Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Religion and Money

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house, and thus put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts; see if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you an overflowing blessing.
Malachi 3:10

Needless to say, the claim above is demonstrably false. Just give your tithe to the huckster synagogue or church of your choice, and the only person(s) blessed will be those you give your money to.

Let's just think about the logic here. We have these self-appointed prophets claiming to speak for an all-powerful invisible man in the sky. This invisible man, we are told, created the entire world. He's all-powerful and all-knowing. Yet, for some strange reason he's hard-up for cash. He cannot provide for himself, and like a beggar in the street, he's got his hand out.

How likely is it that such a being would ask for money? Can any invisible-man-in-the-sky believer here offer any good reason to give money to those who say this invisible man wants that money?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Religion and Money

Post #51

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 47 by bluethread]
Where does it say that they were "skewered by Peter"? People fall over and die all of the time. That is why we developed CPR. There is no desperation on my part. I am just going with what is recorded, which, as I stated, you will probably blow off as myth anyway.
What scares me is that anybody would actually believe this. I think it may be how Jim Jones and David Koresh and Jesus gathered their followers.

bluethread
Savant

Post #52

Post by bluethread »

Jagella wrote:
What scares me is that anybody would actually believe this. I think it may be how Jim Jones and David Koresh and Jesus gathered their followers.
What scares you, that people fall over and die? Well, then it should be understandable to you that those who witnessed such a thing would also be scared.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #53

Post by Jagella »

bluethread wrote:
Jagella wrote:
What scares you, that people fall over and die? Well, then it should be understandable to you that those who witnessed such a thing would also be scared.
If I was charged with the murder of Ananias and Sapphira, I would love a jury who would believe my attorney as he tells them: "Mr. Jagella is innocent of these murders. Why--it was mere coincidence that they happened to die in his presence right after he angrily shouted at them--first Ananias and later Sapphira. And no, he never tried to extort any of their valuables. Mr. Jagella was merely upset that they lied to him about what they owned. If they would have just given to him what he expected, then there would have been no trouble at all!"

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #54

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to post 44 by Jagella]
So as we can see, all scripture is important to Christians which includes Malachi 3 and Acts 5.
First, "Acts 5" could not possibly be included in what Paul was telling Timothy at the time, since "Acts" would not have been known about at that point.

Next, you would be correct to include the passage from Malachi. However, just before this passage you refer to in 2 Timothy, in chapter 2, and verse 15, Paul tells Timothy there,
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
With this being the case, Paul was instructing Timothy to" handle the Word accurately", which would mean that the passage in Malachi, could not be used to command Christians to tithe, since this was a command to Israel as a nation, and would not apply to Christians, since there is no temple, and we do not live in a theocracy, as Israel did.

So then while, "all scripture is God breathed", (and Paul could have been only referring to the OT) and would be useful for the things listed, this would include, "handling the Word, with accuracy."
As I see it, those stories teach lessons for posterity.
The problem with this is that you do not carry this sort of logic all the way through. In other words, you have already acknowledged that certain commands could not possibly apply to us. Since this is indeed the case, this means there are others that would not apply as well. However, if one were to handle these things accurately, as Paul taught, it would not be difficult at all to determine, and as I have continually stated, "you would not have these sort of problems with other written letters, but for some reason, when it comes to the Bible, it must be read differently."
Religion needs money all the time, and it must teach people to give that money to it.
I do not know about religion, but Christianity does not need my money. This is why you do not see the Apostles, commanding Christians to give money to the Church, but rather encourages Christians to give to those in need.

What I have just stated above is a fact. "The Apostles never command Christians to give money to the Church." Since this is correct, your idea that Christians are commanded to tithe, is gone out the window.
Stories like that in Acts 5:1-11 "correct" those Christians who disobey the church's demand for goods.
This is simply a refusal to, "handle what is said with accuracy." The passage in Acts 5, has to do with giving to those in need. If you know anything at all about the Bible, then you would know that, many Jews came from all over the world at the time on the "Day of Pentecost." This would have been done for years. However, in this particular year, Jesus had been crucified, and the Apostles were preaching that He was the Messiah to come. With this being the case, many of the Jews from around the world, decided not to go back home, but rather decided to stay in Jerusalem, and follow the Apostle's teaching.

