What did Paul mean?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

What did Paul mean?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped
For debate:

What did Paul mean when he said Christ was "in the form of God"?

-Aren't we all made in the image of God?
-Did Paul believe that Christ was God? Or that Christ was God in disguise?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #41

Post by dio9 »

Paul's meaning is very close maybe the same as the Upanishads Atman and Brahman relationship ,where his soul is (homouslous) of the same stuff as Father, not the Father , he is the person of the son.
The difference between Brahmanism and Christianity is one of quantity not quality. Brahmanism holds the very substance of God is in everyone to be uncovered.
Quantitatively greater than the Christian distinction where this quality is exclusively only in Jesus.

What about the rest of us?

bluethread
Savant

Post #42

Post by bluethread »

onewithhim wrote:
I don't see how "The LORD is one" has any bearing on the nature of Christ, or vice versa. There is really no problem with seeing Christ exactly as he is presented in the Scriptures. (I Corinth.11:3)

I do agree that life is about service and not privilege, and that we should view it the same way.
I'm not sure, "I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God." is a slam dunk either. Whether Yeshua is a seperate being, or a different form of the same being, is not directly addressed there. The point of the passage is the establishment of an auhtority structure, not a differentiation beween Yeshua and Elohiem. I figure I will know that when I get there. For now, I just acknowledge the authority structure.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #43

Post by onewithhim »

bluethread wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
I don't see how "The LORD is one" has any bearing on the nature of Christ, or vice versa. There is really no problem with seeing Christ exactly as he is presented in the Scriptures. (I Corinth.11:3)

I do agree that life is about service and not privilege, and that we should view it the same way.
I'm not sure, "I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God." is a slam dunk either. Whether Yeshua is a seperate being, or a different form of the same being, is not directly addressed there. The point of the passage is the establishment of an auhtority structure, not a differentiation beween Yeshua and Elohiem. I figure I will know that when I get there. For now, I just acknowledge the authority structure.
Very good. Do you agree that if one person has authority over another that they are not EQUAL in authority?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: What did Paul mean?

Post #44

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Yes a THING can be made up of three components, but people are not made up of three other people.
If I may suggest...
Sure but GOD is not one person but is the UNITY, `echad, of three persons even if it is acceptable and proper to speak of HIM in the singular to emphasise that unity which
is not logically impossible so therefore it is open to this interpretation...

`echad is used to talk about the unity of two people during sex, Gen 2:24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh....a unity of flesh that cannot be seen so it remains mysterious. The Trinity is spoken of in this same way in the Shemah, as an unseeable but real Unity which we find out later is a unity of 3.

I tend to see this Unity of GOD being expressed by humans in the unity of flesh during sex as the reason why sex should be restricted to one marriage partner in accord with its type.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #45

Post by ttruscott »

Tart wrote:People can be made up by a body, a mind, and a soul... Or made up as blood muscles, and bone... Or limbs, head, and torso
This attack of the 'GOD in three persons' doctrine is considered a heresy by most Christians under the name of Sabellianism or modalism.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #46

Post by 2timothy316 »

Tart wrote:
If you guys have back stepped on failed prophecies, what make you think you shouldnt backstep on this?
Because JWs did backstep on the trinity. Because the trinity was created in the 2nd and 3rd centuries. John, Matthew, etc. none of them teached the trinity. So JWs did backstep on the false teaching of the trinity and other failed teachings. Such as Christmas, Halloween, Easter...and people talk about us backstepping. Why aren't most religions backstepping on teaching of these false pagan holidays BTW?

Teaching there is one God and only one God was first. So if 'what is older' is what you go by to determine what is true than read the Bible, it will tell you there is only one Almighty God, Jehovah.

“Jehovah Our God Is One Jehovah�—Deuteronomy 6:4 (Written 1600+ years before the trinity was even thought of.)

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #47

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
Elijah John wrote: If Jesus were in the "form of God", wouldn't that have been obvious to all? Even the Pharisees and Saducees, even the Romans who crucified him?

Seems Jesus, even if he were God, was in the form of a completely human man.

If Jesus was in the "form of God" seems he even had his disciples fooled. At least until his resurrection. Then, was Jesus simply glorified, or did he simply shed his human disguise, and reveal his true form?
After his resurrection, Jesus sets the record straight.

John 20:17

Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"
Nothing could be clearer.

Paul agrees with him.
Ephesians 1:17

and asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in your knowledge of Him.
Excellent.

Clear. Simple. I have to wonder why people, in the face of such clear unadulterated statements, choose to insist on the validity of verses that (there is scholarly evidence that they) have been tampered with.
Tampered with? Maybe in some cases.

But to me, it seems more likely they misread or misinterpret less clear verses and make them what decides the issue.

Monta
Guru

Post #48

Post by Monta »

ttruscott wrote:
Tart wrote:People can be made up by a body, a mind, and a soul... Or made up as blood muscles, and bone... Or limbs, head, and torso
This attack of the 'GOD in three persons' doctrine is considered a heresy by most Christians under the name of Sabellianism or modalism.
What Tart said is spot-on - body mind and soul.
And we are not three persons are we.

In God we have three attributes:
Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #49

Post by Checkpoint »

Monta wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
What Tart said is spot-on - body mind and soul.
And we are not three persons are we.

In God we have three attributes:
Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.
I beg to differ.

Chalk and cheese.

God is one person, not two or three.

God IS Spirit;the Spirit is not an attribute.

The Son is a separate person, and is not an attribute of God.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #50

Post by Checkpoint »

ttruscott wrote:
So?

As they do your PCE theology.

It's not about what the majority consider to be heresy, but what Jesus tells us is truth.
John 17:3

Now this is eternal life: that they know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.