Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

The Last Days

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

For those believing we live in "the Last Days", a few questions...

1. How do you define "the last days"?

2. When do you think "the last days" officially started?

3. How long a period do you expect "the last days" to last? Considering the name "the last days", should one not expect the last days to be... a few days? If you think the last days have been going on since 1914, shouldn't it then be called "the last decades" or at least "the last years"? Does the term "the last days" not strongly imply a period of just a few days?

4. How would you distinguish the last days from the not-so-last days? How would the world have to look like for us to not be living in the last days? For example, suppose you believe we live in the last days due to war and natural disasters. Would your idea of the not-so-last days be a world completely void of war and natural disasters? What was the tipping point for you? What exactly happened that made you think "ok it's officially the last days"? Was it a specific war? A specific disaster? A specific president?

5. How long do you estimate "the last days" to last? Will the end of the world be next year? Before 2020? Will it be this century? Will it be this millennium?

showme
Sage

Re: The Last Days

Post #51

Post by showme »

Justin108 wrote: For those believing we live in "the Last Days", a few questions...

3. How long a period do you expect "the last days" to last? Considering the name "the last days", should one not expect the last days to be... a few days? If you think the last days have been going on since 1914, shouldn't it then be called "the last decades" or at least "the last years"? Does the term "the last days" not strongly imply a period of just a few days?

4. How would you distinguish the last days from the not-so-last days? How would the world have to look like for us to not be living in the last days? For example, suppose you believe we live in the last days due to war and natural disasters. Would your idea of the not-so-last days be a world completely void of war and natural disasters? What was the tipping point for you? What exactly happened that made you think "ok it's officially the last days"? Was it a specific war? A specific disaster? A specific president?

5. How long do you estimate "the last days" to last? Will the end of the world be next year? Before 2020? Will it be this century? Will it be this millennium?
When Jacob has been "crushed in judgment", and "acknowledge their guilt" (Hosea 5 & 6), then will be the ingathering, and the healing of Judah and Ephraim. That timing has to do with the "capturing" of "Jerusalem" by the "nations", which are then crushed (Daniel 2:35 & Zechariah 14:1-3). Right now, we are at "Judah" and "Jerusalem" have been restored (Joel 3:1), and the "nations" have been gathered "against Jerusalem" (Zechariah 14:2), and we now just have to wait for the bell to ring, or the horn to blast.

Deuteronomy 4:30 When you are in distress and all these things have happened to you, then in later days you will return to the LORD your God and obey him.

TripleZ
Banned
Banned

Post #52

Post by TripleZ »

2timothy316 wrote: 1. How do you define "the last days"?

Matthew 24:3-14 and 2 Timothy 3:1-5 are a couple of the scriptures that tell us what to look for.

It started when the 'appointed times of the nations' was completed. (Luke 21:24) Which then was immediately followed by a war in Heaven and Satan was cast out out of Heaven. (Rev 12:7,8,12.)

3. How long a period do you expect "the last days" to last?

No one knows dates or how many days. (Matthew 24:36)

What we do know is that when the world leaders are crying out that there is 'peace and security' that will mark the beginning of the Great Tribulation and the end of the 'last days' period. (1 Thess 5:3) Very soon after that declaration there will begin an attack on religions of the world. World governments will start dismantling them. Not even the major ones of the world will survive as they will have lost all support from people. (Revelation 17:16, 17)

4. How would you distinguish the last days from the not-so-last days?

I don't understand the question.

Refer to the answer given to question 3. I will add that we are to 'keep in expectation of it' even if seems like to us it is delaying. The day is set it hasn't changed and every second that goes by is one second closer to it. It will not be early and it will not be late. (Habakkuk 2:3)
not correct;

Matthew 24:3
he sat: Mat 21:1; Mar 13:3-4
the disciples: Mat 13:10-11, Mat 13:36, Mat 15:12, Mat 17:19
Tell: Dan 12:6-8; Luk 21:7; Joh 21:21-22; Act 1:7; 1Th 5:1-11
the sign: Mat 24:32-33, Mat 24:43
the end: Mat 13:39-40, Mat 13:49, Mat 28:20; Heb 9:26
shown is one connection with Matthew, Matthew concerns only Israel and was given only to Israel and Yeshua Himself told us.. Mat 15:24 He said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Isra'el." ,, so there it is, from His mouth to a gentile woman, by the Lord Himself...

Herein, is a warning; Mat 24:4 Yeshua replied: "Watch out! Don't let anyone fool you!

