Did Jesus come to make gods?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Prince
Scholar

Did Jesus come to make gods?

Post #1

Post by Prince »

When Jesus said that His brothers and sisters do the will of His heavenly Father He was in effect saying there are more son's of God. He also said that those who judge are gods according to scripture. Then said those who follow Him would sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

So I propose that Jesus came to make brother's and sisters like Himself. Giving them His authority and sending them to do the will of God as He did.

Scripture reference;

Matthew 12:50

"For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Psalm 82

1 God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
2 "How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? (Selah)
3 Give justice to the weak and the orphan; maintain the right of the lowly and the destitute.
4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked."
5 They have neither knowledge nor understanding, they walk around in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
6 I say, "You are gods, children of the Most High, all of you;
7 nevertheless, you shall die like mortals, and fall like any prince."
8 Rise up, O god, judge the earth; for all the nations belong to you!

Luke 22

28 "You are those who have stood by me in my trials;
29 and I confer on you, just as my Father has conferred on me, a kingdom,
30 so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

John17;

22 The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one,
23 I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

John 7:24

24 Do not judge by appearances, but judge with righteous judgment.

Prince
Scholar

Post #2

Post by Prince »

Notice in the verse below Jesus says that those who are sanctified and do God's will are the son of God. In John 17 Jesus sanctifies His followers and sends them into the world just as He was sent. Jesus' followers are also to do the works He did which again He says proves they are gods.

This shows that His followers are the son of God.

Scriptural reference;

John 10

34 Jesus answered, "Is it not written in your law, "I said, you are gods'?
35 If those to whom the word of God came were called "gods'—and the scripture cannot be annulled—
36 can you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, "I am God's Son'?
37 If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me.
38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

We certainly become adopted sons and coheirs with Christ.

But what do you mean by becoming a god?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Prince
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Prince »

Wootah wrote: We certainly become adopted sons and coheirs with Christ.

But what do you mean by becoming a god?
I mean to become like Jesus with His authority and glory to judge the nations. You call it adopted but Jesus never said anything about His brothers and sisters as being adopted.

He said those that do the will of God are His brothers and sisters. In His eyes they are equal to Him since He is the light of the world and describes His followers as such.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 4 by Prince]

Brothers and sister yes but that doesnt imply equals.

Is cain equal to abel? Were josephs brothers equal to joseph?

When we ask what Jesus came to do i think we can both agree he came to give life. John 10:10.

Also we are already like God, being made in his image. Even those that go to hell are like God.

I wouldnt worry to much about what we become in heaven. It will be awesome. We will be more Christlike but what that means is not the omni powers of God but the servant nature of God.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Prince
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Prince »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Prince]

Brothers and sister yes but that doesnt imply equals.

Is cain equal to abel? Were josephs brothers equal to joseph?

When we ask what Jesus came to do i think we can both agree he came to give life. John 10:10.

Also we are already like God, being made in his image. Even those that go to hell are like God.

I wouldnt worry to much about what we become in heaven. It will be awesome. We will be more Christlike but what that means is not the omni powers of God but the servant nature of God.
Jesus did elude to the fact His true followers are considered equal when He called them the light of the world and stated they are given His glory and made one with God as He is.

Christianity puts Jesus in a position He did not even mention and would not agree with.

He sent His followers as equals. Christianity fails His commission.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #7

Post by brianbbs67 »

"doesn't your own scripture say , ye are gods?" We are not gods, as clearly is exampled by whats on TV today. Just because Christ counts us with him, does not mean we are him. When i was in the Army, we all considered each other the same, yet knew we were not.

marco
Savant

Re: Did Jesus come to make gods?

Post #8

Post by marco »

Prince wrote:
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:

Who on earth wants to "judge the twelve tribes" ?

Your quotes, if taken literally, would suggest polytheism. Obviously calling someone a god is simply a piece of praise or flattery. We do this today with pop stars. We may become kings too, but uncrowned. When we have lots of power and possessions we are said to be kings. Poetry frequently uses hyperbolic praise. Keats believes his nightingale wasn't born for death. And you have quoted the poetry of the psalms. Take what you will from them, but don't take them literally.

Prince
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Prince »

brianbbs67 wrote: "doesn't your own scripture say , ye are gods?" We are not gods, as clearly is exampled by whats on TV today. Just because Christ counts us with him, does not mean we are him. When i was in the Army, we all considered each other the same, yet knew we were not.
You may not be a God but that does not mean Jesus does not want you to be.

The scriptures indicate His followers are suppose to do what He did. Though Christianity teaches Paul rather than Jesus.

Prince
Scholar

Re: Did Jesus come to make gods?

Post #10

Post by Prince »

marco wrote:
Prince wrote:
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:

Who on earth wants to "judge the twelve tribes" ?

Your quotes, if taken literally, would suggest polytheism. Obviously calling someone a god is simply a piece of praise or flattery. We do this today with pop stars. We may become kings too, but uncrowned. When we have lots of power and possessions we are said to be kings. Poetry frequently uses hyperbolic praise. Keats believes his nightingale wasn't born for death. And you have quoted the poetry of the psalms. Take what you will from them, but don't take them literally.
It was a commission. One can either accept or decline.

It is good to investigate scripture and not just take it as man thinks but as God thinks.