Why do you believe the bible is 'the word of GOD'?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Why do you believe the bible is 'the word of GOD'?

Post #1

Post by William »

I myself do not believe that the bible is 'The Word of GOD' but many do and they specifically use this belief as an assumed authoritative platform in which to argue from.

Often when challenged as to the legitimacy of this claim, Christians tend to assume the position that there is no need to discuss or debate that the idea may be false, and this would appear to be because their whole belief system is based upon that underlying belief, and to not believe it would signify the end of their belief system. When challenged they tend to remain silent and ignore, more often than not.

I think the bible is more the god of Christianity than any actual real GOD, and have never been presented with any evidence to support the belief that the bible is actually the word of GOD.

So my questions to those who believe that the bible is the word of GOD, are;

1: why do you believe this is true and

2: Would it make any difference to any relationship you think you have with GOD, if you believed that it wasn't actually the case?

Thank You.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Why do you believe the bible is 'the word of GOD'?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

William wrote:
So my questions to those who believe that the bible is the word of GOD, are;

2: Would it make any difference to any relationship you think you have with GOD, if you believed that it wasn't actually the case?

Thank You.
This post presents my beliefs as to why I believe the bible is the Word of God.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 255#840255
William wrote:2: Would it make any difference to any relationship you think you have with GOD, if you believed that it wasn't actually the case?[/url]
Yes. There would be much I wouldn't know about God nor be sure about him. One cannot have a relationship with someone without being sure about basic information.

Plus I believe God communicates with his people through his word the bible, revealing as a group and on an individual level what he wants of them and how he feels about them.

Further I could not have confidence in a God that couldn't even do what JK Rowling can, produce a book and protect its contents.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 457#833457

Further I would have no solid reason to believe the numerous promises made in the book. I wouldn't stake my life, or risk it (as many have done) to read and obey the words in a book that was not from God no matter how positive its contents or general message.

I have to disagree with Mr Lincoln, I don't believe the bible is God's most precious gift, but one of his most precious gifts to mankind.

“I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good from The Savior of the world is communicated to us through this Book.� ― Abraham Lincoln

A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education. - Theodore Roosevelt

The Bible is one of the greatest blessings bestowed by God on the children of men. It has God for its author; salvation for its end, and truth without any mixture for its matter. It is all pure. - John Locke

If you look at the Bible as a whole, it's redemptive and beautiful, and it's God's love story to mankind. -- Tom Shadyac

The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think. No book in the world equals the Bible for that. - Harper Lee

The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed. - Patrick Henry

When science and the Bible differ, science has obviously misinterpreted its data. -- Henry M. Morris
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

So what you are really arguing is that you believe it is the word of GOD and for that matter, the word a true actual GOD and for that matter the word of The only real GOD, therefore it is not a matter of whether it is actually TRUE, but simply a matter that you believe it is true. You believe it is truth because you believe the bible is true. You believe that the bible is the 'word of GOD'.

Believing something (anything) is true, of course, is not in any way the same as knowing it is true, and does not in any way make something true.

Claiming the bible is 'the word of GOD' is therefore fallacy. It is apparent that Christians do not actually KNOW if that is the case or not, they simply choose to believe that it is.

So now - in looking at your reasons for WHY you have such belief you say (from the link you provided);
#1 It claims to be the word of God.
It is a book of stories most certainly conceived by humans. In that, even if it actually DID claim to be 'the word of GOD' as you claim, the claim would be from humans who compiled those stories into the framework of a book.

While you do not provide collaborative evidence to support the claim you do cite 'other religions' which do not make such claims about their writ. In that, it can be argued that they do not make such claims because to do so would not be truthful, whereas Christians make the claim about their own writ, this in itself does not make the claim truthful.
#2 It contains information that would not have been available to the writers at the time.
The information you cite can be acquired in a number of ways and also, other writ from other religious sources have the same qualities in them, but they still refrain from making any claim that their writ is 'the word of GOD'.

It is possible that the knowledge was acquired from extraterrestrial species and indeed many human records to do with 'gods' from 'above' can be interpreted this way, and the biblical stories are no exception.

