Is the Bible the inerrant Word of God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Is the Bible the inerrant Word of God?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

For those who claim that the Bible is the "inerrant Word of God" why do you believe this?

Seems to me the arguments to support this belief are usually circular. As in "The Bible is inerrant because it is the Word of God". And evidence that the Bible is the Word of God?" Because the Bible is without error or contradiction", i.e. inerrant.

Consider this OP a challenge. Give the skeptic a better argument to convince them that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God than the usual circular argument.

Why do you believe and why should the skeptic believe that the Bible is the "inerrant Word of God"?

Break out of the circle.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

If you cannot prove it..

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

If you cannot make your case that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God without using circular reasoning, how can you be so comfortable telling others that they will be tortured forever in hell for not believing?

-YHVH is LORD

Savant

Re: Is the Bible the inerrant Word of God?

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Elijah John wrote: For those who claim that the Bible is the "inerrant Word of God" why do you believe this?
I believe that because I have not seen any real error in the Bible till this point. Problems usually are in the interpretation and peoples own ideas, not in the Bible.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #4

Post by Overcomer »

I have seen different people define inerrancy in different ways. What definition are you working with, EJ?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by ttruscott »

It is inerrant because it inerrantly says everything GOD wants it to say to achieve HIS purpose of the redemption of HIS sinful elect, the sinful people of the kingdom.

As for convincing the skeptic, ummmm, no. There is no proof on this earth, just faith which is a hope without proof by which Christians live. And if proof IS given so that none has an excuse then they will repress / suppress the memory of that proof because they love their sinfulness more.

It is not our job or even ability to do as you ask. If the sinful believers seek, they will find. If they hear the knock, and open, He will enter. The eternally evil people of the evil one who are condemned already are outside of this expression of HIS grace and mercy.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 4 by ttruscott]

First, I am a Christian. Having said that, I cannot sympathize with any of your statements. Let's take them one by one:
It is inerrant because it inerrantly says everything GOD wants it to say to achieve HIS purpose of the redemption of HIS sinful elect, the sinful people of the kingdom.

This is an assertion, not an argument. Surely you read the OP? The question is why should one accept it as the inerrant Word of God; it was not asking what "inerrant Word of God" means.

As for convincing the skeptic, ummmm, no. There is no proof on this earth, just faith which is a hope without proof by which Christians live.
Do you espouse "blind faith", that is, belief without evidence or rationality? Suppose a man were deliberating between religions: you tell him to accept Christianity, but a Muslim comes to him and offers him Islam. He wants to know why he should choose one and not the other. What do you say to him?
And if proof IS given so that none has an excuse then they will repress / suppress the memory of that proof because they love their sinfulness more.
Goodness!! You just said "there is no proof...", and now you are theorizing about what sinners would do with this non-existent proof?! This is quite muddled.
It is not our job or even ability to do as you ask. If the sinful believers seek, they will find.
I don't know what you mean by "sinful believer" seeking. If he is a believer, has he not already found? And what if what he is seeking is a rational reason to believe?

Let me say at once that I believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and I find your position and argumentation quite befuddled. Perhaps you could preach less and argue more? And if that is not your interest, may I ask why you are on a "Debating Christianity" forum; key word, "Debating"?
Last edited by liamconnor on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #7

Post by Elijah John »

Overcomer wrote: I have seen different people define inerrancy in different ways. What definition are you working with, EJ?
Good question. I would say that inerrancy means there are no internal contradictions, between books or within the same book. No contradictions to what we know of scienctific, physical reality. No theological or moral contradictions. No failed prophecies, etc.

-YHVH is LORD

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 4 by ttruscott]

First, I am a Christian. Having said that, I cannot sympathize with any of your statements. Let's take them one by one:

This is an assertion, not an argument.
That's becasue I was making an assertion, not an argument.
As for convincing the skeptic, ummmm, no. There is no proof on this earth, just faith which is a hope without proof by which Christians live.
Do you espouse "blind faith", that is, belief without evidence or rationality?
No because I have lots of evidence for my faith, I just have no proof and, as a lot of Christians say, no proof ≠ no evidence.
Suppose a man were deliberating between religions: you tell him to accept Christianity, but a Muslim comes to him and offers him Islam. He wants to know why he should choose one and not the other. What do you say to him?[ /quote] I'd say seek all HE want s and trust that the one who answers is his God.
And if proof IS given so that none has an excuse then they will repress / suppress the memory of that proof because they love their sinfulness more.
Goodness!! You just said "there is no proof...", and now you are theorizing about what sinners would do with this non-existent proof?! This is quite muddled.
Rom 1:20 I guess my bible study has paid off, eh?

These next questions actually look interesting. It is too late here to think..tomorrow, manyanna.

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

ttruscott wrote: Suppose a man were deliberating between religions: you tell him to accept Christianity, but a Muslim comes to him and offers him Islam. He wants to know why he should choose one and not the other. What do you say to him?[ /quote] I'd say seek all HE want s and trust that the one who answers is his God.
How does this favor Christianity and not Islam? Are you suggesting for the seeker to "ask Allah" then "ask the Trinity" Or Jesus?

And the one who answers is their God? Sounds like a variation of Elijah vs the priests of Baal.

What about the possibility that the God of Islam, and the God of Christiainity is actually the same God? After all, God is one, right?

And Islam condemns idolatry as well. It is not a pagan religion, but an Abrahamic one.

-YHVH is LORD

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote:
ttruscott wrote: Suppose a man were deliberating between religions: you tell him to accept Christianity, but a Muslim comes to him and offers him Islam. He wants to know why he should choose one and not the other. What do you say to him?[ /quote] I'd say seek all HE want s and trust that the one who answers is his God.
How does this favor Christianity and not Islam? Are you suggesting for the seeker to "ask Allah" then "ask the Trinity" Or Jesus?

And the one who answers is their God? Sounds like a variation of Elijah vs the priests of Baal.

What about the possibility that the God of Islam, and the God of Christiainity is actually the same God? After all, God is one, right?

And Islam condemns idolatry as well. It is not a pagan religion, but an Abrahamic one.
I accept the predeterminism of our lives to bring us to the fate we chose when we still had a free will not overwhelmed by the addiction of evil.

It is GOD's job to fulfill HIS promise of salvation in HIS sinful elect. Our job is only to tell the sinful elect the the gospel and to live the best we can as we mature as a witness to HIM. Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you....in accordance to your previous free will choices to be under this promise or outside of it since it is not universal in coverage.

Everyone will perfectly remember their chosen eternal relationship with HIM before the Great White Throne. The answers to your questions have no meaning in this context.