Why would anyone in their right mind reject God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Why would anyone in their right mind reject God?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

Let's say for arguments sake that the god of the bible is loving, merciful and wonderful. He is not a monster who wants to make people suffer. He is actually a loving god who wants us all to be saved. Everything he has done that seems evil has been done for righteous reasons, even if we can't see what they are. He truly loves us and there will be no suffering for all eternity.

Why would any one in their right mind reject this god?

Bear these factors in mind too:

Rejecting the god of the bible would mean:
-You are no longer covered by his grace.
-You are no longer eligible for eternal life in paradise. You will be mortal!
-There would be no godly plan for your life. No godly purpose
- You will no longer have supernatural backing to aid you.
-You will no longer have the peace of mind that there is a god protecting you and meeting all your needs
-You may no longer have the peace of mind that there is a god in control of this world's destiny
-You will no longer have the belief that there is a god who you can cast all your cares upon.
- Any prayers you may pray will be worthless.
- You may find yourself shunned by Christian family and friends. (who once provided a community for you to be part of)
- You may be persecuted for being an atheist.

What could possibly make you ever want to give up all the benefits that come with believing in God?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

liamconnor
Prodigy

Re: Why would anyone in their right mind reject God?

Post #2

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced]

Is the question assuming there is a God of your description? For obviously some will reject him because they don't believe he exists.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #3

Post by imhereforyou »

Excluding mental illness, I don't see why anyone would want to ignore such a wonderful, perfect being. But that's not reality or common sense as far as I can see it.
But I've never been one that 'goes along with the crowd'

Willum
Savant

Post #4

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced]

The quality of people he won't let into heaven.
and the quality of people he will.

Let's take the iconic Hitler, as we have discovered, despite propaganda, was a Christian, no doubt was truly repentant as the allies closed in on him.

So we may expect Hitler to be in Heaven, with Eva Braun.

Now let's take the iconic Gandhi, un-penitent, and so, doing the infinite metre magma-backstroke.

I don't know about you, but I would much rather burn with Gandhi, than celebrate with Hitler.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

OnceConvinced wrote:

What could possibly make you ever want to give up all the benefits that come with believing in God?
Given that we KNOW God is merciful, generous and loving as well as omniscient and omnipotent then it would be irrational to reject him.

When people reject Yahweh they are rejecting the idea that he is omnipotent, loving and merciful simply because his portrayal has none of these qualities. So in fact they are rationally rejecting evil and brutality, of which decision a loving, merciful God would approve. So God would not say - if he turns out to be true - "You have rejected me." Instead he would know people have rejected his parody. So ironically, those who reject Jehovah are closer to God than those who accept his depiction.

wiploc
Guru

Post #6

Post by wiploc »

OnceConvinced wrote: Let's say for arguments sake ...

Why would any one in their right mind reject this god?
And now let's do it the other way and, for argument's sake, assume that you get eternal happiness for being an atheist and eternal torment for being Christian.

Why would anyone in their right mind believe in god?

Thus we see that Pascal's wager is exactly as strong as its opposite. No stronger.

Obviously, an argument no stronger than its opposite is worthless. It weighs zero in the scales of persuasion.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 6 by wiploc]
And now let's do it the other way and, for argument's sake, assume that you get eternal happiness for being an atheist and eternal torment for being Christian.

Thus we see that Pascal's wager is exactly as strong as its opposite. No stronger.

The question is theoretical to the point of unmanageable. There are certain presuppositions that go along with atheism, just as there are presuppositions that go along with being a gorilla. Gorillas do not have tails; atheists do not survive death.

An argument for argument's sake needs to still follow definitions.

marco
Savant

Post #8

Post by marco »

wiploc wrote:

When Muhammad was composing his text, written by God, he may have been aware of this legal loophole. In Islam unbelievers can expect eternal torture, and dirty water, when their worthless hides hit heaven or Hades.

In my Christian meanderings I have never heard it whispered that God will look favourably on atheistic adventurers. A reasonable God would -but his biographical details would suggest he's far from reasonable.

wiploc
Guru

Post #9

Post by wiploc »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 6 by wiploc]

The question is theoretical to the point of unmanageable.
I just made up facts opposite to those you made up. If my question is awkward, so is yours.

There are certain presuppositions that go along with atheism, just as there are presuppositions that go along with being a gorilla. Gorillas do not have tails; atheists do not survive death.
If you can make up presuppositions, I have the same right.

And all that atheism entails is the lack of belief in gods. Many atheists believe in life after death.

FarWanderer
Guru

Post #10

Post by FarWanderer »

OnceConvinced wrote:What could possibly make you ever want to give up all the benefits that come with believing in God?
Freedom. From moral responsibility.