Is there ANY scientific evidence could show there is no God?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Is there ANY scientific evidence could show there is no God?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

Is there any scientific evidence that, if discovered, would prove to a Christian that the God of the Bible is man made and does not correspond to reality? In other words, is there anything you can imagine that would demonstrate there is no God?

Many Christian apologists appeal to science to support their belief in the Christian God; however, I suggest those apologists do not actually accept any scientific evidence that might suggest this 'God Story' is a hoax. I would like to test this hypothesis by asking if there is anything science could report that would convince believers in the God of the Bible that the Biblical claims about God are false?

William
Savant

Re: Is there ANY scientific evidence could show there is no

Post #2

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

Hasn't there already been an abundance of evidence to support that if there was a GOD it wouldn't be the one the Jews invented with their stories, and the Christians and Muslims built upon?

There seems to be a great deal of disagreement as to whether biblical stories should be taken literally, figuratively, a bit of both etc...

In evolving with the idea of GOD human beings are bound to get some things right but I do not see that this indicates therefore that everything an organisation tells us about their idea of GOD has to be considered right just because some things are generically considered to be right.

I really don't think that any science evidence is going to convince folk that their ideas of GOD are wrong. Science doesn't really deal with morality - issues of right and wrong - so arguments using science are not going to be effective for that purpose.

No amount of disgust is going to change folks belief systems. Part of this is because one can be disgusted about evil done in the name of religious GODs and yet perfectly content when the same evil is done in the name of politics and business. This lack of consistency generally won't work any favors for those who focus on complaining about the one while turning a blind eye about the other.

There are a lot of hoaxes going on in all spectrum of human society. We can complain about the religious conspiracies as being genuine and regard the political ones as being 'conspiracy theory' - the domain of the 'loonies'.

I think what will doom us all in the end is our inability to recognize hypocrisy in our own positions while being more than able to recognize it in others.

Such is the nature of The Great Filter.

Perhaps for you, it is a matter of 'once an Evangelical - always an Evangelical'?

Thus the need to somehow always having something to preach against? Good luck with that mission. I can't see it being able to break the spell of those still locked into that which is now 'former' for you, if for no other reason than what I have already pointed out.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

Danmark wrote: Is there any scientific evidence that, if discovered, would prove to a Christian that the God of the Bible is man made and does not correspond to reality? In other words, is there anything you can imagine that would demonstrate there is no God?

Many Christian apologists appeal to science to support their belief in the Christian God; however, I suggest those apologists do not actually accept any scientific evidence that might suggest this 'God Story' is a hoax. I would like to test this hypothesis by asking if there is anything science could report that would convince believers in the God of the Bible that the Biblical claims about God are false?
Isn't evolution doing that?

If i believe in evolution then the Christian God is necessarily false.

A good loving God cant logically justify a billion year horror show called evolution.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Danmark »

Wootah wrote:
Danmark wrote: Is there any scientific evidence that, if discovered, would prove to a Christian that the God of the Bible is man made and does not correspond to reality? In other words, is there anything you can imagine that would demonstrate there is no God?

The fact of evolution only shows that postulating a God is not necessary to explain the variety of species.

A good loving God cant logically justify a billion year horror show called evolution.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Danmark »

William wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

Hasn't there already been an abundance of evidence to support that if there was a GOD it wouldn't be the one the Jews invented with their stories, and the Christians and Muslims built upon?
Yes, but that isn't the issue I've raised. As you suggest, there already is much evidence that suggests the God of the Bible is a ridiculous and outmoded notion. But the fact remains that there are many who claim to have some knowledge of science who still insist their God exists, but who also used science to try to support their religious beliefs.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #6

Post by benchwarmer »

Depends what you mean by "God of the Bible". If you mean that every story in the Bible that describes what this God has done, then I think we already have scientific evidence that disproves this God "as written".

Take the flood story. Science has shown that there is no evidence of a world wide flood. Both geologically (no single time in the geologic record of a mass flood) and genetically (no genetic bottleneck to the supposed time of Noah).

So the evidence is already there. God, as literally written about in the Bible, does not exist. This does not mean there is no god, just not the one literally described in that collection of tales.

What has happened is that most Christians have retreated further and further into "well that's just an allegory/analogy/metaphor/etc" for the various stories that have fallen due to physical evidence.

What we end up with is an argument of "Can we disprove the loosely defined concept called God in the Bible" which of course is impossible because it's a moving target.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #7

Post by benchwarmer »

Wootah wrote:

Actually, I don't think evolution proves the God of the Bible false. Many theists seem to think it does and that's why I suppose they rail against it.
Wootah wrote: If i believe in evolution then the Christian God is necessarily false.

Why not? The God of the Bible is fine senselessly wiping out all life in a mass flood and destroying entire towns with fire and brimstone. Why do you catagorize evolution as a 'billion year horror show'?

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

benchwarmer wrote:
Wootah wrote:

Actually, I don't think evolution proves the God of the Bible false. Many theists seem to think it does and that's why I suppose they rail against it.
Wootah wrote: If i believe in evolution then the Christian God is necessarily false.

Why not? The God of the Bible is fine senselessly wiping out all life in a mass flood and destroying entire towns with fire and brimstone. Why do you catagorize evolution as a 'billion year horror show'?
The flood is believed to be just. Evolution is simply one creature eating another for billions of years. I can't imagine a worse horror movie.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #9

Post by benchwarmer »

Wootah wrote: Evolution is simply one creature eating another for billions of years. I can't imagine a worse horror movie.
Sorry, but that is not the scientific theory of evolution. If you want to shrink it down to a blurb like that, it would be more precise to say "Evolution is simply creatures reproducing for billions of years".

Creatures are still eating one another today, so apparently we are living your 'horror show' right now. I myself had chicken for dinner. :)

Neatras
Guru

Post #10

Post by Neatras »

Wootah wrote:

Seriously? That's your objection to evolution? That it gives you an emotional crisis since you can't reconcile your imaginary best friend with animals eating each other? Why not consider the other implications? The topic is about what might convince you that your god is a figment of your imagination, but you're just posting about how it gives you a bad feeling and conflicts with your personal narrative. You haven't contributed much at all to this discussion.

Lemme give you a few pointers. Evidence that would show that your god is nothing more than an idea in your head that's attached to your identity and won't let go like a parasite includes the development of religion over ancient history.

I don't think you'd be foolish enough to drag this tired argument out, but some creationists do think that the Bible is "too perfect" to be made by human minds or whatever; this is actually something many Muslim apologists say about the Quran. Something about literary perfection. Here's how we use science to tear that apart: We show that religious beliefs have evolved over human history, in very clear and rational ways.

[Youtube][/Youtube]

[quote=""Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 10: Other Religions" at 12:39"]
Hyperactive Agent Detection: The overwhelming tendency for human beings to overattribute agency onto their environment rather than underattribute. It's an ubiquitous aspect of all human psychology that can even be measured empirically under laboratory conditions. For example, pareidolia is the tendency to see things like human faces in otherwise random natural features. Spontaneous social attribution is a potent effect wherein animated geometric shapes are imbued with apparent personalities, relationships, genders, and even backstories! Promiscuous teleology is the tendency to perceive natural objects or random events as having been specially designed with deliberate intention. Personification is a literary device wherein non-human objects, or even abstract objects, are endowed with distinctively human features and emotions. Even autism spectrum disorder has been theorized as a kind of breakdown in these agent detection mechanisms, wherein victims characteristically struggle with basic social skills. So by default, without any need for outside priming or stimulation, the immediate human tendency is to perceive practically everything as if it were endowed with the distinct capacity for motivated agency. That's why, with all other factors being held equal, the spiritual beliefs of all primitive hunter-gatherer cultures have universally been animistic in nature. These so-called primal religions are strikingly similar in that mundane, lifeless objects, including rocks, trees, mountains, and clouds, are all seen as having a distinctly spiritual essence that moves them and governs their behavior.
[/quote]

What does the above essentially mean? I'll give the summary: Early humans living in early human tribes had substantial pressures put on them to survive. As these pressures led to deaths of groups and individuals, those with a strong tendency to see agency in the environment around them exhibited behavior that led to their survival. These tendencies strengthened, and soon all environmental phenomena were attributed to spiritual, invisible forces. Hence, animism.

As animistic beliefs became ingrained in culture, it led to the personification of "spirits" as having human likenesses or even personalities. We observe this in archaeological data, and it is extensively recorded in mythos of ancient cultures. Polytheism emerged because humans continued to believe that there were spirits and gods hiding in the environment that could be reasoned with or appeased. As these legends and myths became more elaborate, gods were proposed not with attachment to a specific physical object, but instead with a limited dominion over some abstract object, such as hunting, fertility, and, in the case of Yahweh Sabaoth, warfare.

Cut forward a few hundred years, and those with a strong devotion to Yahweh can eventually attain power, rewrite religious texts to put Yahweh in as the primary god (a kind of monolatrist polytheism), only to finally perform violent executions of non-believers, paving the way to a monotheistic culture wherein Yahweh is worshiped as the ultimate being with the powers of all gods ever talked about in Hebrew culture.

Do you know why I gave you this history lesson, Wootah? Because nowhere, in any of this rational discussion about how religions develop, did I have to invoke the supernatural. If anything, supernaturalism is a byproduct of humans being too darn paranoid to do anything but see agency in an environment where there is none.

If you wanna start waxing on about how your god is everywhere, you might wanna start working your way through the absolute mess that is your teleological position, given that your religion is stripped utterly naked under scientific scrutiny, the way it has been now.