"The Lost"

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

"The Lost"

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Evangelicals very often refer to those who don't agree with them, and who don't share their theology as "The Lost".

For debate, who are they to say? Did God appoint them to speak for Him? Do they know a person's heart and standing before God? If so, where is the evidence?

Also, are you more likely or less to win a person to your point of view by calling them "Lost"?

And finally, hadn't they better make darn sure they have their own theology perfect before they judge others as "Lost"?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

TripleZ
Banned
Banned

Re: "The Lost"

Post #2

Post by TripleZ »

Elijah John wrote: Evangelicals very often refer to those who don't agree with them, and who don't share their theology as "The Lost".

For debate, who are they to say? Did God appoint them to speak for Him? Do they know a person's heart and standing before God? If so, where is the evidence?

Also, are you more likely or less to win a person to your point of view by calling them "Lost"?

And finally, hadn't they better make darn sure they have their own theology perfect before they judge others as "Lost"?
,, do they really ? I have never heard this form them, not that I know ALL of them...But are we not ALL lost to God from birth or we might say that, all who are NOT SAVED are lost, right ?
Luk 15:5 When he does find it, he joyfully hoists it onto his shoulders;
Luk 15:6 and when he gets home, he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Come, celebrate with me, because I have found my lost sheep!'
Luk 15:7 I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who turns to God from his sins than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need to repent.

Eph 2:1 You used to be dead because of your sins and acts of disobedience.
Eph 2:2 You walked in the ways of the `olam hazeh and obeyed the Ruler of the Powers of the Air, who is still at work among the disobedient.
Eph 2:3 Indeed, we all once lived this way — we followed the passions of our old nature and obeyed the wishes of our old nature and our own thoughts. In our natural condition we were headed for God's wrath, just like everyone else.

you disagree then ?

TripleZ
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by TripleZ »

Elijah John wrote: Evangelicals very often refer to those who don't agree with them, and who don't share their theology as "The Lost".

maybe they mean to ay that we are all born lost to God, until susch time as we are saved by confessing Yeshua ( Gods only flesh and blood Son ) as Lord and as Messiah..not so much as agree with them per se ? Cult people do what you suggest, how ever cult people and cults actually try their best to keep mankind unsaved.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 3 by TripleZ]

No, Evangelicals have a name for people who don't interpret the Bible as they do, or who find God in other ways. They call them the "Lost". What gives them that right to speak for God?

Also, who is anyone to say what is, and is not a "cult". Remember, Christianity too, was once considered a "cult".

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

TripleZ wrote:

,, do they really ? I have never heard this form them, not that I know ALL of them...
Really? Do you ever watch TBN, or visit the CARM website? And I heard an ad from Franklin Graham regarding some event, and he said "and be sure to invite your lost family and friends too" or words to that effect. But he did use the word "lost". Who do you suppose he was referring to?

-YHVH is LORD

showme
Sage

Post #6

Post by showme »

I am kind of thinking that Yeshua sent the twelve disciples to go to "the lost sheep of the house of Israel". (Mt 10:6) Apparently, as Israel was to be as the sands of the sea, there are apparently a lot of "lost sheep". This is not to say that the "Evangelicals" aren't lost as well.

showme
Sage

Post #7

Post by showme »

Elijah John wrote:
TripleZ wrote:

,, do they really ? I have never heard this form them, not that I know ALL of them...
Really? Do you ever watch TBN, or visit the CARM website? And I heard an ad from Franklin Graham regarding some event, and he said "and be sure to invite your lost family and friends too" or words to that effect. But he did use the word "lost". Who do you suppose he was referring to?
Anyone listening to Franklin Graham could be considered lost. That might include their family as well.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

showme wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
TripleZ wrote:

Anyone listening to Franklin Graham could be considered lost. That might include their family as well.
Really? Now why is that? Who (which pastor or preacher) should we be listening to? (besides Jesus, of course)

-YHVH is LORD

Overcomer
Guru

lost and found

Post #9

Post by Overcomer »

It's Jesus himself who uses the term to describe people who are separated from God.

'Then Jesus told them this parable: “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.' (Luke 15: 1-7)

He also told a parable about a lost coin (Luke 15:8-10) and one about a lost son (Luke 15:11-31).

Therefore, Christians only use the word "lost" because Jesus himself used it. The good news is, of course, that, thanks to Jesus, nobody has to remain that way.

And the use of the word speaks to the fact that we have a relational God. He created us to be in a relationship with him, but that relationship was broken. It's like the parent who loses a child to cancer or to drugs. God the Father has lost his children to sin. So I don't see the word as being necessarily pejorative. It simply refers to a relationship that is no more.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that we are all born lost, alienated from God until we were found (ie we found our way through Jesus to becoming dedicated servants of Jehovah). It might not please you, but that is part of our belief system. It's not judging individuals for their overall worth, it's not deciding on the eternal destiny of anyone, but it is how we feel about where we are and who we belong to. Everyone has the RIGHT to believe they are in the home God made us for, no matter what the implications are for those outside of it.

In the words of the old negro spiritual
Amazing Grace, How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now am found
T'was blind but now I see

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear
And Grace, my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed

Through many dangers, toils and snares
We have already come.
T'was grace that brought us safe thus far
And grace will lead us home,
And grace will lead us home
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8