Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

The Changing Face of All-Mighty God

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

I'd like to briefly discuss three different views of the Christian God: TIMITS, THEBFRAW, and GASANA and how popular these views may be.

The earliest and most traditional of these views of the Christian God is that of The Invisible Man In The Sky or “TIMITS.� TIMITS is based in many Bible stories as chronicled in both Old and New Testaments, and it is easy to establish TIMITS' various traits by citing scripture. His invisibility is spelled out in passages like Romans 1:20, Colossians 1:15, and 1 Timothy 1:17.

TIMITS is also very much a man. After all, Jesus was a man as we are told in 1 Timothy 2:5, and Jesus was also God as stated in John 1:1. So so far we see that the Bible God is an invisible man.

TIMITS is also described as a god in the sky. For example, we read in 2 Kings 1 that Elijah called down fire from TIMITS to burn to death his enemies, and this “divine fire� came out of the sky. In addition, Moses met TIMITS way up on the summit of Mount Sinai (Exodus 19:20) which was a place in the sky. Finally, we are told in Mark 16:19 that when Jesus ascended to God, Jesus went into the sky.

Now, the TIMITS view of God is still popular today, and it is important to understand that TIMITS is not strictly speaking invisible. Occasionally he will reveal himself among the clouds to be gleefully photographed by his followers and the photos posted on FaceBook.

That said, the TIMITS view of God has recently fallen on hard times. Seeing God as TIMITS suffers from various difficulties. TIMITS might be seen as unsophisticated, anthropomorphic, easy to ridicule, and too easily falsified. For example, Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space, has been famously misquoted as saying he didn't see God “in space.�

To counter such Godless-commie cosmonauts and other skeptics who are blind to TIMITS, Christian apologists and theologians have updated and replaced the TIMITS view of God with THE Being FRom Another World or “THEBFRAW.� THEBRAW is literally “God—lost in space.� You cannot find him in the sky or in space, so any such objections of not discovering THEBFRAW there are irrelevant. Since THEBFRAW is said to exist in another world, Christians can readily explain away objections that he is not detectable. Tucked away in that other world, THEBFRAW is difficult or impossible to falsify. He can also be employed as an explanation for the existence of the cosmos and to have “fine-tuned� it, and for this reason THEBFRAW is popular with apologists like William Lane Craig and Frank Turik. It should be noted that THEBFRAW does exist in this world as well as his other world, but in this world THEBFRAW, like TIMITS, is normally invisible.

So what does the future hold for these evolving views of God? I suspect that if we some day start to live in space, we may need to come up with a view of God that is not geocentric but space-based. Some of us may adopt a God AS AN Alien, or “GASANA.� GASANA has the advantage of seeming to be more modern and less sectarian than either TIMITS or THEBFRAW. Many people may find aliens to be easier to imagine than gods, the aliens being physical and a product of the physical world. However, many other people might find GASANA to be too limiting because aliens are presumably limited and mortal.

So what view of God do you hold to?

Savant

Re: The Changing Face of All-Mighty God

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: … and Jesus was also God as stated in John 1:1. So so far we see that the Bible God is an invisible man. ..
… You cannot find him in the sky or in space, so any such objections of not discovering THEBFRAW there are irrelevant. …
…So what view of God do you hold to?
John 1:1 says:
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

It doesn’t really say Jesus is the God. And the one and only true God is not a man, as said in this:

“God is not a man…�
Num. 23:19

According to the Bible, the one and only true God is spirit and love.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

Spiritual things are higher than earthly things, including space. It is like other dimension.

Reason why Jesus and some others are called God on earth is this:

Most assuredly I tell you, he who receives whomever I send, receives me; and he who receives me, receives him who sent me."
John 13:20

On basis of that, it could be said if you receive me, you receive God. But still, I am not the only true God. I would only be messenger of God, similarly as Jesus is the mediator between God and men.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

And Bible also tells Jesus is the image of God.

in whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins; who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
Colossians 1:14

So, I think the concept you wrote is not very Biblical and I believe what the Bible tells.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 2 by 1213]

It sounds like you believe in THEBFRAW. Note that modern theologians don't describe THEBFRAW as a man but as a "being." With THEBFRAW, you don't need to believe Jesus is God, and you can ignore any Bible passages that imply that he's God. However, most theologians nowadays believe Jesus is both God and a man, but they don't normally come right out and say that God is a man because many people might object to God being a man.

