Should we live by good maxims?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Should we live by good maxims?

Post #1

Post by marco »

We have countless proverbs that give us wise counsel. In his parables Jesus illustrates the same type of wise advice. Is it enough that we do good to others and try to live honourably, without accompanying mantras?

I say this because countless multitudes have, in serving their God, harmed humanity. Surely service to God should never lead to atrocities, since God, the recipient of man's offered service, would surely not allow it to harm his creations. And yet he seems to.

So is God an unnecessary addition to our life of good works? Is the service of mankind preferable to serving a deity?

marco
Savant

Re: Should we live by good maxims?

Post #2

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

We seem to have confirmation in Matthew 25.

39 When did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’ 40 And the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’

We serve God best , perhaps, not by chanting hymns, but by looking after those in need around us.

Monta
Guru

Post #3

Post by Monta »

marco wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

39 When did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’ 40 And the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’

We serve God best , perhaps, not by chanting hymns, but by looking after those in need around us.
Chanting hymns of praise and thanks is form or prayer/communication with God and part of Christian life.
Loving the neighbor with deeds of caring, supporting peace and justice for all people is also Christian life.

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

Monta wrote:

Chanting hymns of praise and thanks is form or prayer/communication with God and part of Christian life.
Loving the neighbor with deeds of caring, supporting peace and justice for all people is also Christian life.

And if the work of mercy achieves favour, as Jesus said, would this suffice without stumbling through Abide with Me and Rock of Ages? The monks had their motto: laborare est orare - to work is to pray. Why not?

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

[Replying to post 4 by marco]

The idea of 'serving GOD' in the manner you suggest is the most effective. Even atheists do this. In that, actions always speak louder than words, and I would go so far as to say that many atheists will be very surprised if, upon dying, they find themselves still very much alive and in the presence of divinity - being 'worthy' on account of their selfless actions in life.

Which is to say that one can 'serve GOD' without even acknowledging any GOD exists. One is best to serve just for the sake of it rather than because one feels one 'has to' because 'GOD said so' or not serve others, because 'GOD didn't say to', etc.

My understanding - based upon my own theology, is that when we serve others, we serve GOD, because we are all aspects of GOD-consciousness and thus loving others is loving GOD.

jgh7

Post #6

Post by jgh7 »

marco wrote: We have countless proverbs that give us wise counsel. In his parables Jesus illustrates the same type of wise advice. Is it enough that we do good to others and try to live honourably, without accompanying mantras?

I say this because countless multitudes have, in serving their God, harmed humanity. Surely service to God should never lead to atrocities, since God, the recipient of man's offered service, would surely not allow it to harm his creations. And yet he seems to.

So is God an unnecessary addition to our life of good works? Is the service of mankind preferable to serving a deity?
If one views God as unnecessary in this life, then perhaps an afterlife with God is unnecessary for that person.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

marco wrote: We have countless proverbs that give us wise counsel. In his parables Jesus illustrates the same type of wise advice.
If anything Jesus said was wise, then I could have figured it out without his telling me. Much of what he said was actually very foolish.
Is it enough that we do good to others and try to live honourably, without accompanying mantras?
Yes. "Mantras" are at best rough guidelines that may or may not apply to given situations. They can be foolish. We need to try to think of the best solutions to moral issues possibly discarding these guidelines if they result in obvious harm.

If you're speaking of the God of the Bible, he often demands that harm be done to people.
So is God an unnecessary addition to our life of good works?

God really has nothing to do with "good works" because he's imaginary. People just put their own words into his mouth. Since those who created the gods pretended to speak for them, religious "morality" is the morality of people who lie. I don't like to take advice from liars.
Is the service of mankind preferable to serving a deity?
As I see it, "serving" people should always come first. To serve a god is to serve the hucksters who created that god.

If seeing the sick and those in prison is so important, then why doesn't Jesus bother with them? He violates his own moral here by not bothering to help people.
Last edited by Jagella on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

marco wrote:
Monta wrote:

And if the work of mercy achieves favour, as Jesus said, would this suffice without stumbling through Abide with Me and Rock of Ages? The monks had their motto: laborare est orare - to work is to pray. Why not?
You cite the hyms as though they are tedious. Another way to view them is that they are love songs to the Deity. They engage the heart, not just the head. At the very least, many are lyrically poetic, and musically quite majectic. They address the love of God with one's heart part of the "love of God and neighbor" imperative.

But Jesus seems to consider "love of neighbor" even more important. After all, he summarizes the "Law and the Prophets" by citing the Golden Rule, which makes no mention of God at all.

In effect, we love God by loving our neighbor.

I like the monk's motto, by the way. To work, to serve humanity is indeed a prayer unto itself.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 3 by Monta]
Great. Now if only some Christian would do that.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

Jagella wrote: [Replying to post 3 by Monta]
Great. Now if only some Christian would do that.
Many do, some don't. Sometimes those who don't are quite loud. But they do not represent the majority of Christians. Actual Christians who actually practice the faith, not those who merely identify as Christians.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.