Mat 24:13 But whoever holds out till the end will be delivered.
Mat 24:14 And this Good News about the Kingdom will be announced throughout the whole world as a witness to all the Goyim. It is then that the end will come.

We are the Gentiles, that is NON Jews/Hebrew/Israel NOT of Judaism...
This is still in progress....

Mat 24:15 "So when you see the abomination that causes desolation spoken about through the prophet Dani'el standing in the Holy Place" (let the reader understand the allusion),
Mat 24:16 "that will be the time for those in Y'hudah to escape to the hills.
Mat 24:17 If someone is on the roof, he must not go down to gather his belongings from his house;
Mat 24:18 if someone is in the field, he must not turn back to get his coat.
Mat 24:19 What a terrible time it will be for pregnant women and nursing mothers!
Mat 24:20 Pray that you will not have to escape in winter or on Shabbat.

Point one, mostly ONLY people from/in the East/Middle East actually use the flat roof of their home on a daily basis, they are made to be a flat area, unlike our Gentile sloping roof houses.

Point two, we Gentiles are NOT concerned with the " sabbath "..

Point three, not everyone work in the " field " and there are always nursing mums.

Point four, what, where and when is the " Holy Place " it was in israle but now there is NO Temple any more. The Romans destroyed it and turned over ever stone so as to find the melted GOLD from the destroyed Temple, back in the day..

Point five, who is right now living in Judah / Y'hudah ?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #53

Post by boatsnguitars »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:59 am
A little under two average human lifespans (roughly about 120-160 years)
Except a generation is 20-30 years. Which means your calculations should be based on 40-60.

No wonder JW's are always wrong, they can't do math!
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

bjs1
Sage

Post #54

Post by bjs1 »

:warning: Moderator Final Warning

This site is for debating ideas, not people. If you think someone is in error to argue for what you think the truth is. Saying that JW's are "always wrong" or that they can't do math is an attack, not a debate. Please adopt a more civil attitude in the future.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator final warnings serve as the last strike towards users. Additional violations will result in a probation vote. Further infractions will lead to banishment. Any challenges or replies to moderator warnings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #53]
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by boatsnguitars »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:23 pm :warning: Moderator Final Warning

This site is for debating ideas, not people. If you think someone is in error to argue for what you think the truth is. Saying that JW's are "always wrong" or that they can't do math is an attack, not a debate. Please adopt a more civil attitude in the future.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator final warnings serve as the last strike towards users. Additional violations will result in a probation vote. Further infractions will lead to banishment. Any challenges or replies to moderator warnings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

I should have said, "always wrong, thus far, about their predictions about the End Times". Yes, i agree, they aren't always wrong. They seem to be very correct about the absence of the idea of the trinity in the Bible, and staying out of politics.

But, I don't intend to be rude to the person. I love the person, I just don't like the belief system. I don't hate the sinner, I hate the sin (of religion).
― Omar Khayyâm

onewithhim
Savant

Post #56

Post by onewithhim »

boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:36 pm
bjs1 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:23 pm :warning: Moderator Final Warning

Please review the Rules.

I should have said, "always wrong, thus far, about their predictions about the End Times". Yes, i agree, they aren't always wrong. They seem to be very correct about the absence of the idea of the trinity in the Bible, and staying out of politics.

But, I don't intend to be rude to the person. I love the person, I just don't like the belief system. I don't hate the sinner, I hate the sin (of religion).
That is just what over 8 million Jehovah's Witnesses say about your "sin of religion." Can we discuss the points relative to the religion aspect, and not keep slamming the other's religion? WHY do you hate the religion that JWs stand by? Surely you can recognize that many other religions have tried to figure out when the last days would be here and the Great Tribulation, and NOBODY figured it out. Why single out JWs for getting their predictions wrong?

MissKate13
Sage

Post #57

Post by MissKate13 »

Justin108 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:07 am For those believing we live in "the Last Days", a few questions...

1. The last days are the Christian dispensation

2. The last days began on the day of Pentecost AD 33 (Acts 2:16-17). 16 “But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: 17‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;

Acts 2:33 “Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.

Hebrews 1:1-2 “God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways,
2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.”

3. No one knows the day or hour when Jesus will come again. The last days will be until then. Jesus is King and has been since He ascended into heaven. He has been reigning and ruling over His kingdom for nearly 2000 years. Just prior to His ascension, Jesus promised to be with us always.

