Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

Bible Reading For The Mildly Curious

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

[font=Verdana]-
I frequently encounter people online who are interested in reading some of the Bible but don't know where to begin.

Well; I suggest the little books of Ruth and Esther. They're brief and they're entertaining. And afterwards; maybe just enough chapters of Matthew and Luke to get a first-hand look at the Christmas story. For some people: that's more than enough Bible to satisfy their curiosity.

Q: Where can I get a Bible?

A: Bibles can be purchased at any well-stocked book store like Barnes & Noble.

Christian book stores are another source and can usually be found listed in the Yellow Pages along with regular types of book stores.

If you're okay with used books, you might prefer shopping for a Bible in a second hand store like Good Will and Salvation Army.

Amazon dot com is a really good source for Bibles.

/
[/font]

Overcomer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

Interesting choices for a first read WebersHome.

I usually tell people to begin with the gospels and then Acts and then all the letters. Then I tell them to go back to the beginning and start at Genesis and read through the Old Testament. Then I tell them to read Revelation at the very last.

I actually discourage people from starting with Genesis as people will inevitably get bogged down in Leviticus and Numbers and probably not go any further. I suggest they start with the gospels because I believe the Old Testament can only be understood from the foot of the cross.

I leave Revelation until the end because it can be so intimidating for someone who isn't familiar with what has gone before. It points us to the future and how God will end this particular story and begin a new one with the new heavens and the new earth.

As for versions of the Bible, I usually recommend the New International Version as it's a good translation which is easy to read. I also like the NET Bible. We are blessed to have many fine translations from which to choose.

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

I would tend to ask them why they wish to read the Scriptures. I find "mild curiosity" to be a rather dangerous thing. That usually means that they are looking for entertainment, to reinforce their existing world view, or answer a specific question. These are not good approaches when looking at ancient literature, or any literature for that matter. In these united States there is some doubt whether a high school graduate knows how to properly pronounce groups of letters arranged in sequence, let along read with understanding. Therefore, I generally recommend that they join us for Torah Study on Shabbat. That way they can get historical and cultural context to what they are reading.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

When I was a Christian I would have had trouble recommending books to start with. I would have recommended many of the old testament books due to the stories in them. Then again I would have said that the gospels were the most important as far as learning about Jesus is concerned. However I also found Paul's works very inspiring as well.

I guess it would be, who are you recommending the reading to?

For kids it would be the old testament tales, with stories such as Noah's Ark and Jonah etc.
For new Christians it would be the gospels.
For those who have been a Christian a few years now, it would be Paul's works.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Bible Reading For The Mildly Curious

Post #5

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by WebersHome]

If someone just wants 'a taste' purely out of curiosity (i.e. no intention to jump into any particular religion based on it), then I would probably start with one of the gospels. That will give them an idea of what this Jesus character is all about that the Christians are always talking about.

If someone is interested in actually 'joining a religion', then I would seriously suggest they read through the entire thing starting at page 1 of Genesis. I would warn them it's a long, confusing slog, but if you plan to base your religious life on the musings in a holy book, you really need to have at least gone through the entire thing, not just the 'nice parts' that are usually cherry picked during Bible studies in church.

As for resources to help, I highly recommend biblegateway.com as it lets you explore different translations and has a very helpful search feature. The search feature will become essential when you come across something that seems to contradict something you read earlier and you need to sort it out, or the inevitable debates about scripture that require finding passages.