How to make sense of Time Travel?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

How to make sense of Time Travel?

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Time travelling forward makes perfect sense to me. One disappears for a certain amount of time, then reappears in the future.

Time travelling backwards makes no sense if it causes drastic changes to the future that would affect the time traveler's own existence or change events that would lead him to time travel to begin with. Are there any ways to reconcile this?

I guess the first thing to ask is is time travel possible (at least from a mathematical/physics based standpoint)?

If this has to be related to Religion in some way, then people can chime in on whether God can time travel or not and whether he could change the events of the past if He wanted to.

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: How to make sense of Time Travel?

Post #31

Post by benchwarmer »

Tcg wrote:
jgh7 wrote:
Time travelling forward makes perfect sense to me. One disappears for a certain amount of time, then reappears in the future.
It doesn't to me. Given that what we refer to as "the future" doesn't exist, at least not yet, it is an impossibility to travel there.
Travelling forward in time RELATIVE TO OTHERS is possible, but you don't 'disappear'. Neither do you travel to YOUR future. You travel and essentially arrive in other's futures.

Example:

You board a rocket ship at 10:00am, Jan 1, 2018 and proceed to orbit the Earth at an extremely high velocity for 5 years. Your friend remains on Earth and tracks your ship the entire time. On Jan 1, 2023 you land back on Earth at 10:00am your time. Your friend is standing there at 10:02am his time. Congratulations, you have aged 2 minutes less than your friend, welcome to his future :)

To achieve any noticeable effects, you would have to be travelling at a speed approaching light speed (which of course is VERY difficult if not impossible) or travelling at high velocity compared to others for a very long time.

Tcg
Savant

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

benchwarmer wrote:
Tcg wrote:
jgh7 wrote:
It doesn't to me. Given that what we refer to as "the future" doesn't exist, at least not yet, it is an impossibility to travel there.
Travelling forward in time RELATIVE TO OTHERS is possible, but you don't 'disappear'. Neither do you travel to YOUR future. You travel and essentially arrive in other's futures.

Example:

You board a rocket ship at 10:00am, Jan 1, 2018 and proceed to orbit the Earth at an extremely high velocity for 5 years. Your friend remains on Earth and tracks your ship the entire time. On Jan 1, 2023 you land back on Earth at 10:00am your time. Your friend is standing there at 10:02am his time. Congratulations, you have aged 2 minutes less than your friend, welcome to his future :)

To achieve any noticeable effects, you would have to be travelling at a speed approaching light speed (which of course is VERY difficult if not impossible) or travelling at high velocity compared to others for a very long time.
I think I get what you are saying although it twists my brain up a little.

I'm referring to traveling to the "far future", if that term even makes sense. The future isn't determined yet and will be shaped by the choices of billions of people and even other beings to some degree. I don't see how it would be possible to travel to a place whose very nature has yet to be determined.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #33

Post by myth-one.com »

benchwarmer wrote:
Tcg wrote:
jgh7 wrote:

Example:

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
Leaving the Earth's gravity and moving out into interstellar space at a rate of 90% of the speed of light or so would cause time to speed up for you, relative to everyone on earth.