Stephen Hawking has passed...

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

DeMotts
Scholar

Stephen Hawking has passed...

Post #1

Post by DeMotts »

Just broke on the news, Professor Stephen Hawking has passed away. He was an intellectual giant, and seemed almost immortal in a sense - I never really thought much about him dying despite having a famously incurable terminal illness. I feel the human race has today lost one of the titans of science. :(

Anyone care to share their opinions on Hawking? I'd be interested to hear what some of the theists have to say about the man. Ever since I read A Brief History of Time I've had a much greater interest in physics and cosmology. His approach to writing the book made it accessible for non-academics like myself to have an appreciation of the mysteries of the universe.

Thoughts?

Tcg
Savant

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

William wrote:
If you do really think that folk have it incorrect regarding Mr. Hawkings attitudes about GOD...
Once again, you are not addressing your claim to know what concepts of god Mr. Hawking considered. It is up to you to support your claim. What have you got?

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

[Replying to post 21 by Tcg]

I made no such claim about the individual Mr. Hawking. I specifically wrote about scientists in general who have similar views as he did, based on the ongoing interaction in this thread, especially post#13.

If you have no problem with that post, then neither should you have any problem with mine.

As I said, if you believe we are incorrect as to why scientists like Mr. Hawkings have specific reasons for not entertaining the notion of GOD which are NOT as we have been stating, feel free to educate us all about that. I am sincerely interested in viewing that evidence, and I myself would withdraw the statement I made about scientist like Mr. Hawkings should I be shown the error of my understanding on this.

Otherwise, I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
Last edited by William on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

William wrote:
I made no such claim about the individual Mr. [sic] Hawkings.
Yes, you did. Refer to post 16 if you have forgotten the claim you made. As with all your other replies, this doesn't support your claim.

Monta
Guru

Post #24

Post by Monta »

[[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 060#912060]

Nice article about his funeral.
Had he been totally against God/religion don't think his family would have included
reading from the Bible of the use of a Church.

"At the funeral, Redmayne gave a biblical reading at the service to around 500 guests. While astronomer Royal Martin Rees also spoke, among others, at the funeral at the University Church of St Mary the Great in Cambridge."

https://www.rt.com/uk/423176-stephen-ha ... -homeless/

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #25

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 24 by Monta]

Funerals are for the living, you bet I'd want a full religious funeral when it's my turn, assuming I go before my spouse. It doesn't mean I am any less an atheist.

Tcg
Savant

Post #26

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 24 by Monta]

What this article actually tells is about the atheist Stephen Hawking is that his final wishes included the feeding of 50 homeless people on the day of his funeral. Odd that you didn't bother to mention that given that is the main thrust of the article.

What does the fact that the bible was read at his funeral tell us? It tells us that the bible was read at his funeral. What does that tell us about the atheist Stephen Hawking? Absolutely nothing.

William
Savant

Post #27

Post by William »

[Replying to post 25 by Bust Nak]

Have no fear! No one is saying Stephen wasn't an atheist! :)

William
Savant

Post #28

Post by William »

[Replying to post 26 by Tcg]
What this article actually tells is about the atheist Stephen Hawking is that his final wishes included the feeding of 50 homeless people on the day of his funeral.
What this also tells us is that it obviously doesn't matter in the end, what one calls oneself or for that natter what others call you. Being an 'atheist' is besides the point in regards to his final wishes. He did not do this because of 'atheism'.
The article doesn't even bother to mention Stephen was an 'atheist' but it does mention he was a 'legendary professor' and that people who usually live on the street dined on luxury chocolates at the Wesley Methodist Church, because of his monetary gift to them.
What does the fact that the bible was read at his funeral tell us? It tells us that the bible was read at his funeral.
Well there's some irony...
What does that tell us about the atheist Stephen Hawking? Absolutely nothing.
It tells us that it didn't matter to the living there celebrating his life, that Steven Hawking was an 'atheist'. It indicates that maybe they knew that it didn't matter to him either, because if it did, then they would have avoided doing so out of respect for his personal convictions.

Tcg
Savant

Post #29

Post by Tcg »

William wrote:
He did not do this because of 'atheism'.
Once again you are claiming to have knowledge about Steven Hawking that you don't have.

The article doesn't even bother to mention Stephen was an 'atheist'...
Which doesn't change the fact that he was an atheist.

It tells us that it didn't matter to the living there celebrating his life, that Steven Hawking was an 'atheist'. It indicates that maybe they knew that it didn't matter to him either, because if it did, then they would have avoided doing so out of respect for his personal convictions.
Pure conjecture once again.

William
Savant

Post #30

Post by William »

[Replying to post 29 by Tcg]
Being an 'atheist' is besides the point in regards to his final wishes. He did not do this because of 'atheism'.
Once again you are claiming to have knowledge about Steven Hawking that you don't have.
Once again you have got it wrong.

I am claiming knowledge about atheism, not Stephen. Unfortunately for you, in quoting me out of context - yet again - and then commenting on that, your attempt at a strawman comes off half stuffed.

Now I shall attempt to enlighten you further.

'Atheism' isn't about doing good deeds. It is about lacking belief in the existence of GODs. That is all atheism is about.
The article doesn't even bother to mention Stephen was an 'atheist' but it does mention he was a 'legendary professor' and that people who usually live on the street dined on luxury chocolates at the Wesley Methodist Church, because of his monetary gift to them.
Which doesn't change the fact that he was an atheist.
Which doesn't change the fact that him being an atheist has nothing to do with the article, or whether the people involved in the events even cared if he was or wasn't an atheist.
You making pains to tell people he was an atheist, is besides the point. In fact it is irrelevant.
Pure conjecture once again.
Pure as the driven snow. :) One can of course take the facts as they are presented in the story and with those facts make aligned conjecture which fits the facts.

Do you have anything to say which points out my pure conjecture is incorrect? If so, please do share with the group.

In future I would appreciate that you read what I write carefully, quote me in context and perhaps that way you can avoid inaccurate comments aimed at my person.

That would be nice.

Thanks.

:)