BTW, and it is NOT Matthew 24...

TripleZ
Banned
Banned

Post #50

Post by TripleZ »

Justin108 wrote: For those believing we live in "the Last Days", a few questions...

1. How do you define "the last days"?

3. How long a period do you expect "the last days" to last? Considering the name "the last days", should one not expect the last days to be... a few days? If you think the last days have been going on since 1914, shouldn't it then be called "the last decades" or at least "the last years"? Does the term "the last days" not strongly imply a period of just a few days?

4. How would you distinguish the last days from the not-so-last days? How would the world have to look like for us to not be living in the last days? For example, suppose you believe we live in the last days due to war and natural disasters. Would your idea of the not-so-last days be a world completely void of war and natural disasters? What was the tipping point for you? What exactly happened that made you think "ok it's officially the last days"? Was it a specific war? A specific disaster? A specific president?

You are correct, we are surly NOT in the last days yet.. The first sign on the " start " of the last days will be the rebuilding/restoration of the Temple of David....Israel has already breed a red heifer and have mad another special 7 arm candle holder of pure gold. sorry it is called " Menorah "..I am not too sure about the Curtain for the Temple or the other Temple tools etc.

and:
o, what do we make of this? What significance does this torn veil have for us today? Above all, the tearing of the veil at the moment of Jesus' death dramatically symbolized that His sacrifice, the shedding of His own blood, was a sufficient atonement for sins. It signified that now the way into the Holy of Holies was open for all people, for all time, both Jew and Gentile