Why do you need to believe in the Christain god?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

Post #1

Post by Donray »

The only reason I can see in belief in the Christian god is life after death. What other reason is there? God does not cure ills because that would not mean that there is not free will. God does not protect believers from being killed because that would interfere with free will of the killer. God does nothing about anyone praying for something. He cannot help because of free will.

If God does anything, then free will does not exist. If God has a plan and implements that plan then there is no free will.

What is left is only the belief that an afterlife exists. But if it does then most have the wrong idea oir idea of how it exists. For example, you think in the afterlife you will be with let’s say your wife and parents. But, your wife is no longer your wife (remember until death) part? Also, what does look like? Your parents might look like when they were 16 years old could you recognize them? Does god have a computer data base so your fins people? What about if does not want to be found?

Hope for afterlife is the only reason to believe in Christian god, but not one Christin can logically discuss that the afterlife would be like.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Why do you need to believe in the Christain god?

Post #31

Post by ttruscott »

Justin108 wrote:
bjs wrote:
Donray wrote: Why do you need to believe in the Christain god?
Because truth matters.
If the truth matters, why doesn't god reveal the truth in a clear and unambiguous manner to all of us?
Christians believe that YHWH DID reveal the truth of HIS deity and power as it is written in Romans 1. HE did that to prove to HIS sinful elect who thought the judgment was called too quickly upon the demons so they had no chance to repent that the demons would never repent even if they had a billion years to do so AFTER the absolute truth was proven to them!!
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Donray
Guru

Post #32

Post by Donray »

ttruscott wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
bjs wrote:
Because truth matters.
If the truth matters, why doesn't god reveal the truth in a clear and unambiguous manner to all of us?
Christians believe that YHWH DID reveal the truth of HIS deity and power as it is written in Romans 1. HE did that to prove to HIS sinful elect who thought the judgment was called too quickly upon the demons so they had no chance to repent that the demons would never repent even if they had a billion years to do so AFTER the absolute truth was proven to them!!
So, I don't understand why do you need to belive in your god? Because the bible says you must?

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by Justin108 »

ttruscott wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
bjs wrote:
Because truth matters.
Christians believe that YHWH DID reveal the truth of HIS deity and power as it is written in Romans 1.
Then what was the purpose of Paul's road to Damascus experience? If Paul already had the truth revealed to him in a clear and unambiguous way, then the road to Damascus experience would be redundant and ineffective.
ttruscott wrote:HE did that to prove to HIS sinful elect who thought the judgment was called too quickly upon the demons so they had no chance to repent that the demons would never repent even if they had a billion years to do so AFTER the absolute truth was proven to them!!
Please quote where in the Bible this is written?

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by Justin108 »

Donray wrote: For example: I ask if there is sex heaven and they say I don't know what my god allows in heaven.
They say they don't know, and in response you just assume "well I guess they have sex with each other all the time then". Frankly, "I don't know" is a perfectly honest answer. I use that answer all the time when a theist asks me where we came from or what happens when we die.
Donray wrote:remember that martyr get 72 virgins. What do you think they are for? SEX?
Firstly, this does not apply to Christianity. At all. It's not in the Bible. No Christian claims this. It's just not there.

However, if you're referring to the 72 virgins in Islam... well, it's not there either. Sure there are sects in Islam who believe this, usually the extremists. But nowhere in the Quran is the 72 virgin promise made. So it's not even part of Islam either. Assuming for argument sake Islam did promise 72 virgins, I don't see how that's applicable to the discussion of a Christian heaven. Or were you specifically criticizing the Muslim heaven? Specifically the sect of Muslims that believe in a 72 virgin reward?
Donray wrote: Why would a Christian get upset with my fantasy description of heaven? After all, you think all theists are full of it for believing a god myth. That alone would make them mad. You as an atheist know that Christian beliefs are manmade and there is no afterlife, so they pray and worship in vain. Correct?
Yes, but when I point out the irrationality of their beliefs, I do so on concrete matters like the creation myth, Noah's Ark, etc. But once you start criticizing things that do have an explanation (such as heaven), then you make it clear that you're just out to criticize religion for the sake of criticizing religion.

