No
50%

Total votes: 6

Willum
Savant

Does God only exist as a symbol?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

A way to get everyone to agree with the concept of God is to agree that God only exists as a symbol.

There is no physical evidence of God, Jesus or disciples. Yet, like Superman, God has great influence.

If we make the assumption to start that God is only symbol, does this assumption introduce any incongruities or inconsistencies at all?

Or does making this assumption fit all the data for both believers and non-believers alike?

Savant

Re: Does God only exist as a symbol?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: ...
There is no physical evidence of God, Jesus or disciples. Yet, like Superman, God has great influence...
If there is evidence for that Napoleon existed, or for the gravity, then there is also evidence for God.

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 2 by 1213]

Napoleon explains the Napoleonic Wars, Gravity explains why we are stuck to the ground, God explains...
I think the result of the OP on that exact subject was: God explains why vampires are afraid of crucifixes. But we couldn't find anything else God was needed for, or to do.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

WHy does everyone have to agree to the concept of God? Who cares, if some don't?

Willum
Savant

Post #5

Post by Willum »

brianbbs67 wrote: W[h]y does everyone have to agree to the concept of God? Who cares, if some don't?
Obviously, if everyone had a universally agreed-to concept of God, one could have better discussions about it.

God being an allegory or metaphor seems very in-line with most other interpretations of the Bible, and is therefore a reasonable conclusion that perhaps everyone can agree on.
For example, if God were a metaphor for language - being the alpha and the omega, would make God the Alphabet, all things being possible for God, just as any fantasy can be expressed through language, would allow God to be a metaphor for language.
But it is not simply limited to this...

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by Willum]
A way to get everyone to agree with the concept of God is to agree that God only exists as a symbol.
If everyone agreed that GOD is consciousness, that might help a lot.

However, it a fair assessment that such an idea as everybody agreeing together is, perhaps, a fantasy.

Even your idea to agree that GOD is a symbol for something hasn't exactly worked out anyway.

For example, Jesus symbolized GOD as 'A Good Father', but those who prefer to practice evil, found ways in which to distort that symbol to their own ends.

The end result being Christendom - in its many disagreeable factions.

Not to say that this means every individual within Christendom is evil. They are just deceived, which has more to do with ignorance than evil, but is something those with evil intentions find useful.
And to add to that, those who actually practice ignorance, as in willfully would rather remain in ignorance than question the source of their beliefs could be regarded in that light as being practitioners of evil.

And I am sure you can agree, this is not something which is only a problem created through religion. Politics are equally infested, as is culture - and probably every major branch of the social tree of humanity.

What makes religion so despicable in many peoples views is that the symbol for GOD is generally regarded as GOOD, thus all things attributed to GOD which are both obviously and subtlety EVIL, are preferentially criticized, which often overshadows the equally dangerous practices of evil intent exhibited by the political and cultural branches of the social tree of humanity.

People tend to expect liars and cheats to be politicians and lawyers - the world is full of jokes recognizing this propensity, but that is just the way humans are. Once the symbol of the divine is placed into the mix, the idea of a GOOD GOD becomes a scapegoat - something the ignorant or down-right evil pick up and go on about as their official mantra. They live in a world they believe GOD has no business being in.

Indeed, they even argue that if GOD exists and created this universe, GOD must be evil. So - for those who believe this and support it, GOD is their symbol of EVIL.

Go figure!

It is a mixed bag of GOOD and BAD but as I understand it to be TRUE - You cannot change Me, and I cannot change You.

Perhaps more answers will become available in the next exciting installment of reality - if indeed the afterlife is something we will all get to experience eventually.

Meantime, life in the here and now goes on - so Willum, what is YOUR symbol for GOD that you can agree with?

:study:

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Napoleon explains the Napoleonic Wars, Gravity explains why we are stuck to the ground, God explains...
But one could say that Napoleonic wars didn’t happen, because French are peace loving nation that doesn’t go to mindless wars, and especially don’t lose in Waterloo. The whole history can be seen as subjective story and belief.

And we are not stuck to the ground, we can move. Gravity is not any explanation, it is only name for something that is not really well explained, why it happens.

And, God explains why we exist.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
And, God explains why we exist.
No, it doesn't. Your belief in god explains why you believe in god. Given that you can't provide any empirical evidence for god, there is no reason to use it as an excuse for the existence of anything other than your concept of god.

Additionally, are you actually questioning gravity? You doubt gravity?

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

William wrote:
If everyone agreed that GOD is consciousness, that might help a lot.
Not really. We have the perfectly good word, "god" (even though it describes an imaginary being). We also have the perfectly good word, "consciousness.

There is nothing to be gained by confusing either with the other. This confusion helps nothing but adding to the confusion which is apparently important when trying to justify belief that god is anything other than a symbol backed by nothing.

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

[Replying to post 9 by Tcg]
Not really. We have the perfectly good word, "god" (even though it describes an imaginary being). We also have the perfectly good word, "consciousness.

There is nothing to be gained by confusing either with the other. This confusion helps nothing but adding to the confusion which is apparently important when trying to justify belief that god is anything other than a symbol backed by nothing.
I understand what you are saying is that GOD is a symbol to describe an imaginary being. I do not understand your belief that GOD is an imaginary being. What I understand is that - for you - GOD is an imaginary being, and the word GOD is the symbol for that imaginary being.

However, it has to be noted (even that you chose to ignore the context of my whole post), you have provided no evidence which could convince me that GOD is not consciousness, but is simply an imaginary being.

I understand you are convinced (or at least you definitely appear to be) but that in itself provides me no impetus to adopt your beliefs on the matter.

All I see in your post is a declaration that the symbol GOD = 'imaginary being'.

Should anyone be impressed by such declaration?

The OP appears on the surface to be asking for a universal symbol on the matter and my post explains such an expectation is, perhaps, a fantasy.

Your answer appears to be that the universal symbol (GOD) that everyone should adopt is "That which is an imaginary being". That is simply an unrealistic expectation, which is devoid of the recognition of complexity.