Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

How should we interpret the Bible?

Post #1

Post by Tart »

How should we interpret the Bible? Let me propose one method... We should interpret the Bible as to seek for the truth. We should seek to understand what the truth is about the scripture... That is the one method of interpretation i propose... So if it is a parable, we should interpret it as a parable. If its a proverb, we should interpret it as a proverb. If its historical, we should interpret it as historical, and even if it is a myth, we should interpret it as a myth. The one method of interpretation is to determine what is the truth about it... To seek to understand it, and make sense out of it... Thats my suggestion.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #11

Post by Overcomer »

You are right, Tart. We need to always ascertain what the genre of a book is before attempting to interpret it. In fact, genre can dictate meaning. We don't read poetry the same way we do history or prophecy or an epistle.

Here are seven principles of interpretation:

Principle 1: Interpretation must be based on the author’s intention of meaning and not the reader.

Principle 2: Interpretations must be done in the context of the passage.

Principle 3: Interpret the Bible literally (or normally) allowing for normal use of figurative language.

Principle 4: Use the Bible to help interpret itself.

Principle 5: Interpretation must be distinguished from application.

Principle 6: Be sensitive to distinctions between Israel and the church and Old Covenant and New Covenant eras/requirements.

Principle 7: Be sensitive to the type of literature you are in.

An explanation of each of these principles can be found here:

https://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-6-p ... rpretation

I want to stress #5: Interpretation should not be confused with application. The Bible has one meaning and many applications, not many meanings, as some think.

I always recommend How To Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart. It's an accessible look at proper Biblical exegesis. For those wanting something more academic, I recommend the text I used in my hermeneutics class -- Introduction to Biblical Interpretation by William Klein, Craig Blomberg, and Robert Hubbard.

And if you want to go deeper into the subject, there's Grant Osborne's The Hermeneutical Spiral.

You can find links to good articles on how to study the bible here:

https://bible.org/topics/363/Bible%20Study%20Methods

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: How should we interpret the Bible?

Post #12

Post by Checkpoint »

polonius.advice wrote:
Tart wrote: How should we interpret the Bible? Let me propose one method... We should interpret the Bible as to seek for the truth. We should seek to understand what the truth is about the scripture... That is the one method of interpretation i propose... So if it is a parable, we should interpret it as a parable. If its a proverb, we should interpret it as a proverb. If its historical, we should interpret it as historical, and even if it is a myth, we should interpret it as a myth. The one method of interpretation is to determine what is the truth about it... To seek to understand it, and make sense out of it... Thats my suggestion.

RESPONSE: And if the evidence shows it to be fictional. Ignore it. ;)
What kind of evidence?

From what source?

Who determines that that source, and that evidence, is credible?

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by DPMartin »

Tart wrote: How should we interpret the Bible? Let me propose one method... We should interpret the Bible as to seek for the truth. We should seek to understand what the truth is about the scripture... That is the one method of interpretation i propose... So if it is a parable, we should interpret it as a parable. If its a proverb, we should interpret it as a proverb. If its historical, we should interpret it as historical, and even if it is a myth, we should interpret it as a myth. The one method of interpretation is to determine what is the truth about it... To seek to understand it, and make sense out of it... Thats my suggestion.

nope absolutely not. the interpretation is Jesus Christ, He is the correct fulfillment thereof. any other interpretation is erroneous, incorrect and corrupt.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
How should we interpret the Bible? Let me propose one method... We should interpret the Bible as to seek for the truth. We should seek to understand what the truth is about the scripture...
As we note you are on record as refusing to support your contentions.

Preacher man, that's all you are!
That is the one method of interpretation i propose... So if it is a parable, we should interpret it as a parable. If its a proverb, we should interpret it as a proverb. If its historical, we should interpret it as historical, and even if it is a myth, we should interpret it as a myth. The one method of interpretation is to determine what is the truth about it... To seek to understand it, and make sense out of it... Thats my suggestion.
And if it's bull feathers, we should treat it as such!

That's my suggestion.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Danmark »

DPMartin wrote:

nope absolutely not. the interpretation is Jesus Christ, He is the correct fulfillment thereof. any other interpretation is erroneous, incorrect and corrupt.
That is a great example of how to be biased, to not seek truth at all, but rather to start with a claim and reject anything that demonstrates the claim is not well founded.

A great example of biased or unfounded, unsupported interpretation comes from one of Tart's posts, posting.php?mode=quote&p=917516 which I repost here with explanation of the bias. He assumes, without foundation, support, or explanation, that Micah, chapter 5 MUST be about Jesus when there not only is no basis for thinking this is a reference to Jesus, but there are details which suggest the opposite:
Danmark wrote:
Tart wrote:
"But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel"

That is where Jesus was born
So were thousands of others over the years.
"He will stand and shepherd his flock"

Jesus reference
Really? You have to be kidding. Jesus was the son of a carpenter, not a shepherd. Also, how many shepherds were born in Bethlehem? You talk as if Jesus was the only one, when in fact he wasn't a shepherd at all. He simply used shepherds as analogies in some of his parables.

" in the majesty of the name of the Lord his God.
And they will live securely, for then his greatness
will reach to the ends of the earth."
Again, no reference to Jesus of Nazareth.

Which Jesus was quoted saying
"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations"

" And he will be our peace
when the Assyrians invade our land
and march through our fortresses."

This is true, Jesus is our peace
Again, there is no reason to assume this is a reference to Jesus.

I dont think this prophecy gives reference to any kind of military force... Jesus submitted, and prayed for the forgiveness of those

:?: :shock: Really? Micah plainly refers to military force:

Marshal your troops now, city of troops,
for a siege is laid against us.
They will strike Israel’s ruler
on the cheek with a rod.

In addition to the lack of evidence, textually, that any of your arguments have anything to do with Jesus, you forget [if you ever knew] that NT writers wrote with OT passages in mind, TRYING to fit them into a Jesus narrative. As many others have remarked, this is like shooting an arrow into a barn, then years later painting a bullseye around the arrow and claiming "Bullseye!" :P

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #16

Post by brianbbs67 »

I just pray for wisdom and understanding before I read. Seems to work.

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

brianbbs67 wrote:
That's an interesting answer. How would you know if it didn't?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #18

Post by brianbbs67 »

Tcg wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:
That's an interesting answer. How would you know if it didn't?
I would receive no wisdom or understanding ;)

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

brianbbs67 wrote:
I would receive no wisdom or understanding ;)
How do you determine what is or is not wisdom or understanding? Do you have some standard you can use to differentiate between the two?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Danmark »

brianbbs67 wrote: I just pray for wisdom and understanding before I read. Seems to work.
I agree. I prayed for wisdom and understanding and discovered the Bible is written by men, not God.