This would mean that many of them would have been without a way in which to support themselves, and it would be because of this that many of the Jews who resided in Jerusalem, voluntary sold some of their possessions, in order to help those who had no means, to support themselves.

Now, it would seem, that if the Apostles were looking for money, then they would have never allowed these folks to stay in Jerusalem, knowing they would have to be supplied for, because as the story here in Acts demonstrates, it took a lot of funds, simply to take care of these folks, which would mean there would not be very much left over, if any for the Apostles.

To demonstrate my above point even further, of how big the problem was of taking care of these folks, and how much of a burden it was, is the fact that later we are told in Acts, that seven men had to be appointed, just to take care of these folks.

With all the above being the case, there is no command at all directed to Christians in the story concerning Ananias and Sapphira. Rather, what we see is those who, sold, and gave their possessions voluntarily, which would be far from a command to, "tithe."
And by the way, the murder of Ananias and Sapphira brings up a very important question. If God worked miracles through Peter, then why was God not able to make sure that Peter had all he needed by miraculously giving him those provisions?
At this point, we are not attempting to figure out, and or determine why God would have done, this or that. In fact, we are not even suggesting that there even is a God, or that the things contained in the Bible are true. Rather, what we have been discussing, is whether the Bible teaches Christians to tithe? Your question would not pertain to this, and would only lead us away from the point.
Finally, you seem to think I don't understand the Bible
It is either that, or you are purposely misreading it for some reason? As far as the, "Christian claims" these can be far different than what the Bible actually has to say. So then, it is very possible that you have been influenced by these faulty Christian claims.

Of course, many Christians claim, that the Bible commands Christians to tithe, which could be the reason for your error. However, as we have seen, you do not have a leg to stand on, and to continue to insist that "Christians are commanded to tithe" would make one no different than the Christians themselves, who misuse the Bible, for their own agenda.

In other words, it would be far better for you, and would shed a better light upon you, to argue against those Christians who use the Bible to command Christians to tithe, (since no such command exists), than to continue to support their faulty teaching, and continue to allow others such as yourself to be scammed.
While I disagree with that personal attack
I really do not understand how telling someone they are in error, is a, "personal attack?"
I can tell you I sure have tried to understand the Bible and Christianity.
This claim is difficult for me to accept, when one continues to insist the Bible teaches certain things, even when it has been demonstrated differently. In other words, if you would stand corrected, it would go a long way in demonstrating the above statement. However, you continue to back those who use the Bible in this way, and insist you must, and have to be right, when I have demonstrated that I am simply reading the texts, exactly as they were written, not adding, nor taking anything away.

In other words, in the passage in Malachi, it is clearly addressed to the, "nation of Israel. This is the way in which it was intended. This is the way I read it. However, you add something to the text, in order for it to say something it does not, and you do the same with, Acts 5.
Could it be that I am confused by it?
Some folks want to confuse things, that are not confusing, in order to protect a certain agenda.

You know like, there may be many Christians who want the teaching concerning tithing to be confusing, when it is not, in order to swiddle folks out of their money. On the other hand, there could be unbelievers who can clearly see that it is not all that confusing, but want to continue to allow it to be confusing, because they believe it supports their agenda.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #55

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to post 51 by Jagella]

What scares me is that anybody would actually believe this.
Do you mean sort of like, when you once believed it yourself? You know, when you accepted the things that you were taught without the use of the mind?

What scares me is the fact that there are actually people out there, who would believe such things as this, and admit that they accepted such things, without the use of the mind.

It also scares me to think that these very same people seem to assume that those who claim to continue to believe such things, must be just as weak minded, as they once admit to being.

In other words, the thinking seems to be, "I was convinced what I believed when I was a Christian, but I found that I was not using the mind. Now that I am using the mind, I am correct, and all those who continue to believe as I once did, must, and have to be as weak minded as I was."

I was sure I was right, when I was wrong, and now I am sure I am right, about being wrong?

Some folks seem sure about a lot of things, only to find out they are sure, that they were wrong about being sure?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #56

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 55 by Realworldjack]
What scares me is the fact that there are actually people out there, who would believe such things as this, and admit that they accepted such things, without the use of the mind.
It should scare you. It scares me! To this day I cringe when I think of the crazy and stupid things I did as a Christian.
It also scares me to think that these very same people seem to assume that those who claim to continue to believe such things, must be just as weak minded, as they once admit to being.

