The atonement

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

The atonement

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Does the atonement of Christ make any sense?

Consider the option that Christ is God. Why would God need to sacrifice Himself to Himself in order to give Himself permission to forgive the contrite?

And if Christ is not God, does it make sense that one man,.even a perfect one could atone for the sins of all of humankind by his temporary death?

Also, if Christ is not God but a man, how is that not human sacrifice, an abomination?

After all. even a perfect man is still a man, right?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: The atonement

Post #11

Post by 2timothy316 »

Tart wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Elijah John wrote: And if Christ is not God, does it make sense that one man,.even a perfect one could atone for the sins of all of humankind by his temporary death?
Yes, All things are possible with God, we must not limit the Almighty with our human thinking. Something may seem impossible in our human terms but perfectly possible for the Almighty.

JW
If all things are possible to the Almighty, then why the need for a sacrifice at all? Why not atone for our sins without a sacrifice?

And before you start posting links to other debates, don't bother. Either actually answer my question directly, or don't bother responding.
Hi, i wanted to answer despite being directly linked to the conversation...

The sin sacrifice is actually a profound Judeo law... As far back as the early Israel tribal authority, laws were said to have been written down by Moses, inspired by God, and one law was the sin sacrifice... When ever anyone sinned, or broke a law, they would sacrifice a Ox, or a Sheep, or a Lamb at the temple for atonement...

The Old Testement isnt clear WHY they did this, but just that God commanded it. It is actually pretty bizarre... How can killing a Lamb forgive you for your sin?

See and then Jesus came, and he took Judaism and all its bizzareness and made sense of it... Se Jesus demonstrated righteousness by laying down his life for sinners. By praying for the forgiveness of those killing Him, it is the pinnacle of righteousness, and in doing so Jesus fulfilled God's destiny. Jesus fulfilled God's law, and the sin sacrifice was fulfilled... This was a demonstration of prophecy fulfillment, and a demonstration of perfect righteousness...

If you have questions, one book I might recommend is the book of Hebrews...
Many of the faithful understood the meaning of the sacrifices. Many times most of Israel forgot. They became routine and began meaning nothing. They forgot there is a cost for sin. Death. Also, to lose a lamb, an ox or a bull was very expensive. It was also to set a reminder, that there is a savior coming that will pay for all those sins and the sin sacrifice would no longer be needed.

Jesus indeed made sense of law perfectly. Yet before Jesus there were quite a good number that had maybe not a perfect understanding but a really good one. Mostly when Israel was being obedient, which let's face it, was rare.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Elijah John wrote: And if Christ is not God, does it make sense that one man,.even a perfect one could atone for the sins of all of humankind by his temporary death?
Yes, All things are possible with God, we must not limit the Almighty with our human thinking. Something may seem impossible in our human terms but perfectly possible for the Almighty.

JW
If all things are possible to the Almighty, then why the need for a sacrifice at all? Why not atone for our sins without a sacrifice?

And before you start posting links to other debates, don't bother. Either actually answer my question directly, or don't bother responding.

LINE ONE: There is a difference between that which is possible and that which is beneficial.

LINE TWO: Regarding the queston of the morality of what is possible regarding the ransom, please see my earlier post on this topic
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 933#848933

This post is not a one line answer as it contains three lines.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

JW

RELATED POSTS

Is there scriptural support for the notion of a ransom sacrifice?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 119#827119

Would Jesus need to "stay dead" for the Ransom to be valid?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 280#875280
True, but shouldn't things make sense here on a debating site? ;)

-YHVH is LORD

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

[Replying to post 12 by Elijah John]

I'm not sure what things you are refering to, but the things God has done do indeed make perfect sense, here on this debating site and elsewhere.

At least to me and millions that share my view.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

bluethread
Savant

Post #15

Post by bluethread »

First, Yeshua's sacrifice was more than His death , or even "the passion". It was His entire life unto death. Why would Adonai do this? As an object lesson regarding how we should then live. Why is His death then referred to as an atonement? That is because the sacrificial system was set up as a series of object lessons, that are repeated over and over again, so we can be constantly reminded of what Adonai requires. Yeshua's death make it easier for us to make the connection of those object lesson with our daily lives. He, in that sense, embodies, or fulfills, those sacrifices. Adonai's people are called to live sacrificial lives unto death in accordance with those lessons, as embodied in the person and works of Yeshua.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #16

Post by Elijah John »

Checkpoint wrote:
It is not about whether or not Christ is God.

It is not about whether or not it will make sense to us.

It is not "human sacrifice, an abomination", but about a ransom made by a redeemer as announced by the angel of God; Matthew 1:20-21.
Well, Christ was a man, right? And his death is understood to be the sacrifice for our sin. So how is that not a form of human sacrifice?

Human sacrifice is an abomination..There is no provision for acceptable human sacrifice in Mosaic law.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #17

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Elijah John]

I'm not sure what things you are refering to, but the things God has done do indeed make perfect sense, here on this debating site and elsewhere.

At least to me and millions that share my view.

JW
Things? Let's focus on the atonement. Please demonstrate that the atonement makes sense, whether Jesus was God or whether he was a man. The OP is suggesting that either way, the atonement does not make sense.

-YHVH is LORD

bluethread
Savant

Post #18

Post by bluethread »

Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
It is not about whether or not Christ is God.

It is not about whether or not it will make sense to us.

It is not "human sacrifice, an abomination", but about a ransom made by a redeemer as announced by the angel of God; Matthew 1:20-21.
Well, Christ was a man, right? And his death is understood to be the sacrifice for our sin. So how is that not a form of human sacrifice?

Human sacrifice is an abomination..There is no provision for acceptable human sacrifice in Mosaic law.
Self sacrifice is not an abomination. The sacrifice of another is an abomination.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

Elijah John wrote:
Please demonstrate that the atonement makes sense, whether Jesus was God or whether he was a man. The OP is suggesting that either way, the atonement does not make sense.
How? You want me to take a brain scan with a picture of a light bult going of in my mind? A perfect "life for a life" makes sense to me. What demonstration of it making sense to me would you like me to produce? A blood test? A brain scan? A signed affadavit?! It makes sense to me, it doesn't make sense to you. We are both faced with the same factual information, the "making sense" part is one's perception of those facts: how do you propose I "demonstrate" my mental perception?

JW

Overcomer
Guru

Post #20

Post by Overcomer »

I recommend reading the Book of Hebrews. It explains it thoroughly. I'll post a few highlights.

Sin results in death, both spiritual and physical. We are born with sin natures as descendants of Adam. How do we obtain forgiveness for our sins? We read in Heb. 9:22 that “without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness.�

As others in this thread have rightly noted, the Israelites sacrificed animals according to the Law of Moses. But these sacrifices didn't remove sins. They only covered them temporarily. Note that these animals had to be without blemish (Ex. 12:5).

But no animal could atone for the sins of humanity. Only a human could do that. But the human who atoned for the sins of humankind had to be unblemished, that is, free of sin. Since no human being is free of sin and no human being can make himself free of sin, that left humankind in a pickle.

But Jesus was the one man who was free of sin. He was free of sin because he was not only fully human, he was fully God at the same time (1 Peter 1:19 refers to him as the unblemished lamb). Therefore, he is the one and only being who could possibly atone for our sins and his atonement meant there was no more need of animal sacrifices any more.

As stated in Heb. 10:10, "we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."

When we accept Christ's gift of atonement/forgiveness, we are given right-standing with God the Father. And that's why it is Christ and Christ alone who can do that for us. As Jesus himself said, no one comes to God except through him (John 14:6).