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

Jagella wrote: So what view of God do you hold to?
I am not in favour of acronyms; they reduce discussion to fun without depth.

In mathematics we can happily leave the real and allow the imaginary to solve our real problems, such as in simple harmonic motion equations. Because the imaginary demonstrably does what we want it too, it is accepted.

God for many solves problems of loose ends though he's hopeless in practical situations, like saving children who are about to be murdered. He may well be deaf and blind, poor soul, as a consequence of his colossal primal labours.

The modern version of God, all encompassing and part of the Himalayas and the Sea of Tranquility, doesn't terrify. The Abrahamic god is an embarrassment for much of his biography. It would be nice to think that a just, intelligent being with a first class sense of humour exists and smiles on our formic speculations and perhaps on those acronyms.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 4 by marco]
The Abrahamic god is an embarrassment for much of his biography. It would be nice to think that a just, intelligent being with a first class sense of humour exists and smiles on our formic speculations and perhaps on those acronyms.
The Abrahamic god is TIMITS. Yes, TIMITS is an embarrassment for many Christians, and like I've posted in the OP, that's why some "sophisticated" Christians have replaced TIMITS with THEBFRAW. It seems that as time progresses, the view of God becomes ever more abstract and farther away in space and time. This "changing face of all-mighty God" is no doubt a response to our learning more about the science and history of the world. God just doesn't seem to be where we used to believe he was, and so many of us keep pushing him into places we have yet to fully explore hoping that we will find him in those places some day.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

So what view of God do you hold to?

Interesting Q.

I would say my theology embraces all of the above, but sees these as aspects of GOD (the ALL MIGHTY - as you referred to It in the thread title) and these 'faces' of GOD are like facets of a cut gem.

I think 'GOD in the sky' is too similar to 'GOD the Alien species' due to the fact that sky and space are so closely related, as is earth, the galaxy and the whole universe.

The inter-dimensional GOD(from another universe/alternate reality) is also acceptable as part of the overall TOG (Theory of GOD), but in that I see little difference in the 'Sky -Alien Idea of GOD' (SKAIOG) and the ALTREALIOG (Alternative Reality Idea of GOD) as it may be that Aliens able to do God-like things will be very advanced and in that would likely be able to interact with alternate realities and may even enjoy the ability of perpetually being able to bouce between worlds...which is to say, if that was the case, then what differences is there from SKAIOG and ALTREALIOG?

Not many - if any. Which is another reason I understand these are facets of the overall gem GOD (GG).

I call this GEMGOD "First Source" (FS) to denote that all other GOD-facets derive from the One Source. Indeed - All That Is (ATI) derives from the One Source.

It is probably worth noting that the FS is proberbly not strictly a 'GOD' in the sense of what religions often proclaim a GOD to be...a being which requires worship - because before other beings were created, what worshiped the FS? Yet the FS is more 'GOD' than any other GOD, and thus the more worshipers one has, the less like GOD the FS you would become.

Of course, the idea of GOD requiring worship is human enough, and does not necessarily mean that actual GODs are even a little bit interested in that.

I have quoted this recently but I like it so much for what it conveys that it is worth doing so again.

[font=Comic Sans MS]Worship of me in coin or moral consideration is unnecessary. Simply express your authentic feelings of appreciation to my inmost presence within you and others, and you broadcast your worship unfailingly into my realm.
This is the feeling that you should seek to preserve in the face of life’s distractions. This is the revelation of my heart to your heart. Live in clarity. Live in purpose. Live in the knowledge that you are in me and I am in you, and that there is no place separate from our heart.[/font]
~ Excerpt from Chamber 23—One of three written elements from the body of work known as the WingMakers, ascribed to First Source.

(Which reminds me of this thread here.) Honoring this Incarnation

What is conveyed is that if one thinks it necessary to 'worship' a 'GOD' the above is the best way yet I have ever read as to how such a thing is best done. Perhaps that is what Jesus meant by 'Worshiping GOD in Spirit and in Truth'?