I don't follow your logic. If it was stupid for me to be a Christian, then why isn't it stupid for everybody?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #57

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 54 by Realworldjack]
And by the way, the murder of Ananias and Sapphira brings up a very important question. If God worked miracles through Peter, then why was God not able to make sure that Peter had all he needed by miraculously giving him those provisions?
At this point, we are not attempting to figure out, and or determine why God would have done, this or that.
Well, I'm just trying to get people to think. If Peter, or you, or any other Christian, or Jew, or any other person who claims to speak for an all-powerful invisible man in the sky ask for money, then the logical question to ask is why doesn't the invisible man provide? If people would just see how illogical it is when the clergy beg for money when the clergy say they have pie in the sky, then people should see that they're being scammed.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #58

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to post 56 by Jagella]

To this day I cringe when I think of the crazy and stupid things I did as a Christian.
Yea, I can certainly understand this with one who admits to not using the mind.

As an example, one may be exposed to Pentecostalism, and if they admit to not using the mind, they may be convinced that they have been exposed to exactly what the Bible teaches.

This person could then go on to discover that they have been scammed into believing a lie, but since they are not the type of person who tends to use the mind, as they have readily admitted, they may still be under the impression, that they have rejected, Christianity, when in fact, all they have rejected is, Pentecostalism, but they would not know this, because they admit that they are not the type of person who really thinks through things.
I don't follow your logic. If it was stupid for me to be a Christian, then why isn't it stupid for everybody?
My logic is, you do not KNOW, that is was, "stupid for you to be a Christian", and you can in no way demonstrate that is was, "stupid." Rather, you may believe that it was stupid, and this would simply be your opinion, as opposed to a fact.

You know like, I am a Christian, but I understand that I cannot in any way demonstrate that Christianity is true. Rather, all I can do is to explain what it is I believe, along with why I believe it. This means, unlike you, I am not insisting that I must, and have to be correct, and there is no possibility of error on my part.

The point I am attempting to make is, I am a Christian, but I am not under the impression that anyone who rejects Christianity must, and has to be stupid, because they may indeed have reasons for their unbelief, (if they use the mind), just as I have reasons for what it is I believe.

While you seem to be under the impression that what you believe NOW, is right, with no possibility of error on your part, and those who may disagree, must, and have to be, "stupid."

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #59

Post by Realworldjack »

Jagella wrote: [Replying to post 54 by Realworldjack]
At this point, we are not attempting to figure out, and or determine why God would have done, this or that.
Well, I'm just trying to get people to think. If Peter, or you, or any other Christian, or Jew, or any other person who claims to speak for an all-powerful invisible man in the sky ask for money, then the logical question to ask is why doesn't the invisible man provide? If people would just see how illogical it is when the clergy beg for money when the clergy say they have pie in the sky, then people should see that they're being scammed.

The point is, this is not what we are discussing at this point. You seem to be insisting that Christians are commanded to tithe, while I am insisting there is no such command. I will be glad to take up the discussion above, once we have settled this one. However, when it is demonstrated that Christians are not commanded to tithe, I believe this will settle the question above.

bluethread
Savant

Post #60

Post by bluethread »

Jagella wrote:
bluethread wrote:
Jagella wrote:
If I was charged with the murder of Ananias and Sapphira, I would love a jury who would believe my attorney as he tells them: "Mr. Jagella is innocent of these murders. Why--it was mere coincidence that they happened to die in his presence right after he angrily shouted at them--first Ananias and later Sapphira. And no, he never tried to extort any of their valuables. Mr. Jagella was merely upset that they lied to him about what they owned. If they would have just given to him what he expected, then there would have been no trouble at all!"
Yet another mischaracterization. That is exactly the defense that lawyer would use in this situation, apart from the last sentence and the statement that "he angrily shouted at them". The lawyer would not only not make those statements, but could be disbarred for doing so, because they are mischarcteriztions that is derogatory toward his client. First, there was no expectation by the client regarding what was to be given. Second, the assertion that he "angrily shouted" is not in evidence. Third, there is no empirical evidence of proximate or even ancillary cause. Therefore, those two statements would not be made by the defence attorney. If he were to say anything in that regard, he would note the absence of empirical evidence of a crime.