Did Michele Wolf cross a line at the WHCD?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Did Michele Wolf cross a line at the WHCD?

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

Did comedian Michele Wolf's no-holds-barred delivery cross some line of decency at the White House Correspondent's Dinner last night? Could it be compared to Donald Trump's "locker room" talk that was caught on an open mike?

Recently I was upbraided by moderator Elijah John for using the term "brain-dead" -- and rightfully so! My wife reminded me that there are afflictions in the world that should not be made fun of, and I respect her and EJ's criticism.

Michele Wolf did not make fun of anyone who couldn't fight back, including the printed press (which she termed an endangered species). But she was raunchy, used the "F" word twice (note that her performance was after 10:00 PM -- well past the bedtime of most Republicans), and the majority party's countenances in the room were anything but Smiling . She hit on Democrats too -- and famous over-weight women. The House Speaker was literally emasculated. Two people who were not touched with her acid humor: Robert Mueller and the president's wife.

There's no doubt that the bar of "decent" speech has been lowered by Trump's insensitive rhetoric, but is even this supposed breach a violation of the First Amendment? Keep in mind what Thomas Jefferson once said: " . . . as long as it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg . . " What people carped about him made little difference.

Even Trump's recent series of oratorical outbursts (along with Kim Jong-un's) threatening imminent annihilation has maybe melted tensions around the world with present day more metered discourse. In other words, even coarse dialogue doesn't kill people. How many conflict-related deaths are associated with "indecent" talk? Trash talk, obscene language, insults -- none of these have taken lives, certainly not in the volumes killed in wars and mass murders.

Question for debate: has the Press gone too far in its "obsessive" pursuit of Donald Trump's policies and behavior? and should comedians like Michele Wolf be banned at future White House Roasts?

bjs
Prodigy

Post #2

Post by bjs »

I thought she was mean.

A roast is supposed to be funny. When I heard Michele Wolf speak, especially when she talked about the press secretary, I mostly felt sorry for the poor woman who had to sit there and absorb such humorless abuse.

Pointing to Mr. Trumps unkind words do not justify hers. Also, this was not a “caught on tape� moment like some of Trumps worst statements. This was something she desired to be heard by the entire world.

Ms. Wolf was absolute within her first amendment rights to say what she said. She should not be banned from the White House or anything like that.

However, it was my first encounter with Ms. Wolf’s style of comedy and, given the choice, it will be my last. She tried to use humor as an excuse for abject cruelty. It is not a crime, but certainly not something I want to see again.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

starthrower
Student

Post #3

Post by starthrower »

The media and the Trump administration have earned every scornful comment Ms Wolf dished out. Should we continue joking in polite fun about the television media and our government destroying what's left of truth and our democratic republic?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Since Trump became president there are no longer any lines. He has already crossed them all. And let's not forget that he's the one who rejects "Political Correctness" (i.e. being polite, considerate, and respectful of other people). So now in the Trump era anything goes.

There's really no room to be knocking comedians when Trump is doing far worse from the bully pulpit of the Presidency of the United States of America.

The USA has become an example to the rest of the world of just how ignorant and immature Americans have become.

I am an American and I'm deeply embarrassed and ashamed of what our country has become since Trump has been elected president. I honestly didn't believe that Americans would ever elect such an immature ignorant person as our president. But evidently I was over-estimated the intelligence and maturity of my fellow Americans.

We are no a country of absolute shame and disgrace to humanity.

Yes, the comedian was way over the line, but what difference does that make when our President is even far more over the line?

At least we could put the comedian off as being an individual with bad taste and no respect for humanity.

But that's pretty hard to do for a President that supposedly represents our nation.

So who cares about the comedian when our President is a far greater problem?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

starthrower
Student

Post #5

Post by starthrower »

Divine Insight wrote:
The media is the problem. Ms Wolf did their job for them. The TV media helped Trump get into office with massive coverage and very little criticism, and now they complain about him daily. If they had done their job during the campaign, they would have told the American people the truth. Trump is a demagogue, a fraud.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

starthrower wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
The media is the problem. Ms Wolf did their job for them. The TV media helped Trump get into office with massive coverage and very little criticism, and now they complain about him daily. If they had done their job during the campaign, they would have told the American people the truth. Trump is a demagogue, a fraud.
I'm pretty sure they did that. Unfortunately a lot of people just refused to listen.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

starthrower
Student

Post #7

Post by starthrower »

More people sat home and didn't vote, but I don't know if Hillary would have made the world any safer? But she would've made the office of the presidency less embarrassing. Putin was scared to death of Hillary and the possibility of being driven from power, so I'm sure that's why the Russians worked to influence the election. At least that's what I read in a lengthy article in the Atlantic magazine.

Wootah
Savant

Re: Did Michele Wolf cross a line at the WHCD?

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]

I don't think the Republicans are unhappy with her. She just sent more votes their way. Not enough people are aware how deeply awful the Democrat side is until they see their supporters speaking.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote:
Not enough people are aware how deeply awful the Democrat side is until they see their supporters speaking.
All one has to do is listen to the endless stream of lies The Donald tells to know which side of this debate represents the "awful" as you call it. Of course the fact that we are comparing the morals of what our president has done and continues to do with that of what a comedian said, there isn't much question of where the moral high ground lies.

Oh, and I love his latest effort to make China great again. MCGA!

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 9 by Tcg]

Let's not change topic. More people would have moved closer to a R position after her talk. So in that sense Rs would be grateful to her.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."