God and laws of the universe

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

God and laws of the universe

Post #1

Post by Donray »

Does god need to obey the laws of the universe? Can he travel faster then light? Jesus had a human body could he travel faster than light?

bluethread
Savant

Re: God and laws of the universe

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

Donray wrote: Does god need to obey the laws of the universe? Can he travel faster then light? Jesus had a human body could he travel faster than light?
Are we just talking about the "known" universe, the theoritical universe, or the universe of all things, including those things that are beyond our understanding.

jgh7

Post #3

Post by jgh7 »

[Replying to post 1 by Donray]

If one accepts him as the creator, then he created the laws. Laws were defied throughout the miracles of the bible so I wouldn't be surprised if God could travel faster than the speed of light, same for Jesus in human body. He multiplied 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish into enough to feed five thousand. That's a lot of matter creation right there.

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

jgh7 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Donray]

If one accepts him as the creator, then he created the laws. Laws were defied throughout the miracles of the bible so I wouldn't be surprised if God could travel faster than the speed of light, same for Jesus in human body. He multiplied 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish into enough to feed five thousand. That's a lot of matter creation right there.
This is not the S&R thread, so I don't intend on taking this into that direction, but it didn't have to be matter creation. There are many ways for that to have happened. It could have been gathered out of "thin air" as they say. We are aware that air is not nothingness, these days.

jgh7

Post #5

Post by jgh7 »

bluethread wrote:
jgh7 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Donray]

This is not the S&R thread, so I don't intend on taking this into that direction, but it didn't have to be matter creation. There are many ways for that to have happened. It could have been gathered out of "thin air" as they say. We are aware that air is not nothingness, these days.
It's not my intention to be super scientific either. My answer is simply yes.

Donray
Guru

Post #6

Post by Donray »

Could some one please point to the bible where it says god can change the physicals laws of the universe.

jgh7

Post #7

Post by jgh7 »

[Replying to post 6 by Donray]

What exactly do you mean? Is turning water to wine (John 2:1-11) changing the physical laws, or walking on water (Matthew 14:25)?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Donray wrote: Could some one please point to the bible where it says god can change the physicals laws of the universe.
I don't think there is a scripture with the words "God can change physical laws of the univerese" in it. In fact I don't know that there is a scripture with the expression "physical laws of the universe" in it.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

steveb1
Scholar

Post #9

Post by steveb1 »

Donray wrote: Does god need to obey the laws of the universe? Can he travel faster then light? Jesus had a human body could he travel faster than light?
I conceptualize God as a non-material Spirit, and while I believe that God is real, I deny that God is a creator or intervener in a cosmos "He" never produced in the first place.

So, with those factors in mind, I doubt that earth-bound terms and ideas like speed, movement, time, and power over physical things and processes can validly be applied to God. So God can't go faster than the speed of light because God is not a physical object that can travel as a physical "bit" in a material universe. God is not bound by physical "laws" because God is not physical to begin with.

I am a recent fan of the Christ Myth theory, so I doubt - but can't say for certain - that the historical Jesus ever existed. But if he was, after all, physically present on earth, the Gospels do not impute any super-than-light attributes to his human body. However, post-Resurrection, the Gospels say that he had a "new" kind of body, which could pass through solid objects, vanish/reappear at will, and ascend into the sky on a cloud. However, the Gospels were written in ignorance of science in any modern sense. So their authors would not have been able to conceive of a "faster than the speed of light" category, and all that it entails.

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by DPMartin »

God keeps His Word. If He gives His Word He will not go back on it, though He doesn't have to do that either, but there's nothing in or of creation He must obey.