The Creation Account, Another Look

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

101G
Apprentice

The Creation Account, Another Look

Post #1

Post by 101G »

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Genesis 1:2 "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Let's discuss these two verses for starters. let's zero in on verse 2.

#1. Earth was a water ????????? do we really say planet? my question is, was earth a planet, as we define a planet, or not in the beginning. for the scripture stated, "WITHOUT FORM". so do we really identify earth as a planet in this beginning stage of development?

my second question, "was the sun actually shining, or was it even form yet. scripture stated, it was dark, no sunlight?. I have hear some scientist say the sun was formed but not yet shining, others, the sun formed but it was a thick cloud around the earth where no sunlight could penetrate to the surface.

for a general discussion we will start right at the beginning, with EARTH. I would like to hear the scientific side as well if any religious point of view.

thanks for your responses in advance.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Re: The Creation Account, Another Look

Post #2

Post by DrNoGods »

In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

101G
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by 101G »

[Replying to post 2 by DrNoGods]

thanks for those links, but I'm familiar with articles of such, but lets speak on Volatilization, since we're dealing with a water, and how the dry land appeared from this
Firmament above and below the water of the deep. and what and how the core of this world play a part in our planet development.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #4

Post by Bust Nak »

101G wrote: so do we really identify earth as a planet in this beginning stage of development?
I would use the term protoplanet for the earliest stages.
my second question, "was the sun actually shining, or was it even form yet.
The sun has formed and is giving out visible light long before the formation of the planet. Whether you want to call it "shining" is debatable.

101G
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by 101G »

[Replying to post 4 by Bust Nak]

I like that answer, this seem to be the beginning of a GOOD discussion.

now to the sun shining or not. what view do you hold to the Evening and morning = a Day.

I would like to hear your opinion on that.

101G
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by 101G »

The reason why I asked the question if the sun was shining or not. and the morning and evening =a day.

if the sun was shining, and a morning and an evening = a day, this will be in contrasts of a Solar day vs a Generation/creation DAY according to chapter 2 verse 4.

also if the our protoplanet was still developing did it have rotation which consist of a 24hr solar day.

Neatras
Guru

Post #7

Post by Neatras »

The Earth's rotation has slowed down at a marginal rate. Some 600 million years ago, estimations put the "day" at 21 hours apiece.

Earth's Rotational Change over time

At the time the Earth formed, it would be subjectively optional, but not very helpful to describe the sun as "shining" because of the lack of atmosphere. It would appear to be a bright orb in the black sky emitting painfully large amounts of radiation. It's a good thing life didn't exist then, because that would've sucked. Without any Rayleigh scattering effects of water molecules in the air, there would be no tint. Though I guess during the time when carbon dioxide, perhaps some sulfuric gas, and a bit of nitrates were floating around in abundance, the color palette would look marvelous. At best, we can extrapolate based on what we see of our surrounding planets; Mars and Venus, due in part to their difference in orbit, receive different amounts of solar energy. In a way, you could say that Venus' atmospheric development is "slowed" compared to Earth's because it has not cooled as quickly. Likewise, Mars could be said to have a "faster" atmospheric development, because it cooled so quickly that its atmosphere was stripped away and all liquid water became solid ice.

At about 4.1 billion years (going by what's stated here), the Earth attained a viable atmosphere capable of trapping water.

Discussions on how the Earth's magnetic field helped to retain an atmosphere that resisted solar winds could be very enlightening, but the physics involved is complex enough that we need more time/data/computing power to make definitive statements. It's a work in progress.

Earth's magnetic field

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #8

Post by Bust Nak »

101G wrote: now to the sun shining or not. what view do you hold to the Evening and morning = a Day.

I would like to hear your opinion on that.
I prefer to start counting a new day form morning, it is more intuitive to focus on the beginning as when we wake up, rather than think about when the current day ending when we go to bed; but since we are talking about the formation of the planet long before we are here to count days, I say lets go with 24 hours as defined by convention regardless of sun.

101G
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by 101G »

[Replying to post 7 by Neatras]

thanks for that information. not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this.

2 Peter 3:5 "For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water

Now this scriptures,

Genesis 1:7 "And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

Genesis 1:8 "And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Genesis 1:9 "And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

what is interesting to me is this word Firmament, and the word "gather together".
Firmament: H7549 רָקִיַע raqiya` (raw-kee'-ah) n-m.
1. (properly) an expanse, i.e. the firmament.
2. (apparently) the visible arch of the sky.
[from H7554]
KJV: firmament.

But the root word is interesting and revealing, listen.
H7554 רָקַע raqa` (raw-kah') v.
1. to pound the earth (as a sign of passion).
2. (by analogy) to expand (by hammering).
3. (by implication) to overlay (with thin sheets of metal).
[a primitive root]
KJV: beat, make broad, spread abroad (forth, over, out, into plates), stamp, stretch.

In definition #1 and #2 above, to pound or by hammer the earth is like impact which is another word for pound and bombard. This is exactly what sciences is saying today as to the forming of the Earth, the impact theory. And here we have scripture saying the same thing

The dust and debris contained in the water that was frozen in let's say the impact rocks is now released in the friction of the impact or the bombardment of these frozen rocks of water. this may answer the question "Much of Earth's Water Is Older Than the Sun".
https://www.space.com/27256-earth-water ... n-sun.html

this is where i believe Volatilization comes into play. here is a link to a good article on this. https://www.accessscience.com/content/v ... ion/735000

this could be your "large amounts of radiation". and the "carbon dioxide release", that you mention in your post.

the bible is telling the same story. with the continued impacts, heat is generated immensely.

so I believe we're on the right track.

101G
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by 101G »

[Replying to post 8 by Bust Nak]

Thanks for your response. intuitive, ok, I can agree with that. but consider this. what if a
creation day is defined by night, first, then morning last as a metaphorically reference to the different ecosystems on Earth that we have today. evening is the BUILDING of these systems from things INVISIBLE, Evening, = darkness not seen, into the visible, = Morning system we seen and live in today. supportive scripture, Romans 1:20 "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse".

again the bible seem to be saying the same thing.