A new plane!

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

imhereforyou
Scholar

A new plane!

Post #1

Post by imhereforyou »

Louisiana televangelist Jesse Duplantis says he wants a new jet to serve Jesus Christ. The price tag? About $54 million, and he's asking supporters to donate. Link below.

He's not the only one - many do just type of thing - many citing biblical passages to support their 'need'.

What did God say about this?
What did Jesus say about this?
Can you be a Christian and ask for money from other Christians to buy your jets, Bentleys, Rolls'?
Or does the bible indicate you will be rewarded with riches on earth as well?

Or are all of these preachers/ministers/church leaders charlatans?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... 55b560846f

bjs
Prodigy

Re: A new plane!

Post #2

Post by bjs »

[Replying to post 1 by imhereforyou]

I am curious about the “many� in this setting. Could you give a few examples of preachers asking supporters to donate great wealth to them personally?

I don’t mean pastors who took money meant to go to other parts of the ministry – when that happens the pastors are usually disgraced and fired. And I don’t mean pastor who wrote bestselling books.

I mean, is it true that “many� pastors ask people to give money for the pastor’s luxury?
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

shnarkle
Guru

Post #3

Post by shnarkle »

imhereforyou wrote: Louisiana televangelist Jesse Duplantis says he wants a new jet to serve Jesus Christ. The price tag? About $54 million, and he's asking supporters to donate. Link below.

He's not the only one - many do just type of thing - many citing biblical passages to support their 'need'.

Can you be a Christian and ask for money from other Christians to buy your jets, Bentleys, Rolls'?

They're no worse than any Christian working in a McDonalds for minimum wage. Jesus doesn't draw the line at the type of car one drives or the type of plane one owns. He draws the line at the first cent that sits in the pocket of any would be Christian. Every last cent has to go. That's the price one has to pay in order to be a Christian{Luke 12;14). Anyone who still has anything, is in no position to throw stones. For Jesus it doesn't matter if the stones one throws are base metals or precious diamonds, only those who are in a position to judge are able to in the first place. As it turns out they're not interested in throwing stones. Only those who haven't let go of the treasures of this world are going to care how much some preacher's jet is going to set his congregation back.

Personally, I think it's great. Years ago, I used to watch these televangelists just for laughs and Benny Hinn had a pledge drive going for his new jet. He was buying Kenneth Copeland's old jet, and if you pledged $10k you could have a gold plated plaque with your name displayed in the back of his jet; a $20k donation gave you a gold plaque in the front of his new jet.

Nobody is forcing these people to fork over their money so I don't see any problem with it. If people want to support the lifestyles of the rich and famous faith healers of God, that's their thing. Half of these guys are discovered to be charlatans and their congregations just forgive them and keep writing checks to them.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #4

Post by imhereforyou »

[Replying to post 2 by bjs]

Two is two too many in my opinion, but here are a couple in addition to the one in the article (though that may not equate to many in your opinion, not to mention how one defines 'preacher' or 'church leader'):
Benny Hinn
Ken Copeland
Creflo Dollar
Eddie Long

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #5

Post by imhereforyou »

[Replying to post 3 by shnarkle]
They're no worse than any Christian working in a McDonalds for minimum wage.
A person asking for money from people who may or may not have it to give, for their own personal luxury isn't any worse than someone working at McDonalds?
Nobody is forcing these people to fork over their money so I don't see any problem with it.
True no one is forcing them to give, but they are, many times, being manipulated by those they trust. That's not a bad thing?

shnarkle
Guru

Post #6

Post by shnarkle »

imhereforyou wrote: [Replying to post 3 by shnarkle]
They're no worse than any Christian working in a McDonalds for minimum wage.
A person asking for money from people who may or may not have it to give, for their own personal luxury isn't any worse than someone working at McDonalds?

Yep, that's what I said. The line isn't drawn on how much money one has, but on whether one has money or not. You're drawing the line somewhere after that fact which must then be arbitrary. There's nothing arbitrary about the first cent one works for.
Nobody is forcing these people to fork over their money so I don't see any problem with it.
True no one is forcing them to give, but they are, many times, being manipulated by those they trust. That's not a bad thing?
Not for them, nope. Do you pay taxes? If you do, you do it because you've been manipulated by force. That's a bad thing. When one is being manipulated by someone else, they are a willing participant. It's really no different than being entertained. How many people pay for cable or satelite television? They willingly pay for this crap that anyone with rudimentary critical thinking skills can get for free. They don't want it for free. They want to pay for it. People literally go to stores to buy stuff because it makes them feel good. They're manipulating themselves, and they enjoy being manipulated by others as well. They simply don't care. Fools arent' supposed to hold onto their money. It's one of their defining characteristics.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #7

Post by Elijah John »

imhereforyou wrote: Louisiana televangelist Jesse Duplantis says he wants a new jet to serve Jesus Christ. The price tag? About $54 million, and he's asking supporters to donate. Link below.

