Atheists, Christians, and Private Debates

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Atheists, Christians, and Private Debates

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

I have found that personal requests for private debates, either by PMs or one-on-ones, are typically refused by skeptics and atheists, yet advanced by Christians. I have PMd non-Christians to take me on in a one-on-one and have always been answered with something to the effect "oh, I don't do one-on-ones with Christians; it is a waste of my time."

I just now came across a public correspondence where a Christian invited a one-on-one and the skeptic denied it.

Qs for Debate:

Is the refusal in fact equal on this site: do atheists and agnostics request as many refused public one on ones as Christians? If so, is there documented testimony?

If the request/refusal pattern is in fact one-sided, what does this suggest? Is one party (Christian or Other) nervous? Is the shy party simply sick of debating poor sparring partners? Or is that answer itself a cop-out?

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #21

Post by benchwarmer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From Post 5:
marco wrote: ...
A cat may look at a king but the king is not obliged to play with the cat.
Anyone who has 'em the opportunity to play with 'em a cat, who don't then do it, they ain't earned 'em no crown to begin with.

You, good sir, are out of line.

:wave:
It's ok, where cats are involved, they usually get their revenge. Ignore them too long and they poop in your shoes or jump on your face while you sleep. So, like Joey implies, you better get to playin with them :)

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 12:
liamconnor wrote: It is starting to sound like like the skeptic and atheist are scared to face a Christian on a one on one. I propose the proof will be, how many Christian challenges are made to non, and how many non-Christian challenges are made to Christians.
LOL

Look what happened when I challenged a Christian to show they speak truth in this thread.

I can only suppose their fingers fell right off their hands, and they ain't 'em no good at nub typin'.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

alexxcJRO
Guru

Re: Atheists, Christians, and Private Debates

Post #23

Post by alexxcJRO »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 2 by alexxcJRO]

I don't the statistical numbers.

Q: You don't what? :-s

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 2 by alexxcJRO]
Suppose i was simply trying to get more skeptics to engage more Chrisitians in one on ones?
So you were using a straw man to further your agenda.
liamconnor wrote: I promise I will never, ever, deny a one on one on regards to the historical question of the resurrection of Jesus.

Q: Why not say that you would never, ever, deny a one on one with the skeptics on any subject regarding Christianity?
Q: Why only the historical question of the resurrection of Jesus, huh?

It's clear you only want to debate about the historical question of the resurrection of Jesus yet you complain.

Q: What's up with that?:)

Also,

Q: Why do you complain so much?
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #24

Post by rikuoamero »

For the record...
I have never once been asked, at least to the best of my recollection, by liamconnor for a private one on one or a head to head.

I have asked two people for a head to head; the first was the one I had with For_The_Kingdom and the second is with someone else whom I will not name, that person declined.
The one with FtK though I think was more me posting a request for an opponent and him responding to the challenge.

In all my time here, no-one has ever asked me a question on the Ask a User subforum.
Off-hand, it looks like the theists on this site never ask questions there (going purely by page one of the sub-forum, as going into page 2 and beyond are questions by and to users whom I am unfamiliar with). Curiosity about people, in actual fact, seems more to be a trait of this site's atheists (to use the term as broadly as possible) than it is of the site's theists.

Off-hand, I will note that despite my calling liam out on his hypocrisy for requesting documented testimony while not giving any of his own first...he still has yet to do it.
I guess I mean "head to heads". I have read a good many Christians posts and believe that they would be worthy adversaries for any head to head.
It all depends on who exactly you're talking about. Long-time readers of mine can probably guess who I mean here when I say that there are a few theists on this site whom I would not trust when it came to asking what today's weather is like, to say nothing of the true nature of reality or what a god really and truly wants for us all.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #25

Post by imhereforyou »

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

I think that it is pointless to argue with someone who believes in something only through faith - especially when an afterlife is involved simply because the believer can't be trusted to be honest in the discussion/debate/argument.

That said, those who refuse to see another side of a topic (no matter which side) and isn't willing to hear and consider the other POV creates a rather pointless waste of time and shouldn't be involved in debating to begin with. These people seem to want to convince themselves more than see another view point, much less consider it internally.

As far as I can see it anyway.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #26

Post by Bust Nak »

liamconnor wrote: Well then, I propose a one on one debate regarding the resurrection of Jesus. We will of course have to establish certain ground rules; that itself might be a one on one debate.

I will never, ever, deny a one on one debate that has clear logical boundaries.

And I will be pretty gracious in what deciding those boundaries.
Pass, I am not equipted to debate history, although I would be interested if one was to focus solely on the scientific aspects of a resurrection. My perfered topics are moral subjectivism vs objectivism and infinite regression.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #27

Post by OnceConvinced »

Are you for real Liam? From what I can see it's usually the theists refusing to do the one-on-ones. Zzyzx was always challenging theists to one-on-one debates and most of them wouldn't take up the challenge.

I for one have never been challenged to a one-on-one debate. Whether I would do one or not depends on several factors. Is it a topic I feel strongly about? Is it one I am knowledgeable of? Can I be bothered putting the time and effort into it? Do I have the time to put into it?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #28

Post by The Nice Centurion »

liamconnor wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:53 am I have found that personal requests for private debates, either by PMs or one-on-ones, are typically refused by skeptics and atheists, yet advanced by Christians. I have PMd non-Christians to take me on in a one-on-one and have always been answered with something to the effect "oh, I don't do one-on-ones with Christians; it is a waste of my time."

I just now came across a public correspondence where a Christian invited a one-on-one and the skeptic denied it.

Qs for Debate:

Is the refusal in fact equal on this site: do atheists and agnostics request as many refused public one on ones as Christians? If so, is there documented testimony?

If the request/refusal pattern is in fact one-sided, what does this suggest? Is one party (Christian or Other) nervous? Is the shy party simply sick of debating poor sparring partners? Or is that answer itself a cop-out?
One normally comes to a forum to have open debates.

But it is common for christian apologetics to search for victims there and get them away from the flock.

Or also to avoid forum rules when they forbid too much missionary work!

The one on one debate is charade. This people want to convert not debate.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"