The Scriptures speak of ONE second coming, and of that day and hour no one knows. When Jesus comes again, it will be to judge, and EVERY EYE WILL SEE HIM. It will NOT be an INVISIBLE PRESENCE. Every knee will now including JW’s who refuse to worship Him in this life.

Watchtower’s 1914 - the conclusion of the system of things never happened. Armageddon didn’t end and paradise didn’t begin. So what was Watchtower to do? They simply changed the meaning of 1914.

Watchtower today teaches that 1914 marked the end of the Gentile Times and the date of Jesus Christ’s invisible presence.

God hates false prophets, and Watchtower’s many many failed prophesies are well documented.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #58

Post by boatsnguitars »

Religions can't make predictions. Religions are man-made 'philsophies' that are based on superstitious feelings and are used to manipulate people into giving their time and money in exchange for emotional support based on a "happy lie" (you'll live forever, be reincarnated, etc.) Religion doesn't approach things scientifically, thus can't measure or know things about our universe. All religions have been wrong about the 'end of the world', but science has somethings to say about the end of the Earth, or at least Life as we know it:

1. Asteroid impact: A large asteroid impact could potentially cause catastrophic damage to the planet, leading to the extinction of all or most life on Earth.

2. Supervolcanic eruption: A supervolcanic eruption could release huge amounts of ash, gas, and dust into the atmosphere, blocking out the sun and causing a global cooling effect that could last for years or even decades.

3. Gamma-ray burst: A gamma-ray burst is a powerful burst of high-energy radiation that can be emitted by certain types of stars. If a gamma-ray burst were to hit the Earth, it could potentially strip away the planet's ozone layer and lead to mass extinction.

4. Solar flare: A large solar flare or coronal mass ejection from the sun could potentially cause significant damage to the Earth's electrical and communication systems, leading to widespread chaos and disruption.

5. Black hole: If a black hole were to pass close enough to the Earth, it could potentially disrupt the planet's orbit and cause it to spiral out of control, leading to the destruction of the planet.

6. Runaway greenhouse effect: If greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise unchecked, it could potentially trigger a runaway greenhouse effect that would render the planet uninhabitable for most forms of life.

7. Nuclear war: A large-scale nuclear war could potentially cause catastrophic damage to the planet, leading to widespread destruction and loss of life.

8. Rogue planet: If a rogue planet were to collide with the Earth, it could potentially cause catastrophic damage to the planet and lead to the extinction of all or most life on Earth.

9. Heat death of the universe: This is a theoretical scenario where the universe continues to expand and cool until it reaches a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no more work can be done. This would result in a "heat death" where there is no more energy to power any form of life or activity. However, this scenario is predicted to take trillions upon trillions of years, so it's not something humans need to worry about in the immediate future.
― Omar Khayyâm

onewithhim
Savant

Post #59

Post by onewithhim »

MissKate13 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:01 pm
Justin108 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:07 am For those believing we live in "the Last Days", a few questions...

1. The last days are the Christian dispensation

2. The last days began on the day of Pentecost AD 33 (Acts 2:16-17). 16 “But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: 17‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
1. What is "the Christian dispensation"?

2. The last days began in the year 1914, and this can be sensed by ruminating over what actually happened in that year. The Bible tells us that Jesus took his throne about the same time that Satan was cast out of heaven, and Satan was indeed angry about that. He certainly was instrumental in starting World War I...."the day the world went mad," according to some journalists. That makes sense, seeing as he was hyper mad. We have been in the last days, and the culmination of these last days will soon be evident, with the beginning of the Great Tribulation.

I'd be careful with what you say about Jehovah's Witnesses, because we are Christ's real 'church' and he is guiding us in our preaching work. You are fighting against Him. He never asked to be worshipped, and, indeed, he said that the Father, YHWH, alone must be worshipped (quoting from the Old Testament, which he did constantly). (Luke 4:8) He did not seek glory for himself. (John 7:16-18; John 8:50) Make sure you are walking the same path as Jesus walked and as he commissioned his followers to walk (Matthew 7: 13,14,21-23) Anyone speaking against Jesus' congregation is battling against Him Himself. Do you want to do that?

The Watchtower had made some errors in what was to happen on certain years, but that is no reason to condemn them. Other religions had made similar predictions. Now the playing field is leveled. All religions have been wrong. So let's go from here, with all religions at the starting gate, so to speak. 1914 was understood to be the end of the Gentile times, and this was significant....no other religion discerned that truth. Russell thought that they would go to heaven in that year; he was wrong but he discerned the end of the times of the nations. There was still a lot of work to do.