If you are as studious as you present yourself to being, you would have examined this possibility. Assuming you have, why then have you discounted it?

Another way in which a human being might obtain the knowledge that the earth is a globe and appears to be suspended, is through astral projection. A great deal of information on this subject is available freely on the internet and - again - If you are as studious as you present yourself to being, you would have examined this possibility. Assuming you have, why then have you discounted it?

#3 It records history before it has happened.

This argument can be explained through something referred to as Manifest Destiny. This is the ability to plan for a particular future outcome and have it manifest in time to be reality.
No GOD is required for this to be made possible. All that is required is power, money, influence and information and in relation to influence, the means in which to get multitudes of people to believe in something and work toward that end. The end result is that you make prophetic utterances come true, not because any GOD is behind the prophesy but because of those other things mentioned.
CONCLUSION: The contents of the bible, its historical and scientific accuracy, its prophetic detail, as well as the practical benefits millions have drawn from applying its principles, convinces many that it is not just an exceptional book but, is what it claims to be, "the word of God".
Yet you cite nothing at all which shows the bible clearly self identifies as being 'the word of GOD.'

Millions also get 'practical benefit' from their own religious writ which is not the bible, and indeed even from secular sources of information so in that your argument isn't convincing that this or any of your other reasons, is a good reason for believing the bible is the word of any GOD.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

William wrote: So what you are really arguing is that you believe it is the word of GOD ...
Wasn't that what you were asking?
William wrote: So my questions to those who believe that the bible is the word of GOD, are;

1: why do you believe this is true [...] ?
You asked for those with a belief to explain why they believe as they do. I did just as you requested. I have made no claims, I have simply presented what I believe and why as requested.

If you are unconvinced by my reasoning, I can only suggest you not believe.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #5

Post by imhereforyou »

[Replying to post 1 by William]

I think too many times people put too much of an emphasis on 'the word' and not their own thinking and experiences. The fact about the bible is that it is a series of stories written by people and edited by other people. The only evidence that it is written by God, the word of God or inspired by God is the bible itself. Not too often do we, as intelligent beings, allow an innate object to prove itself (I'm right because I say I'm right) to the point where people die over it and amass their money and lives to follow it.
That, itself, should make it suspect.
Just my 2¢ - hopefully it's worth at least that

polonius
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
William wrote: So what you are really arguing is that you believe it is the word of GOD ...
William wrote: So my questions to those who believe that the bible is the word of GOD, are;

You asked for those with a belief to explain why they believe as they do. I did just as you requested. I have made no claims, I have simply presented what I believe and why as requested.

JW
RESPONSE: That would be a logical decision. "Test everything. Retain what is true, but put aside things of child'

polonius
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

JW

RESPONSE: Or put aside erroneous beliefs as Paul suggests ;)

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to post 4 by JehovahsWitness]
So what you are really arguing is that you believe it is the word of GOD ...

"So my questions to those who believe that the bible is the word of GOD, are;

1: why do you believe this is true [...] ?"
No. I wasn't asking 'do you believe the bible is the word of GOD?' I was asking WHY do those who believe the bible is the word of GOD, believe that this is truth.

Your answer therefore is not so much as explaining WHY you believe what you believe, but simply saying you believe it because you want to believe it.
You asked for those with a belief to explain why they believe as they do.
Yes, that is correct.
I did just as you requested.
You gave me a link where I could read your reasons why you believe that, yes. I read the link and saw that your reasoning was faulty, and reported that find to you (and the reader in general).
I have made no claims, I have simply presented what I believe and why as requested.

You claim the bible is the word of GOD, do you not? Also you said this;
Plus I believe God communicates with his people through his word the bible, revealing as a group and on an individual level what he wants of them and how he feels about them.

That is a claim by you that the bible is the word of GOD.

Also you said in that post, this;
Yes. There would be much I wouldn't know about God nor be sure about him. One cannot have a relationship with someone without being sure about basic information.
Which is a claim that one cannot know about GOD or be sure about GOD or have a relationship with GOD without the bible.