This kind of thing is against everything Jesus stood for. Ostentatious materialsm. Using the Gospel as a pretext, preachers like this bilk their followers, and line their own pockets.

What did Jesus say about this kind of thing? "Woe...to the rich" (Luke's version of the parables) Seems the preacher is serving Mammon, not God. Also the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus comes to mind.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #8

Post by brianbbs67 »

shnarkle wrote:

They're no worse than any Christian working in a McDonalds for minimum wage. Jesus doesn't draw the line at the type of car one drives or the type of plane one owns. He draws the line at the first cent that sits in the pocket of any would be Christian. Every last cent has to go. That's the price one has to pay in order to be a Christian{Luke 12;14). Anyone who still has anything, is in no position to throw stones. For Jesus it doesn't matter if the stones one throws are base metals or precious diamonds, only those who are in a position to judge are able to in the first place. As it turns out they're not interested in throwing stones. Only those who haven't let go of the treasures of this world are going to care how much some preacher's jet is going to set his congregation back.

Personally, I think it's great. Years ago, I used to watch these televangelists just for laughs and Benny Hinn had a pledge drive going for his new jet. He was buying Kenneth Copeland's old jet, and if you pledged $10k you could have a gold plated plaque with your name displayed in the back of his jet; a $20k donation gave you a gold plaque in the front of his new jet.

Nobody is forcing these people to fork over their money so I don't see any problem with it. If people want to support the lifestyles of the rich and famous faith healers of God, that's their thing. Half of these guys are discovered to be charlatans and their congregations just forgive them and keep writing checks to them.
Luke 12 says what you say, but it also says:

Your father in heaven knows what you need before you ask and is glad to give it to a follower.

Seek yea first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you. God rewards His chosen.

Way back in Dueteronomy, God tells us if we follow him and His ways, He will heap blessing upon blessing on us. Until we have no place to store all the blessings.

So, I would say, true followers(by God's judgement) should prosper BUT, these mega church preachers seem to go to far. The prophets did well at most times but never stooped to panhandling like so many preachers today do.

shnarkle
Guru

Post #9

Post by shnarkle »

brianbbs67 wrote:
shnarkle wrote:

Luke 12 says what you say, but it also says:

Your father in heaven knows what you need before you ask and is glad to give it to a follower.

Seek yea first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you. God rewards His chosen.
Yep, and the next verse states: " for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." What people fail to understand is that once one discovers the kingdom, they can't get rid of everything they have fast enough. Giving to the poor isn't primarily to benefit the poor, but to clear away the junk in one's life so as to get to the kingdom

One doesn't give up the garbage of this world for the kingdom to then have it all back again. He's pointing out a spiritual axiom. When you get rid of all your junk, a vacuum is created that sucks more into the void which then has to be passed along as well. What happens is that people begin to skim a bit off the top as a sort of commision for all their work. Sometimes they skim more and more because the sheer volume makes what they're skimming look like nothing in comparison. It only looks like a lot if you don't have much. It only looks like a lot when what little one has is being lost. It only looks like a lot when one isn't operating by that spiritual axiom.
Way back in Dueteronomy, God tells us if we follow him and His ways, He will heap blessing upon blessing on us. Until we have no place to store all the blessings.
Exactly!!! Eventually it has to be given away. It becomes a burden to hoard it all. It's pointless. The Mosaic law points out that nature provides us with such abundance, but it can only be recieved when one has emptied themselves.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brianbbs67 wrote: God tells us if we follow him and His ways, He will heap blessing upon blessing on us. Until we have no place to store all the blessings.
And do you believe "blessings" equals "money"? Though a certain minimum of money is necessary to live the Jehovah's Witness view is that blessings are primarily spiritual and that a person can be materially poor but immensly blessed. Jesus is a good example, he wasn't rich and didn't own his own house (or even have his own means of transport) but God heaped blessing upon blessing on him (Jesus).

We don't read the word blessing to be synonymous with money.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8