Also - since you mentioned 'face of GOD' in the thread title, here is another interesting piece of information from the same source, to do with that very thing.

Quoted from WingMakers Glossary of Terms
[font=Comic Sans MS]First Source has many lower faces. These faces are often thought to be God
Itself, but Gods are only a dimensional aspect of First Source and there are many
faces of God as well. The Hierarchy has made this manifest, not First Source. First
Source is not beholden to any law nor does IT operate in conjunction with any other
force or power. IT is truly sovereign and ubiquitous simultaneously, and thus,
Unique. IT is not hidden or wary of life in any way. IT simply is Unique, and
therefore, incomprehensible except through the vibration encoded within all life.
The other faces of God have been created so the human instrument can fathom
First Source and crystallize an image of this Unique Being sufficient to progress
through the Hierarchy and access the Sovereign Integral perspective. Nevertheless,
what you hold as God, is not First Source, but a facet of First Source developed by
the Hierarchy as a comprehensible interpretation of First Source. We must tell you
that these “interpretations� have been exceedingly inadequate in their portrayal.[/font]
~ ©2000 Wingmakers LLC, All Rights Reserved

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 6 by William]

Thanks for the response.

Maybe you missed it, but the implied point of my OP is to demonstrate that Gods are the product of the human mind. We created the Christian God, and we continue to recreate him as time goes by and we feel a need to change him to fit current circumstances and knowledge. For example, cosmologists have very robust evidence for the Big Bang. A literal interpretation of Genesis is no longer intellectually respectable. As a result, the creation myth in Genesis 1 has been reinterpreted by many Christians to fit the Big Bang Theory. So now we have a Christian God who took billions of years to create the cosmos we know today rather than six 24-hour days or an indefinite period of time.

Change also applies to Jesus. We now see him as a gentle and loving family man who taught harmony among people to maintain a strong, stable society. He's even become an abolitionist and a feminist as well as an advocate of civil rights. I wouldn't be too surprised if soon Jesus is transformed into an advocate for the rights of gays and lesbians. This modern Jesus is a far cry from the traditional view of a radical Jesus who was preparing his followers for an imminent apocalypse in which he and his angry father would destroy the world as we know it casting unrepentant sinners into a lake of fire--although this view is still popular with many Christians.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to post 7 by Jagella]

No I did not miss it and nor do I miss the opportunity to point out that Christianity isn't the last word on 'Who and What GOD is' because this tends toward those against Christianity particularly to use that as a means of arguing against the existence of GOD 'because' of the Abrahamic idea of GOD.

Also, your argument re Christianity evolving and the image of Jesus changing is not such a bad thing to be happening and quite natural for that.

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

GASANA, as you point out, is too limiting because Aliens are just animals.

TIMITS is definitely on the comeback. Just watch Jordan Peterson to see that is true.

THEBFRAW and TIMITS seem the same to me.

I hold to the view that God IS the treasure where your heart is.

You have to be fair to all the players. What I mean is that once upon a time for many people God was in a rock or a tree or a statue. These idols are clearly false however our descriptions shouldn't preclude them. So each of us has a god and Jesus aptly suggested a way of working out what our god is.

From this view, one's god may be nearer than you propose.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 9 by Wootah]
THEBFRAW and TIMITS seem the same to me.
The views of God tend to be poorly defined. I think that the differences between these views tend to be based on focus more than substance. Theologians and apologists nowadays focus on God as a being who is remote in space and time. The result is THEBRAW, a God they examine as existing and acting from another "world." By contrast, TIMITS is understood as existing and acting essentially in the same world we live in. He is in the sky much like a cloud is in the sky, and he acts from the sky.

Another way to see the contrast between TIMITS and THEBFRAW is sheer size. TIMITS is at most the size of the earth and the "heavens" that enclose it. THEBFRAW is literally of cosmic proportions ruling over not just the system of the earth and the closest celestial bodies but of the entire cosmos including the farthest galaxies and quasars.

The age of the cosmos is also a difference between TIMITS and THEBFRAW. The world created by TIMITS is perhaps only a few thousand years old while the vast cosmos created by THEBFRAW is billions of years old.