Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Can delusions be taught?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

If so, are they still delusions?

Imagine there is an insane person, suffering delusions, with an history of insanity in his family.
For example, he is a violent murderer, known to take long walks and return with claims of seeing obvious hallucinations, burning bushes that are talking, and so on. He comes back with fantastic stories and tables of inconsistent or obvious laws, claiming they are from a god. For example there is only ONE god, but not to worship the others, who are named.

His family has a long history of incest and inbreeding, poor judgment with this god being blamed for their proclamations, such as putting their son on a sacrificial altar.

Now, these people impress themselves on a otherwise norm group of people, and through their personality and conviction, convince them that the madness is true.

Is the scenario possible?
What should we call this impressed or taught madness?
Or should we believe that these individuals, with no subsequent proof except the belief of primitive goat-herders, are actually messengers of god?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Can delusions be taught?

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

Willum wrote: If so, are they still delusions?

Imagine there is an insane person, suffering delusions, with an history of insanity in his family.
For example, he is a violent murderer, known to take long walks and return with claims of seeing obvious hallucinations, burning bushes that are talking, and so on. He comes back with fantastic stories and tables of inconsistent or obvious laws, claiming they are from a god. For example there is only ONE god, but not to worship the others, who are named.

His family has a long history of incest and inbreeding, poor judgment with this god being blamed for their proclamations, such as putting their son on a sacrificial altar.

Now, these people impress themselves on a otherwise norm group of people, and through their personality and conviction, convince them that the madness is true.

Yes. It has happened. Examples include Moses, Jesus, David Koresh, Jim Jones, and Charles Manson. Delusion can be taught.
It's commonly referred to as "religion."
Or should we believe that these individuals, with no subsequent proof except the belief of primitive goat-herders, are actually messengers of god?
What we should do is a matter of opinion, but there are no gods to send messages. People make up their own gods and then claim that they are the mouthpieces of those gods. Again, examples include Moses, Jesus, Joseph Smith, Charles Taze Russell, David Koresh, Jim Jones, and Charles Manson.

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by DPMartin »

Willum wrote: If so, are they still delusions?

the world is flat is a delusion, if everyone believes the world is flat, its still a delusion. and that is amongst sane people. its about who or what is trusted and or believed. hence where one places his faith. and if all those around you do the same. it become a reality to you. but its still a delusion if what is trusted and or believed isn't true.

American schools used to teach all the surface of the earth was formed by glaziers. now with new info about tectonic plates, that wasn't true. therefore a delusion. no matter the intent of the teacher.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 3 by DPMartin]
the world is flat is a delusion...
Believing in a flat earth is a delusion if those who believe it deny good evidence to the contrary.
...if everyone believes the world is flat, its still a delusion.
If there are large numbers of deluded people, then those large numbers makes their delusions no less delusions. To put it another way, the number of cases of delusion has no effect on that delusion being a mental illness. Some people seem to believe that if many people insist on believing something unreal, then that belief is not a delusion. That is an incorrect conclusion. A delusion is still a delusion if one person believes it or if billions do.
...and that is amongst sane people. its about who or what is trusted and or believed. hence where one places his faith. and if all those around you do the same. it become a reality to you. but its still a delusion if what is trusted and or believed isn't true.
The religious seek strength in numbers. They seem to think that if they can interact with other believers, then their beliefs are more credible.

Religion is a delusion and a mental illness, and the fact that it's so common doesn't make it any less a delusion and mental illness.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #5

Post by imhereforyou »

[Replying to post 1 by Willum]

I'm not sure delusions can be taught as it appears a delusion is a personal experience and, as such, can't be shared with others every time.
In other words I can't teach you to see a burning bush that's not consumed (bushes burn all the time, technically). But I can teach the idea of a non-consuming burning bush to you. Rather or not you experience it is up to you.

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by DPMartin »

Jagella wrote: [Replying to post 3 by DPMartin]
the world is flat is a delusion...
Believing in a flat earth is a delusion if those who believe it deny good evidence to the contrary.

doesn't matter what anyone denies, if its believed then its a delusion
...if everyone believes the world is flat, its still a delusion.
If there are large numbers of deluded people, then those large numbers makes their delusions no less delusions. To put it another way, the number of cases of delusion has no effect on that delusion being a mental illness. Some people seem to believe that if many people insist on believing something unreal, then that belief is not a delusion. That is an incorrect conclusion. A delusion is still a delusion if one person believes it or if billions do.
...and that is amongst sane people. its about who or what is trusted and or believed. hence where one places his faith. and if all those around you do the same. it become a reality to you. but its still a delusion if what is trusted and or believed isn't true.
The religious seek strength in numbers. They seem to think that if they can interact with other believers, then their beliefs are more credible.

Religion is a delusion and a mental illness, and the fact that it's so common doesn't make it any less a delusion and mental illness.

did you even read the posting?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

imhereforyou wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Willum]

I'm not sure delusions can be taught as it appears a delusion is a personal experience and, as such, can't be shared with others every time.
In other words I can't teach you to see a burning bush that's not consumed (bushes burn all the time, technically). But I can teach the idea of a non-consuming burning bush to you. Rather or not you experience it is up to you.
A delusion isn't necessarily something that can be seen. For example, the invisible people of the Christian religion constitute a delusion but obviously cannot be seen. So a delusion need not be seen or experienced. It is a false belief that is held despite good evidence to the contrary. Falsehoods can be taught. Just go to Sunday school to find out.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 6 by DPMartin]
doesn't matter what anyone denies, if its believed then its a delusion
It's possible to be mistaken without being deluded. If I get an answer wrong on a test, then I'm merely mistaken rather than deluded. I'm only deluded if you demonstrate to me that the answer is wrong, but I insist on believing the wrong answer. So if I think the earth is flat, and you show me a photo of a spherical earth taken from space, I'm only mistaken if I readily accept your correction. If I reject the correction, then I'd be deluded.
did you even read the posting?
Yes. Is there a problem with what I've posted?

Willum
Savant

Post #9

Post by Willum »

I am going to propose a new word to describe the phenomenon of where something false is taught as true:
Such as one man or family's delusions taught to their people as true.

Suggesting:
A docalum.

A taught falsehood.

Thoughts?
Are there any other words that already mean this?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Jagella »

Willum wrote: I am going to propose a new word to describe the phenomenon of where something false is taught as true:
Such as one man or family's delusions taught to their people as true.

Suggesting:
A docalum.

A taught falsehood.

Thoughts?
Are there any other words that already mean this?
Delusions taught to others might be described as either religion or propaganda.