How do we show Yahweh is true or false?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

How do we show Yahweh is true or false?

Post #1

Post by marco »

We waste a lot of time patiently finding statements in the Bible that give Yahweh's view on this or that. I am firmly convinced that Yahweh is a fabrication. Is he a good fabrication? Obviously many people accept him and his exploits, so to some extent he is well constructed.

But if I were visited by some Christian people keen to enlighten me, what might I say that would turn them from their staunch belief and at least let them consider they might be wrong?

What is the best way to illustrate that Yahweh is a fiction?

Or, if one supposes he's real, how can one demonstrate his reality?

(I am dealing exclusively with Yahweh, not his relatives.)

Willum
Savant

Re: How do we show Yahweh is true or false?

Post #11

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 10 by marco]

You know I believe that it was old Tiberius Caesar who fomented Christianity, or at least it was viciously dedicated to him:
They were both demi-gods, both living around the same time, Isaiah describes Tiberius uncannily, and the gifts of the Magi were Tiberius' favorite things.

So, I venture a little further to observe, it would be just like Tiberius to re-write the poor Hebrew scriptures so that, as a joke that would not be lost in translation: Tiberius had God show Moses, and by proxy, Judaism, his rear-end for worship...

Just saying, it would be like him.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by ttruscott »

The only infallible method I know is when / if YHWH makes HIS existence known to you undeniably... There would seem to be no equivalent for the proof of HIS non-existence.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #13

Post by Inigo Montoya »

[Replying to post 12 by ttruscott]

Has YHWH made his existence undeniably known to you personally?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #14

Post by Elijah John »

marco wrote: We waste a lot of time patiently finding statements in the Bible that give Yahweh's view on this or that. I am firmly convinced that Yahweh is a fabrication. Is he a good fabrication? Obviously many people accept him and his exploits, so to some extent he is well constructed.

But if I were visited by some Christian people keen to enlighten me, what might I say that would turn them from their staunch belief and at least let them consider they might be wrong?

Don't you think it is possible that there is a Divine reality that underlies the layers of myth and legend with which the authors of the Bible have disguised Him?

Remember, His name means "I AM that I AM". Sounds like the Ground of Being to me.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: However, is the default position that Yahweh is real? Do we simply accept this, and every account of his words and deeds, with not a single analytical thought?
I don’t see any reason why one should not have analytical thoughts. I only hope people are honest and remain in truth, then there will be no problems.
marco wrote:… When he claims that a rainbow is the sign of his contract, you realise that primitive folk had no idea what made a rainbow - and one suspects that neither did Yahweh….
The conditions on earth were different before the flood. It is possible that there were no rainbows before the flood. And even if God set it, it doesn’t mean it wouldn’t work by natural laws.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

Depends on the Christian. For me, a strong case would consist in showing that the concept of YHWH would naturally arise from the cultural milieu in which it did arise: a comparison of religions in Egypt or Palestine.
I do not think anything would convince someone on this forum of YHWH's existence; for I do not think any here have a criteria for belief other than the murky criterion of moral behavior.
Good, since as far as I know YHWH has no relatives.

Willum
Savant

Post #17

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 14 by Elijah John]

Interesting, like a rhino being a unicorn, or a monitor lizard being a dragon?

I'd propose that a man would be the reality that underlies the layers of myth and legend of which God is constructed.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Mithrae »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

Depends on the Christian. For me, a strong case would consist in showing that the concept of YHWH would naturally arise from the cultural milieu in which it did arise: a comparison of religions in Egypt or Palestine.
The struggle seems to be finding things which can plausibly be viewed as 'supernatural,' rather than the opposite. Have you ever wondered why, after the seemingly legendary figures of David and Solomon, not a single king of Judah "removed the high places" for over two centuries; not even supposedly righteous rulers like Asa and Jehoshaphat? (In fact even Solomon was said to have had them; only the wondrous David had a 'pure' reign!) The most plausible conclusion seems to be that centralized worship was an innovation of Hezekiah after the influx of refugees from the northern kingdom which Assyria conquered during his reign. The book of the law which was 'found' during Josiah's rule is another curious feature. Josiah was the only other king to "remove the high places," and this was not long before Jeremiah warned against the "lying pen of the scribes." It's unclear whether Jeremiah's condemnation was against Josiah's reforms or some other version of the law of 'Moses.'

It looks like a religion which was evolved organically, not imposed supernaturally.
Last edited by Mithrae on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #19

Post by Kenisaw »

Mithrae wrote:
liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

The struggle seems to be finding things which can plausibly be viewed as 'supernatural,' rather than the opposite. Have you ever wondered why, after the seemingly legendary figures of David and Solomon, not a single king of Judah "removed the high places" for over two centuries; not even supposedly righteous rulers like Asa and Jehoshaphat? (In fact even Solomon was said to have had them; only the wondrous David had a 'pure' reign!) The most plausible conclusion seems to be that centralized worship was an innovation of Hezekiah after the influx of refugees from the northern kingdom which Assyria conquered during his reign. It looks like a religion which was evolved organically, not imposed supernaturally.
I think that is historically accurate, along with the migration of Yahweh from the southern trading and nomadic peoples of the Edom region.