Determinism and Pharoah

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Determinism and Pharoah

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

The background is that pharoah gets his heart hardened from time to time during the plagues/miracles in exodus.

The issue is about free will and determinism.

I actually dont see an issue with God forcing a bad person to do something. Is there any example of God forcing a good person to do something?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Determinism and Pharoah

Post #31

Post by Wootah »

theophile wrote: [Replying to Wootah]

I never get why people jump to determinism and free will violations here while completely ignoring human nature.

Look at a child playing with toys. If another child comes and tries to take one, even one receiving little to no attention, the first child’s natural tendency is to resist, and pull that toy back with great emotion.

In other words, the second child’s action of taking the toy will cause the first child’s heart to harden.

So too with God and Pharoah.

God knows this and predicts this. It is not at all a violation of free will but a rational awareness of the impact of our actions on others.
You could say that our experiences in life can harden our hearts. I just want to explore the usual argument against God denying free will in this thread.

And when you do explore it, from the angle I am thinking of, bad people get denied their free will all the time - it's called prison.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #32

Post by Wootah »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 28 by rikuoamero]

Hmmm... what an interesting question.
Perhaps we've got it all wrong.

Maybe God used all, or almost all of his power creating the universe.
What if...

So many "what ifs..."
What if timeless God re-wrote history?
Would it violate Adam'f freewill? No, he'd love it.
Unless... Adam has the same irrationality as Satan...
unless...
Sure - explore that in a new thread perhaps. Given your magic wand and 6 billion humans how many times a day do you think you would need it to prevent evil?

Willum
Savant

Post #33

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 31 by Wootah]

LOL.

Just twice, Adam and Eve again.
Our timeless God does the same thing... for a different reason.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #34

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote:
Willum wrote: [Replying to post 28 by rikuoamero]

Hmmm... what an interesting question.
Perhaps we've got it all wrong.

Maybe God used all, or almost all of his power creating the universe.
What if...

So many "what ifs..."
What if timeless God re-wrote history?
Would it violate Adam'f freewill? No, he'd love it.
Unless... Adam has the same irrationality as Satan...
unless...
Sure - explore that in a new thread perhaps. Given your magic wand and 6 billion humans how many times a day do you think you would need it to prevent evil?
I really don't see what the number changes about the question. We're not talking about some human who gets tired, and needs to recharge.
We're talking about a God who can create universes, who is all powerful and knows everything. Not even an infinite number of humans a day would be enough to tire it out (or whatever the equivalent for a god would be).

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Wootah
Savant

Post #35

Post by Wootah »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 31 by Wootah]

LOL.

Just twice, Adam and Eve again.
Our timeless God does the same thing... for a different reason.
What did your wand do to only be needed to work twice?

Suppose it worked twice, wouldn't A&E's children and their children, etc also sin at least once per child?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #36

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote:
theophile wrote: [Replying to Wootah]

I never get why people jump to determinism and free will violations here while completely ignoring human nature.

Look at a child playing with toys. If another child comes and tries to take one, even one receiving little to no attention, the first child’s natural tendency is to resist, and pull that toy back with great emotion.

In other words, the second child’s action of taking the toy will cause the first child’s heart to harden.

So too with God and Pharoah.

God knows this and predicts this. It is not at all a violation of free will but a rational awareness of the impact of our actions on others.
You could say that our experiences in life can harden our hearts. I just want to explore the usual argument against God denying free will in this thread.

