A civil debate forum for people of all persuasions (Atheists, Agnostics, Deists, Christians, and adherents of any religion)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic
First Post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 pm  ESV vs NKJV, Translation sources, John 7:8 Reply with quote

Of all people I have Jagella to thank for this lol.

In a particular thread he claimed Jesus had lied in John 7:8 when he told his brothers he was not going to the feast of tabernacles and then later secretly did. I had read this before and had also wondered about this.

After googling, I found that the KJV, NKJV, and other translations have the verse worded differently whereas that ESV and NIV leave a particular key word out of it:

NIV
You go to the festival. I am not going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.ā€

ESV
You go up to the feast. I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come.ā€

KJV
Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast: for my time is not yet full come.

NKJV
You go up to this feast. I am not yet going up to this feast, for My time has not yet fully come.

HCSB
Go up to the festival yourselves. Iā€™m not going up to the festival yet, because My time has not yet fully come.

----------

As you can see, some translations (ESV and NIV) have Jesus saying he's not going to the feast while others say he's not yet going to the feast. To me, this makes a huge difference. I think the reason some translations like ESV and NIV omit "yet" while others like KJV, NKJV, HCSB have it is because the prior use the Alexandrain/Egyptian translations while the latter use the Majority Text translations. I am very new to studying translation sources though.

My questions:
What are people's opinions about the two translation sources? Are there other serious differences between the two that might make you favor one over the other? Right now I'm seriously considering switching to the NKJV or HCSB from the ESV. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 11: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:10 am

Like this post
Overcomer wrote:

It's your church, the Jehovah's Witnesses, that altered the Bible to make it fit their bogus theology.

That's quite an accusation, would you care to give an example?

JW

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 12: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:13 pm

Like this post (1): JehovahsWitness
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Overcomer wrote:

It's your church, the Jehovah's Witnesses, that altered the Bible to make it fit their bogus theology.

That's quite an accusation, would you care to give an example?

JW

I tried to get comments on NWT 'alterations' here:

https://www.religiousforums.com/threads/where-does-the-nwt-bible-falsify.223288/

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 13: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:56 pm
Re: ESV vs NKJV, Translation sources, John 7:8

Like this post
[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

jgh7 wrote:
My questions:
What are people's opinions about the two translation sources? Are there other serious differences between the two that might make you favor one over the other? Right now I'm seriously considering switching to the NKJV or HCSB from the ESV. What are your thoughts on the matter?

I believe all trust in such things is under the context of "believing in your own understanding" whether trusting someone else who is better at language or in your own scholarship...Prove 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.

Only the Holy Spirit has that which you are seeking...Seek HIM first, not scholarship: 1 Chronicles 22:19 Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the LORD your God. and HE will come into you and fill you with good food.

Goto top, bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter