Just Curious

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Overcomer
Guru

Just Curious

Post #1

Post by Overcomer »

I'm just wondering why The Joys of Being a Christian has been moved to Random Ramblings while The Joys of Being an Atheist remains in the Apologetics forum. The latter is simply the obverse of the former. Shouldn't they both be in the same forum?

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Just Curious

Post #2

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by Overcomer]

I don't know the exact reason as I'm not a mod and obviously didn't move it (or put it there), but to me it seems fairly obvious.

The atheist thread starts with an explanation of personal experience and observation and then asks a question for debate. The Christian thread starts with a bunch of Bible verses being claimed as true (aka preaching) and has no question for debate.

If you wanted a parallel thread, perhaps just your personal experience and joys as a Christian followed by a debate question would be just as acceptable in the debate DC&R subforum.

Just my $0.05 anyways....

Overcomer
Guru

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

Thanks for your $0.05, benchwarmer!

You wrote:
The atheist thread starts with an explanation of personal experience and observation and then asks a question for debate. The Christian thread starts with a bunch of Bible verses being claimed as true (aka preaching) and has no question for debate.
There was no debate question in the atheist's post. The only question asked was this one:
Why not join us and experience the joy of atheism?

I don't consider that a debate question. I consider it an invitation.

Additionally, both the atheist and the Christian explained why they were just that -- an atheist and a Christian. I don't see any difference in their approach at all except that the Christian quoted Scripture pertinent to the subject. That's why I didn't understand why By Grace's thread was moved and Jagella's wasn't. It seemed to me they were of the same ilk.

You wrote:
If you wanted a parallel thread, perhaps just your personal experience and joys as a Christian followed by a debate question would be just as acceptable in the debate DC&R subforum.
I see that By Grace has done just that. She/he started a new thread in the Apologetics forum in which she/he explains why she/he is a Christian and then asks if any other religions or atheism offer as much. That is actually a debate question.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

Overcomer wrote: Thanks for your $0.05, benchwarmer!

You wrote:
There was no debate question in the atheist's post. The only question asked was this one:
Why not join us and experience the joy of atheism?

I don't consider that a debate question. I consider it an invitation.
Well, you are welcome to your opinion. None the less, a question was asked and it's clearly a debatable topic. You could have replied with "Well, here's why not.....". Your thread did not contain a question of any sort.
Overcomer wrote: Additionally, both the atheist and the Christian explained why they were just that -- an atheist and a Christian. I don't see any difference in their approach at all except that the Christian quoted Scripture pertinent to the subject. That's why I didn't understand why By Grace's thread was moved and Jagella's wasn't. It seemed to me they were of the same ilk.
If Jagella had simply quoted some text, say from Harry Potter or any other manuscript, as if that text were true with no explanation or evidence then it would have been the same thing. He did not do that.
Overcomer wrote: You wrote:
I see that By Grace has done just that. She/he started a new thread in the Apologetics forum in which she/he explains why she/he is a Christian and then asks if any other religions or atheism offer as much. That is actually a debate question.
I agree that By Grace started a proper debate thread. I even put in a reply :)

Overcomer
Guru

Post #5

Post by Overcomer »

benchwarmer wrote:
I agree that By Grace started a proper debate thread. I even put in a reply.
Good for you! O:)

imhereforyou
Scholar

Re: Just Curious

Post #6

Post by imhereforyou »

Overcomer wrote: I'm just wondering why The Joys of Being a Christian has been moved to Random Ramblings while The Joys of Being an Atheist remains in the Apologetics forum. The latter is simply the obverse of the former. Shouldn't they both be in the same forum?
Conspiracy perhaps? Now that would be a lark here wouldn't it?!?
:)
Maybe this would have better been served as an IM to a MOD and not a thread? Unless, of course, this is yet another conspiracy... :-s :shock: :?