Turning Towards Christianity

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Turning Towards Christianity

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Hello, for the past week or two I have been focusing on Christianity, moving towards putting my trust in God the Father and in Jesus. I have been on this site for a long time. Many years ago I was a Christian while on this site. For most of the time after that I have been agnostic.

I am writing because I seek to gain faith. I seek to gain faith to the point where I can believe in my heart in Jesus and the Father. I know there are devoted Christians on this site as I can see it in their steadfast posts. I'm not sure what it is I even desire to get out of this post (hence putting it in random ramblings). In any case, I hope that my faith will grow to where I can say in my heart that I am a Christian.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Turning Towards Christianity

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

jgh7 wrote: [Replying to post 8 by JehovahsWitness]

Thank you for the advice; it makes sense. I am currently reading through the New Testament. It has been a long time since I've read it. It lifts my spirits often when I read it, and I am learning a lot. I am trying to pray a lot more as well for God's guidance in numerous aspects of my life and in getting closer to Him.

Good for you!

Just try and keep in mind cultivating faith is like becoming a doctor. You don't get a medical degree by watching "Grey's Anatomy" and really really wanting to be a doctor with all your heart. You have to study and studying is not just reading (hence the textbook).

Nobody believes they can become a doctor without following some kind of course, even if its an online one, without a teacher or an instructor and without books. But people believe they don't need any help to find the Truth and that's simply not true, if it were Jesus wouldn't have sent his disciples out to teach people (see Mat 28:19, 20).

So as long as you understand its not just an emotional, sentamental, touchy feely I'll believe what feels good thing, but a search for truth which will involve reason and logic as well as a sincere desire to understand the whys and wherefors, then you will do fine.

JW

You know you're half way to beginning when you can confidently answer all these questions from the bible:

What Is God’s Purpose for Us?
1. Who Is God?
2. The Bible—A Book From God
3. What Is God’s Purpose for Humans?
4. Who Is Jesus Christ?
5. The Ransom—God’s Greatest Gift
6. Where Do We Go When We Die?
7. There Will Be a Resurrection!
8. What Is God’s Kingdom?
9. Is the End of the World Near?
10. The Truth About the Angels
11. Why So Much Suffering?
12. How Can You Become God’s Friend?
13. Respect the Gift of Life
14. Your Family Can Be Happy
15. The Right Way to Worship God
16. Choose to Worship God
17. The Privilege of Prayer
18. Should I Dedicate My Life to God and Be Baptized?
19. Stay Close to Jehovah

source: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/publication/r ... bhs/E/2015
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Mluci

Post #12

Post by Mluci »

Hi jgh7,

I can identify with you a lot. I too was a Christian, growing up in the church, but got way-off track for several years. Came back to God in my 30's, but it took many months for Jesus to settle into my heart.

I learned a few things along the way.

No. 1
Looking back, I realized that the reason I had lost my faith in the first place was because God was not my God. The church I grew up in was my god, but I wasn't aware of it at the time.

No. 2
When I returned to God it was similar to what you are doing. I was seeking for those many months. But I did pray to the "real God" if he would show me if he truly existed. I started reading the Bible and slammed the Bible shut many times because I did not like what I was reading.

No. 3
The answer was found in the Bible after all. Fortunately, "something" kept prompting me to return to the Bible. I could try and tell you the specifics, but I truly believe it is an individual experience with each person, because as an old saying goes, "God has no grandchildren." We all need to be born again into his family through receiving Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. And, "The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children" (Romans 8:16)
Somehow he just knows how to touch our hearts when we step out in faith to trust Him.

No. 4
Just be cautious as to what you read outside of the Bible. There are many interpretations of what the Bible says. Let the promise of Jesus fill you with the hope that the Holy Spirit can do that job (John 14:26) Christians believe in a Triune God of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Jesus reveals them all and how they relate to you.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #13

Post by Overcomer »

If you're looking for a good site that answers a lot of questions about Christianity, I recommend this one:

https://www.gotquestions.org/

It's a Christian site that offers a lot of information to help you learn and grow.

And as you grow and get deeper and deeper into the Christian faith, this site offers more in-depth articles:

https://bible.org/

God bless you, jgh7. O.

bluethread
Savant

Post #14

Post by bluethread »

Divine Insight wrote:
In fact, if you join a Christian mission they'll make sure you always have something to do. 8-)
Though we do not agree on many things, I agree with DI on this. It is important that you get involved in a community. I would hope that it would be a community that encourages one to question what one is reading and hearing. A doctrinaire community might provide some short term stability, but it will eventually not provide the meaning that you appear to be seeking. Also, simply reading through the writings of the Apostles will just provide one with platitudes and rationalizations, if one does not understand the full context of what they are writing about.

Therefore, I advise that first and foremost, that you first find community. Second, if you need short term stability, adopt a temporary doctrinal position. Third, as your life stabilizes, examine some platitudes and rationalizations, keeping in mind that you can always fine tune your beliefs. Finally, when you are strong, systematically study all of the Scriptures with and eye toward understanding the historical, grammatical and cultural contexts surrounding them. Also, do not feel that you are inadequate simply because you have not progressed as far or as fast as you would like. It is a journey and it does not end when one gets to the point of examining things in a cultural context. That is only the beginning and as one progresses one is able to develop personal relationships of greater and greater depth.

jgh7

Post #15

Post by jgh7 »

[Replying to post 14 by bluethread]

Thank you, good advice indeed! One step at a time, first thing is going to a Sunday service. I've been reading the bible a lot, but getting involved with the community is definitely the next step I believe.

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

jgh7 wrote:
...getting involved with the community is definitely the next step I believe.
Getting involved with a community is a great idea. Getting involved with a community that does not require you to accept irrational claims about reality is a much better idea. It is the community that will help you, not the acceptance of irrational religious ideas.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

jgh7 wrote: [Replying to post 14 by bluethread]

Thank you, good advice indeed! One step at a time, first thing is going to a Sunday service. I've been reading the bible a lot, but getting involved with the community is definitely the next step I believe.

That's a good idea. There may be a KINGDOM HALL of Jehovah's Witnesses near you, the meetings are public and very educational.

Find a meeting
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/meetings/

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #18

Post by benchwarmer »

jgh7 wrote: [Replying to post 14 by bluethread]

Just make sure your wanting to belong to a community doesn't make you susceptible to swallowing whatever any particular community may be preaching.

If you really want to 'become a Christian' I think you really need to research and visit many different denominations before diving too far in.

My mistake when I became a Christian was getting caught up in the great community before I really understood what they were 'selling'. All of my moves from non Christian, to one denomination or another involved the draw of the community first. It's only later when I decided to take a really hard look at the beliefs and could no longer squash my intellectual honesty did I finally drop Christianity.

All that to say, community is great, but like the saying goes, don't drink the kool-aid without being sure of the ingredients.

Whatever you choose, I really do hope you find happiness in your choice.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

[Replying to post 18 by benchwarmer]

I'm sorry you never found a community where you could use your intellect AND find loving spiritual brotherhood. I found both in the community of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES.

Did you ever visit a Kingdom Hall in your search?

JW

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #20

Post by benchwarmer »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 18 by benchwarmer]

I'm sorry you never found a community where you could use your intellect AND find loving spiritual brotherhood. I found both in the community of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES.

Did you ever visit a Kingdom Hall in your search?

JW
No, but I had a few JWs visit me - albeit uninvited. The conversations were filled with ridiculous claims and didn't last long. I had no interest in pursuing their particular flavor of Christianity.

I'm truly happy that you have found the right fit.

I'm beyond going back to any form of Christianity now. I still have some hope there is a 'something else', but I no longer engage in make believe and thus wait for actual evidence beyond sincere preaching.