Name above all Names

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Name above all Names

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

In Phil 2 Paul ascribes to Jesus "the name that is above all names".

Some scholars see this as the tetragrammaton; YHWH.

Many object.

For those that object, what name is above the name YHWH?

(this is directed to those who hold the Bible as authoritative, at least to some degree)

marco
Savant

Post #111

Post by marco »

2timothy316 wrote:
marco wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
marco wrote:

No, I think that heaven gives the apostles power and what they do or undo, will be approved in heaven. I cannot see that your diversion from this carries a better meaning.
Then that means you are calling ("Christ is head of the congregation." Ephesians 5:23) is a lie and all the Greek Interpreters that translate it correctly liars as well. So be it.

If I thought that, I would say that.
I see no other way to call it. You didn't have to say it...actually I am not really sure you know what you're saying. Your 'thoughts' are contradictory. In the Scripture you quoted, how will they do greater things? Who do they ask for help? Oh wait, you left that part out.
I am perfectly clear about what I am arguing and I do not have a problem of distinguising between an interprretation of Scripture and telling lies. We are moving into obscurity when there's no need to.
Christ is head of his Church, but it is not unreasonable for Christ to have delegated his authority to others.
2timothy316 wrote:
Is this a feeling? What is the basis of this assertion?
We are discussing the meaning of texts not whether they make us weep or smile. Nobody is saying that the apostles became God, or Jesus; the power Jesus had was delegaated to them and the disputed statement: "Whatever ye shall loose on earth shall be looseed also in heaven" for many is an indication that the apostles were given Christ's power. And of course this power is transmitted through the continuing presence of Christ. You ask where this information might come from: Take Matthew 28: 20

"Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."

To summarise, lest we again lose the thread:

The followers of Christ will bind and loose, having been delegated this power. Christ said: All power comes from the Father, so no one is arguing against that source. The use of the future respects the future perfect tense.

Christ promised his eternal assistance, so followers have him to assist in their decisions, which will be ratified in heaven.

There is no contradiction, no lying, just plain acceptance of statements as they are written. You, however, introduce a new theology, apparently replacing what Jesus taught.

I hope this helps.

Monta
Guru

Post #112

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 101 by 2timothy316]

" The Holman Christian Standard Bible translates it correctly. "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth is already bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth is already loosed in heaven."

On what basis can you say that this Holman whoever he is, translates it correctly?

Why isn't kjv a better translation?