Yet the more we know about the creation, the more we must therefore know about the creator. Creation is something which doesn't require faith to observe and thus one can know much of GOD through observing creation.
Whereas the bible is observed to be a book of stories which are largely unverifiable and which also tell the reader that GOD can be observed through atrocious actions of human beings with questionable agenda.

Apart from that, the thread itself is one which not only is asking people to say WHY they believe the bible is the word of GOD, but also for 'Debating the pros and cons of this belief.'

You gave a link that gives some explanation as to why you believe this and then when I reply showing the reader that your reasons for your beliefs are debatable, you choose to adopt the 'I did not claim anything' retort and ignore answering those things I got back to you with, related to your reasons WHY you believe what you do.

I have shown that WHY you believe those things are good indicators, is unreasonable and requires further questioning to see if truth can be established.

I even said that the bible itself makes no such claim to being 'the word of GOD' to the best of my knowledge and asked you to show the reader exactly when this is in the bible, if indeed it even is in the bible. You haven't offered the evidence so that the reader can investigate the claim.

All you have done is basically state that you believe the bible is the word of GOD and appear to expect that the reader should simply accept that - which is fine if that is all this were about, but it is also about how such an unproven claim is spread around as if it were the truth, and indeed - people sometimes even knock at my door and make such claims!! It is only prudent to ask, but if there is no answer except 'oh we just believe it is' then so be it. But often it is more the case of 'Well this is WHY we believe it is' and then they want to come in and do bible study with me.

But they are not going to get my permission to do so if they cannot answer such questions as I put to you which you have thus far avoided answering, and certainly if they came back at me with the kind of expression similar to what you have done here, nor would they get my respect.

I gave solid reasons why I need not be convinced by your reasoning. As I also said in the OP.
I myself do not believe that the bible is 'The Word of GOD' but many do and they specifically use this belief as an assumed authoritative platform in which to argue from.

Often when challenged as to the legitimacy of this claim, Christians tend to assume the position that there is no need to discuss or debate that the idea may be false, and this would appear to be because their whole belief system is based upon that underlying belief, and to not believe it would signify the end of their belief system. When challenged they tend to remain silent and ignore, more often than not.
This thread is for the purpose of inviting those who believe, to explain WHY they believe. If those explanations are questionable or not shown to be truthful under examination, then anyone seeking truth is entitled ask for it and to receive it from those who claim to represent the truth.

So, yes, I am unconvinced by WHY you believe - by your reasoning. I do not believe you.

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

William wrote:

I believed because as a child I deferred to what I considered was centuries of learned opinion. Having met individuals in that consensus I see no reason to discard my own views in their favour. Multiply a wrong statement by a billion and it does not become true. I have no doubt that many believers are absolutely sincere; sadly, sincerity isn't synonymous with truth.

My boyhood relationship with God was one of fear; the most impressive argument for me was his architecture of hell. If there is an Intelligence I would suppose it is not born of primitive superstitions but reposes in deep logic, albeit unknowably. I await his calling card.

marco
Savant

Post #10

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
This post presents my beliefs as to why I believe the bible is the Word of God.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 255#840255

#1 It claims to be the word of God.

With the exception of the Quran, the holy book of Islam, surprisingly few religious make the unique claim of contain the words, thoughts, prophecies and instructions of Almighty God Himself.

Well of course if OTHERS claim this, then the claim is NOT unique. In fact the Koran makes its claim in stronger terms, so if one goes by "claim", one opts for the Koran.
#2 It contains information that would not have been available to the writers at the time.

You will find that the lovers of the Koran make the same pronouncement. It is almost raised to the level of a scientific document, so ahead of its time is the wonderful book.

#3 It records history before it has happened. The bible records historical details and events long before (in some cases hundreds of years) before they happened. This presents its most convincing evidence of Divine authorship since humans do not have the ability to see into the future.
Well to be clear, it gives veiled details that can be taken prophetically as referring to this or that event - take your choice. Again the same claim is made for the Koran.

You have made an excellent case for converting to Islam.