And when you do explore it, from the angle I am thinking of, bad people get denied their free will all the time - it's called prison.
And yet, in the Sandy Hook thread, you responded to the OP by saying "Free will", as in (From what I was able to piece together from your brief and so far only response on that thread) that God's non-intervention to save the children in Sandy Hook was because he supposedly had to respect the free will of the shooter.
So how do you explain this quandary? A reply here saying that bad people get denied their free will in prison (something I don't disagree with) while (essentially) saying that bad people have to have their free will respected and allowed.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Wootah
Savant

Post #37

Post by Wootah »

rikuoamero wrote: And yet, in the Sandy Hook thread, you responded to the OP by saying "Free will", as in (From what I was able to piece together from your brief and so far only response on that thread) that God's non-intervention to save the children in Sandy Hook was because he supposedly had to respect the free will of the shooter.
So how do you explain this quandary? A reply here saying that bad people get denied their free will in prison (something I don't disagree with) while (essentially) saying that bad people have to have their free will respected and allowed.
God has free will as well. He doesn't have to restrain the hand of every evil person and he can choose to restrain or force the hand of Pharoah. By and large, he allows people to act as they wish but in the end, bad people will go to prison.

But my argument in this thread is there is nothing immoral about hardening Pharoah's heart because he is already evil and deserves restraint. Losing free will is to be restrained.

Willum
Savant

Post #38

Post by Willum »

Wootah wrote:
rikuoamero wrote: And yet, in the Sandy Hook thread, you responded to the OP by saying "Free will", as in (From what I was able to piece together from your brief and so far only response on that thread) that God's non-intervention to save the children in Sandy Hook was because he supposedly had to respect the free will of the shooter.
God has free will as well. He doesn't have to restrain the hand of every evil person and he can choose to restrain or force the hand of Pharoah. By and large, he allows people to act as they wish but in the end, bad people will go to prison.

But my argument in this thread is there is nothing immoral about hardening Pharoah's heart because he is already evil and deserves restraint. Losing free will is to be restrained.
We all are evil, according to Biblical assertion, when we all choose not to do it, such a choice is good. If God is forcing us to do evil, then that violates freewill, and the concept God is good.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #39

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 36 by Wootah]
God has free will as well.
Does he ever choose evil? If no, then the usual apologetic argument of "humans have to have free will in order to choose good, otherwise we'd be robots" falls apart.
If yes, then well...God chooses evil and any apologetic argumentation that God is good and as such we should follow him, also falls apart.

I really don't see how your belief system survives this two pronged attack.
He doesn't have to restrain the hand of every evil person
Why not?
and he can choose to restrain or force the hand of Pharoah.
If he had not messed with Pharaoh's will, evidently going by the story, Pharaoh would have let the Hebrews go and there wouldn't have been plagues, death and destruction.

Seems to me then that hardening Pharaoh's heart is simply an excuse, so that God can show off his awesome God powers.

Put yourself in God's shoes. You've got your chosen people, the Hebrews, enslaved (I won't ask you about the moral quandary of allowing them to be enslaved in the first place after telling them to go to Egypt) and you've got a Pharaoh who, if not for your meddling, would have let them go.
Why on Earth would you choose to harden his heart and go through with the plagues, if not to simply show off? Why not just have the Hebrews leave? And if Pharaoh does decide to not let them go, do a Matrix and have his mouth disappear for a few minutes so he can't give the order to his soldiers.
By and large, he allows people to act as they wish but in the end, bad people will go to prison.
Yes they do go to prison, and yes, in prison, they have their will violated. They are not allowed to do as they want. People are told, growing up, "Be a good person, or you go to prison where you can't do as you want" (to sum up).
Yet on threads like Sandy Hook, this lesson isn't remembered. Instead, it's "God has to respect the free will of the shooter".
But my argument in this thread is there is nothing immoral about hardening Pharoah's heart because he is already evil and deserves restraint.
How can he be evil if he is being forced to do evil things? Remember, the hardening of his heart is what leads to him NOT letting the Hebrews go.
Reworded, what you just said is "It's moral to force the leader of a nation with a population of slaves to keep said slaves in captivity, even if his honest desire is to let them go free"
Losing free will is to be restrained.
Yes it is, and when bad people do bad things, or plan to do bad things, we typically lock them up and prevent them from doing those things.
Yet in the case of Sandy Hook, we have you saying "Free will [is to be respected]" and here on this thread, we have you essentially saying that a king's free will is not to be respected, so that an entire population can be kept in captivity.

It doesn't make sense.