who founded the Roman church?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dio9
Under Probation

who founded the Roman church?

Post #1

Post by dio9 »

Who founded the Roman Church? When Paul met with Peter James and John after his conversion and presented his Gospel they told him to be the apostle to the gentiles. . Peter would be the apostle to the Jews. But someone established the Roman Church. . Who was it? Not Paul. Peter is said to be the first bishop of Rome but how does this figure with Peter being the apostle to the Jews?

Any ideas about who started the Roman Church?

Galatians 2 : 7 On the contrary, they recognized that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the gospel to the uncircumcised,[a] just as Peter had been to the circumcised. 8 For God, who was at work in Peter as an apostle to the circumcised, was also at work in me as an apostle to the Gentiles.

So who started the Roman Church?

was the Roman Church Jewish Christians?

brianbbs67
Guru

Re: who founded the Roman church?

Post #2

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 1 by dio9]

Constantine put it in motion after a 312 ad battle victory by placing the Chi Rho on the shield and banners. Became the state religion in 325. By 353?, the Nicean council put non Trinitarians to rest(look up Arius and Athenaseus). Worship practices changed, maybe not for the better. Holy Days (holidays) changed too. I believe this is where we went way off track and have yet to recover.

Early followers of The Way, as they called themselves, keep the Sabbath, met in synagogues and kept the original Holy days. Even most still followed the Law set by Moses. The later disciples did gather at Sunset Saturday(Sunday by the Torah) and have communion and discuss Christ. But, they kept the Sabbath as Christ said the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Although some adopted what Peter bound and released in Acts. Paul and Peter did not get along at all, if we believe Acts. They could not even share a boat together.

Did you know Jesus is not His name? Just a Greek transliteration of a sort as Yeshua/Jeshua/Yehosua did not translate.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: who founded the Roman church?

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by dio9]

I would say Constantine; at least he laid the foundation for its central teachings and policies establishing it as a State religion. The Catholic church developed over the following century, but yes, I'd say it had its very beginnings with Emperor Constantine.

RELATED POSTS

Did Jesus indicate that the many billions of people professing to be Christians will be counted as such by him?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 304#838304

VIDEO LECTURE In Their Own Tongue and Style of Writing (See 22"min 41)
https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/VODPgm ... 01_7_VIDEO

Further Information: The Two Babylons - Alexanders Hyssop (conclusion)
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

polonius
Prodigy

Apostles and early Christians founded the Christian churches

Post #4

Post by polonius »

Constantine did not found the Christian Church. It was in existence by the late first century. Originally, some individuals and apostles founded individual Christian communities. Some of them joined up, most notably many of those founded by Paul.

Acts of the Apostles identifies the early Jewish-Christian community of Jerusalem.

What Constantine did was establish a legal basis for the new official religion of Rome and resolved some territorial disputes and aided in resolution of a few theological issues.

The common sense proof that he did not found the religion is the fact that he called all the world’s bishops to a church council (Nicaea) in 325 AD. These were the numerous bishop successors to those who founded the Christian churches.

For those interested in the subject, there is an excellent historical reference by a scripture scholar and historian available in paperback. I probably can be found in most libraries.

The Churches the Apostles Left Behind

by Raymond E. Brown

"A distinguished scholar looks at seven different New Testament churches after the death of the apostles."

dio9
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by dio9 »

um...Indeed Constantine legalized Christianity. My question though is who started , who was the missionary to Rome , the Christians to whom Paul was writing after his arrest in Jerusalem . Paul had not been to Rome.

Who do you think evangelized Rome?

Rome was evangelized by someone before Paul got there . Paul got there about 50 Ad. or so , does anyone have an idea?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

dio9 wrote:Rome was evangelized by someone before Paul got there . Paul got there about 50 Ad. or so , does anyone have an idea?
Acts records that "sojourners from Rome, both Jews and proselytes� were present when Peter and the Apostles preached to the crowds at Pentecost 33, many of which became believers . After staying and being taught by the Apostles for some time they would have returned home with their new found faith (see Acts 2:10, 42).

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

dio9
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

So you are suggesting those who heard Peter's Pentecost proclamation on returning home (to Rome ) brought the word the resurrection and the beginning of the Messianic age with them and sort of started the Roman church on that inspiration . Am I reading you correctly?

Terrific! Thanks for that original answer.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #8

Post by brianbbs67 »

I misunderstood what you were looking for specifically. Its seems to me as JW has said. As to a specific disciple , I don't believe anyone knows.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

So you are suggesting those who heard Peter's Pentecost proclamation on returning home (to Rome ) brought the word the resurrection and the beginning of the Messianic age with them and sort of started the Roman church on that inspiration . Am I reading you correctly?

Terrific! Thanks for that original answer.

I just referred to scriputre. The only thing that I said which is not explicitly stated in bible (I included scriptures, if you are not adverse to reading) is that the Roman converts returned home. Are you suggesting that none of the believers at Pentecost (of Roman origin) returned to Italy ? or that when they did they immediately lost their faith? I don't expect an answer on your part but if the Christians of Pentecost did not immediately forget everything they had been taught by the Apostles, it is a reasonable conclusion that the new converts returned to Italy and continued in their faith, speaking and teaching about Jesus (and logically making further converts) in Rome; resulting in an ever growing group (congregation) of Roman believers.

That is the answer to your question based on the scriptures in the bible although I've no doubt Catholics have a story of Saint Leonardo of the miraculous holy Pasta and the chapel built by him in the shape of a two layered pizza to mark the spot where he first step foot in Rome and found some speggetti in a field in the shape of a cross, that may well be more to your pleasing.

JW

dio9
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

So if the first believers in Rome were Jewish. it would explain Peter's going there since he was the appointed apostle to the Jews.