"It is finished"

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

"It is finished"

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

When Jesus uttered his last words on the cross, "it is finished", what did he mean?

That his life is finished?

That his ministry is finished?

That his "redemptive work on the cross" was finished?

That his suffering is over?

Was Jesus making a human statement, or a theological one?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Hawkins
Scholar

Re: "It is finished"

Post #2

Post by Hawkins »

Elijah John wrote: When Jesus uttered his last words on the cross, "it is finished", what did he mean?

That his life is finished?

That his ministry is finished?

That his "redemptive work on the cross" was finished?

That his suffering is over?

Was Jesus making a human statement, or a theological one?
There is a formal theological explanation, you can consult your pastor to get it.

Personally, I reckon that the strong feeling of being forsaken is part of the process of death. It thus stands witnessing that Jesus has truly experienced a human death.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

Elijah John wrote: When Jesus uttered his last words on the cross, "it is finished", what did he mean?
We must ask what John thought he meant by placing these words in the mouth of Christ. Are they really verbatim? The writers were keen to keep Christ's life in harmony with what was predicted, so as to fulfil, artificially, this or that bit of prophecy. So we get:

" Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty." A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. "

It would seem Christ was acting out a play and the play ended with his death. Or so his biographers may have believed. It is unlikely that the exact formulation of words was recorded - just a biased impression of what may have taken place. The same poetry surrounded his birth with the words of Mary and the angel recorded, as if verbatim. As if!

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #4

Post by Inigo Montoya »

He meant that, at that very moment, the jots and tittles pass away, shrimp is okay and the wearing of mixed fabrics is cool now.

Because if that's not what he meant then, you people are all sinning like mad.

Remind me again where "John" was during that epic cinematic moment..

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

Inigo Montoya wrote: He meant that, at that very moment, the jots and tittles pass away, shrimp is okay and the wearing of mixed fabrics is cool now.

Because if that's not what he meant then, you people are all sinning like mad.

Remind me again where "John" was during that epic cinematic moment..
I personally don't believe He was saying any of that and am in lttle trouble in that regard. As to where Yochannan was, according to the account he was standing right there with Miriam(Yeshua's mother).

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #6

Post by Inigo Montoya »

[Replying to post 6 by bluethread]

I dunno, B to the T. I'm pretty sure he was letting us know we could ignore the Law at that point. How else are the faithful to justify all you can eat snow crab at Red Lobster after church?

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

Inigo Montoya wrote: [Replying to post 6 by bluethread]

I dunno, B to the T. I'm pretty sure he was letting us know we could ignore the Law at that point. How else are the faithful to justify all you can eat snow crab at Red Lobster after church?
They are not the faithful to the Covenant.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

marco wrote:
We must ask what John thought he meant by placing these words in the mouth of Christ. Are they really verbatim? The writers were keen to keep Christ's life in harmony with what was predicted, so as to fulfil, artificially, this or that bit of prophecy. So we get:

" Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty." A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. "

It would seem Christ was acting out a play and the play ended with his death. Or so his biographers may have believed. It is unlikely that the exact formulation of words was recorded - just a biased impression of what may have taken place. The same poetry surrounded his birth with the words of Mary and the angel recorded, as if verbatim. As if!
I think you make a good point suggesting that it was John's "recollection" of what Jesus said. Tinged, no doubt by theological interpretation, as John so often seems to have done.

Having said that, the cry "it is finished" seems quote plausible at the end of an agonizing death. A truly human statement, along the lines of "My God, My God why have you forsaken me?"

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 5 by bluethread]

Moderator Action

Moderator EJ removed the "sorry double post" statement for you.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

-YHVH is LORD

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #10

Post by Inigo Montoya »

[Replying to post 7 by bluethread]

I believe you just offended something like 1.3 billion Christians who would vehemently disagree. How do you reckon we settle which are the good Christians doing what they're supposed to?