Where was god?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

Where was god?

Post #1

Post by Donray »

17 children killed and where was God? Nowhere. Parys did nothing.

It is like Christians say, God does nothing to interfere. Prays for anything are never answered.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Re: Where was god?

Post #2

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by Donray]

You don't believe in free will? Or only free will when it can't produce pain? Should the bullets from every gun on every street in every town suddenly become soft at every moment? If I slip on my floor to a collapse that would naturally cause death, should the floor suddenly become like rubber, and the same for every person on every street in every town in every country?

Lies and slander and devious planning also create pain. In the case of the shooters at Columbine: when they planned their scheme, should God have supernaturally locked up their tongues so they couldn't speak? Should he do that for every person on every street in every country at every second?

Perhaps we should go back further? Evil planning begins in the brain--thought patterns tied to cerebral activity. Should God, whenever an evil thought (slander, conspiracy, lie etc.) is formed, confuse the grey matter in our heads so that we cannot form the thought?

It seems your problem is the beginnings (and good for you!) of the much deeper philosophical difficulty of evil in general.

Rather than complain about instances of evil, ask yourself, what is it exactly (and be as precise as you can be) what God should have done. If he intervened in Florida, why could he not intervene when my uncle missed a step on a ladder and broke his arm?

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

He was in the pleas of the citizenry, who saw something and said something, for the government, that forbids them from defending themselves, to act on the information that citizenry had provided to it. Oops, I guess the benevolent government made a mistake, or two, or three, or four. Oh well, let's just pass more laws and take away more rights from that citizenry. That way we can make sure "it never happens again". :no: :roll:

Donray
Guru

Post #4

Post by Donray »

[Replying to liamconnor]

You are agreeing I guess that God does not care. He does not care about suffering or evil.

Maybe God is dead. He died when he created the universe from himself in a Big Bang.

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

Donray wrote: 17 children killed and where was God? Nowhere. Parys did nothing.

It is like Christians say, God does nothing to interfere. Prays for anything are never answered.

I think we have been fed on the notion that God is all-loving, all-caring, all-just, all-merciful and without evidence of this, we have allowed it to pass. An atrocity happens and we wonder about all those nice adjectives. If he exists, he's not lovely. Prayers as you say are fruitless; they address infinite goodness and we don't have that.

If he was concerned for rectitude, as he is reported to be in the OT, then when people kill in his name he would at the least put them straight. He allows everything to happen in accordance with the laws of chance and it is sensible to suppose that our god is Chance and not some biblical titan.

In the quoted situation, man not God was at fault, and not just the boy who killed. It seems fantastic that a kid was allowed to possess a rifle, more so if he had violent tendencies.

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

bluethread wrote: He was in the pleas of the citizenry, who saw something and said something, for the government, that forbids them from defending themselves, to act on the information that citizenry had provided to it. Oops, I guess the benevolent government made a mistake, or two, or three, or four. Oh well, let's just pass more laws and take away more rights from that citizenry. That way we can make sure "it never happens again". :no: :roll:
The removal of firearms from the population at large would help. Most folk in Britain have never held a gun, nor would want to. It is still a culture shock to see some policemen carry guns, a situation that has come about for religious reasons: some individuals want to emphasise God's greatness by killing their neigbours.

Action was taken after the Dunblane massacre. But no safeguard is perfect.

Monta
Guru

Post #7

Post by Monta »

Donray wrote: [Replying to liamconnor]

You are agreeing I guess that God does not care. He does not care about suffering or evil.

Maybe God is dead. He died when he created the universe from himself in a Big Bang.
If that is what you think, why do you bother?

I would just walk away from religion and live a happy life; that would be
wise thing to do right?

marco
Savant

Post #8

Post by marco »

Monta wrote:
I would just walk away from religion and live a happy life; that would be
wise thing to do right?
That is a very good suggestion. Any time I have to enter a church and hear, for example, the outpourings of Paul my agnosticism verges closer to the real thing. The only commendable thing about God's houses are the beautiful sculptures and the paintings in Italian churches. God cannot be all bad if he inspired these. Actually some of the old Gregorian chants and the sung Latin masses are lovely too.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by Donray]

Where was god? Nowhere. It'd have to exist for it to be somewhere.

Claire Evans
Guru

Post #10

Post by Claire Evans »

Donray wrote: 17 children killed and where was God? Nowhere. Parys did nothing.

Why do you assume God wasn't there? Since the world gives power to Satan, how can God do anything about it?