Bias free?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

amortalman
Site Supporter

Bias free?

Post #1

Post by amortalman »

In another thread, someone asked the question, "Can you set aside your own bias and free your minds to the truth about Jesus if there is any truth at all?"

It got me wondering if one can really be free of biases. It seems to me that if you tried to rid yourself of bias X you might swing too far toward bias Y. What are your thoughts on this?

So the question for debate is:

Can one be free of biases?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by ttruscott »

The more one acknowledges his own bias and the optional biases called points of view offered by others, then the free-er we are to choose our bias on principle, not on emotionally influential but essentially meaningless past experiences or the unexamined values of others.

NO, we cannot be free of bias but we can choose that which forms our bias because we think it is a more moral pov that the others offered.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #22

Post by TSGracchus »

[Replying to post 5 by amortalman]

We evolved to eat when food was available, because it was usually scarce. Thus, when plenty of food is available we over eat. Most "sin" is just doing what we are designed to do when circumstances make our natural impulses manifest in an unsuitable environment. Few indeed, are those who can interpose their human reasoning on the more primitive behavior.

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." -- Romans 7:15 NIV

:study:

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: Bias free?

Post #23

Post by AgnosticBoy »

amortalman wrote: In another thread, someone asked the question, "Can you set aside your own bias and free your minds to the truth about Jesus if there is any truth at all?"

It got me wondering if one can really be free of biases. It seems to me that if you tried to rid yourself of bias X you might swing too far toward bias Y. What are your thoughts on this?

So the question for debate is:

Can one be free of biases?
Bias has to do with "prejudice". If "y" in your example involves truth, logic, and verifiable evidence, then it would not be a bias to be in favor of "y" since "y" does not involve prejudice.

I don't believe that it's possible for anyone to be free of bias, but I do believe that there are systems of thought that are bias free. I find that agnosticism is one example when it comes to many philosophical and scientific topics.