When you criticize Hitler and the Nazi party, is it necessary to make up stories like Hitler being a transsexual cannibal? Or is there more than enough factual information about Hitler to base your criticism on? If someone were to make up a story about Donald Trump molesting children, then it becomes clear that the source is out to assassinate his character rather than criticize the actual flaws in Donald Trump. Yes, I do believe religion is man-made. But I see no point in making things up to criticize when there is so many actual things about religion to criticize instead.
Donray wrote: Why as an atheist are you so concerned what a Christians cares I say about heaven?
Because atheists actively making things up to criticize about Christianity gives atheism a bad name. It gives credence to theists who claim atheists are atheists because they do not want to understand Christianity. If you want to provide valid criticism against what Christians believe, the logical first step is to criticize what they actually believe.

peterk
Student

Post #35

Post by peterk »

Because I consider Christianity is true.
Rationally, why else would anyone believe anything?

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #36

Post by H.sapiens »

peterk wrote:
Donray wrote: Why do you need to believe in the Christian god?
I take exception to your claim, the support you attempt to show (in another thread) for Christianity has been shown to be a misplaced argument from authority and thus irrational.

peterk
Student

Post #37

Post by peterk »

H.sapiens wrote:
peterk wrote:
I take exception to your claim, the support you attempt to show (in another thread) for Christianity has been shown to be a misplaced argument from authority and thus irrational.
Hi H. Sapiens, thanks for taking the time to reply. If you want to discuss any topics I'm happy to interact with you. All I ask is that the discussion is conducted with mutual respect.

For instance, I am comfortable assuming that you have looked at the claims for Christianity and do not find them persuasive. Therefore you have rejected them. To me, that's a rational and internally coherent position. It would be just plain stupid if you believed despite the lack of evidence.

Now all I'm asking is that you treat me with the same respect. I too think it would be stupid of me to believe in the absence of evidence. Which is why I have chosen to believe precisely because when I looked at the claims of Christianity they seemed true to me. If I found them true but rejected them, that would be the irrational position.

Of course I may be wrong, but that's the position all of us are in if we commit to seeking truth wherever it may be found. You're welcome to courteously show me where I'm wrong and maybe we will come to understand each other a little better.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #38

Post by H.sapiens »

peterk wrote:
H.sapiens wrote:
peterk wrote:
Hi H. Sapiens, thanks for taking the time to reply. If you want to discuss any topics I'm happy to interact with you. All I ask is that the discussion is conducted with mutual respect.

For instance, I am comfortable assuming that you have looked at the claims for Christianity and do not find them persuasive. Therefore you have rejected them. To me, that's a rational and internally coherent position. It would be just plain stupid if you believed despite the lack of evidence.

Now all I'm asking is that you treat me with the same respect. I too think it would be stupid of me to believe in the absence of evidence. Which is why I have chosen to believe precisely because when I looked at the claims of Christianity they seemed true to me. If I found them true but rejected them, that would be the irrational position.

Of course I may be wrong, but that's the position all of us are in if we commit to seeking truth wherever it may be found. You're welcome to courteously show me where I'm wrong and maybe we will come to understand each other a little better.
I respect you as a fellow human being but I do not respect your views. It appears to me that your gambit is to require mutual respect for views and thereby, de facto, establish a level playing field that, at worst, permits you to retreat into the "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" morass. You may be entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. You make the claim that Christianity is true, but have no evidence to support that claim. You try to slip a logical fallacy (argument from authority) into the mix and assume that you'll get away with it. This may be your first rodeo, but its not mine, thus your second gambit, which is no more rational than your first. Strike Two! You want a slider or just plain heat right down the middle of the plate?

peterk
Student

Post #39

Post by peterk »

H.sapiens wrote: I respect you as a fellow human being but I do not respect your views...
Well I guess that is the difference between us. I respect you as a fellow human being, and precisely because of that I also respect your views, whatever they may be. I was and remain willing to listen to you. I'm also happy not to burden you with my beliefs if that's your preference. My only question is: Why would anyone with that attitude choose to participate in this kind of forum in the first place?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #40

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote:
1213 wrote:

The only reason I can see in belief in the Christian god is life after death. What other reason is there?
Afterlife is bad reason to believe, because eternal life is not promised for believing in the existence of God, but for righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

According to the Bible, even demons believe that God is. It doesn’t really seem to be helpful for them.

You believe that God is one. You do well. The demons also believe, and shudder.
James 2:19

I have understood the important thing would be to get wisdom of the just, right understanding and attitude that makes person do right things.
And yet scripture also says that no one is righteous all have gone astray. Jesus says no one is good.
I only have to look at babies to know that what Jesus (supposedly) says here is completely false. Why do you believe that, Wootah? What makes you think that literally not a single human is good?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense