Is there ANY scientific evidence could show there is no God?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Is there ANY scientific evidence could show there is no God?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

Is there any scientific evidence that, if discovered, would prove to a Christian that the God of the Bible is man made and does not correspond to reality? In other words, is there anything you can imagine that would demonstrate there is no God?

Many Christian apologists appeal to science to support their belief in the Christian God; however, I suggest those apologists do not actually accept any scientific evidence that might suggest this 'God Story' is a hoax. I would like to test this hypothesis by asking if there is anything science could report that would convince believers in the God of the Bible that the Biblical claims about God are false?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #201

Post by Bust Nak »

Still small wrote: When something is designed perfectly for a specific purpose, that doesn’t mean that it is designed perfectly for every purpose, which is apparently what you want or expect. I was watching a laser cutter slicing through a sheet of stainless steel with great precision. A fantastic invention...
But not perfect, not even for a very specific purpose of slicing through stainless steel.
but it is useless as a light source for trying to find where I dropped my keys in the front yard last night. Photons, light beams and laser cutters, specifically, must be imperfect and terribly designed.
Imperfect doesn't necessarily mean terribly designed, they are great, by human standard.
The only thing you are emphasising is your lack of knowledge as to WHY God designed things in a specific way.
The Bible told us what the purpose is, creation just isn't fit for purpose, it doesn't matter why God designed things imperfectly. The "why" doesn't make the imperfect into perfection.
As revealed in the Bible, God’s plans are long term plans...
A better plan would have got the exact same result in an instant. We don't even need to know what the end result is supposed to be to make this claim.
As with the explanation of why milk spoils, rather than looking at it as an imperfect design, it is better for us to understand its original purpose.
Well, you gave me your presumably best shot at its original purpose re: bacteria and digestion, cheese and yogurt, and I gave you better alternatives to fulfill the same purpose - which means milk as designed, is imperfect.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Is there ANY scientific evidence could show there is no

Post #202

Post by Goat »

Wootah wrote:
Danmark wrote: Is there any scientific evidence that, if discovered, would prove to a Christian that the God of the Bible is man made and does not correspond to reality? In other words, is there anything you can imagine that would demonstrate there is no God?

Many Christian apologists appeal to science to support their belief in the Christian God; however, I suggest those apologists do not actually accept any scientific evidence that might suggest this 'God Story' is a hoax. I would like to test this hypothesis by asking if there is anything science could report that would convince believers in the God of the Bible that the Biblical claims about God are false?
Isn't evolution doing that?

If i believe in evolution then the Christian God is necessarily false.

A good loving God cant logically justify a billion year horror show called evolution.
Are you putting restrictions on how on how he made life?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Still small
Apprentice

Post #203

Post by Still small »

Bust Nak wrote:
Still small wrote: As with the explanation of why milk spoils, rather than looking at it as an imperfect design, it is better for us to understand its original purpose.
Well, you gave me your presumably best shot at its original purpose re: bacteria and digestion, cheese and yogurt, and I gave you better alternatives to fulfill the same purpose - which means milk as designed, is imperfect.
The main difference being that along with God being omnipotent, He is also omniscient. While, as you stated in a previous post -
Bust Nak wrote: I challenge you to think of an example where I can't just side step it trivially by making stuff up as I go along - for such is the power of omnipotence. (Emphasis added)
-
God has a set plan which He is bringing about, knowing all the shortcomings of your trivially made up stuff and what effect they would ultimately have. As I said earlier, you are just unaware of God’s ultimate purpose for His actions. Until we fully understand God’s purpose, we are not in a position to judge whether it is good or bad.

Have a good day!
Still small

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #204

Post by Goat »

Still small wrote:
God has a set plan which He is bringing about, knowing all the shortcomings of your trivially made up stuff and what effect they would ultimately have. As I said earlier, you are just unaware of God’s ultimate purpose for His actions. Until we fully understand God’s purpose, we are not in a position to judge whether it is good or bad.

Have a good day!
Still small

How do you know that?? Can you show that is a true statement , other than referring to religious dogma and making unsupported claims? Can you even define what God is, beyond religious rhetoric, and a belief about what the actions of God are supposed to have been.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #205

Post by Bust Nak »

Still small wrote: The main difference being that along with God being omnipotent, He is also omniscient. While, as you stated in a previous post -
Bust Nak wrote: I challenge you to think of an example where I can't just side step it trivially by making stuff up as I go along - for such is the power of omnipotence. (Emphasis added)
-
God has a set plan which He is bringing about, knowing all the shortcomings of your trivially made up stuff and what effect they would ultimately have.
Any short comings God cares to point out, I can just side step it trivially by making more stuff up as I go along. That's what omnipotence allows.
As I said earlier, you are just unaware of God’s ultimate purpose for His actions.
Sure and my counter point was, we don't need to fully understand God’s purpose to be in a position to judge whether it is good or bad - because again - omnipotence. It lets us say "oh you don't like this? Just zap it away." Whatever the "this" is.