Interpretation of scripture

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Interpretation of scripture

Post #1

Post by Willum »

So, in following the debate in The most significant contradiction or inconcistency?, watching the to and fro and the different interpretations, and the "the literal interpretations isn't correct"s, I have reached a conclusion.

The people who wrote the Bible obviously had no conception about what they were writing about.
Even were they exposed to the truth, they still had no clue how to describe it, or even what bits of it were true and actionable.

Is there anything wrong with the assumption that he Apostles and other Biblical writers were unproductive and did not have a clue about what they were writing about?

Willum
Savant

Post #11

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 10 by Checkpoint]

Or, as I repeat, maybe scriptures just don't make any sense at all, which is why all of Judeo-Christianity interprets them differently, even personally, and the rest of the world is skeptical.

You see, anyone can make a one-line statement without backing it up - except my quip IS backed up by the OP.

Please defend yours.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #12

Post by brianbbs67 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 8 by brianbbs67]

The point is that just about every believer believes scripture a different way.
Since this is so, the "some," is just about all, making scripture meaningless, basically.

Basically, if the writers didn't have a clue, it would explain more...
No, I think it describes different levels of understanding or not understanding. Just because another believes differently or discovers(look at that word) what I have not, does not mean either or one of us is wrong or right. Every one discovers different from scripture. Its, probably why we are encouraged to gather and discuss it. To rightly divide and eliminate trips down rabbit holes.

More than once, having thought I had discerned all I could from a scripture, another shows different. The honest search for truth(wisdom) is the first thing in the OT we are told to pray for as it will bring knowledge which will be like a tree of life to us. Producing success and content.

And most importantly, "draw nigh unto Me, and I will draw you nigh."

Willum
Savant

Post #13

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 12 by brianbbs67]

Sorry, 'you think'? Nice, I respect that, but please back it up with something other than your personal position.

You must admit, your thoughts on the subject may not be the truth, and I can not criticize them without breaking forum rules on 'personal attacks.' This kind of statement destroys debate.

Respectfully yours.

Monta
Guru

Post #14

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 12 by brianbbs67]

"No, I think it describes different levels of understanding or not understanding. Just because another believes differently or discovers(look at that word) what I have not, does not mean either or one of us is wrong or right. Every one discovers different from scripture."

How true!
As the Word (divine truth) is infinite, it did and does and will cater to the needs of
a genuine seeker.