For Non-trinitarians: Who is Jesus

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

For Non-trinitarians: Who is Jesus

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

There have been tons of debates against the trinity, but I only just realized that I don't even know where non-trinitarians stand on who Jesus is. It's pretty simple on the trinitarian side, only one option: Jesus is God. But for non-trinitarians who don't believe Jesus is God, there are numerous options. In another thread someone interpreted him as an archangel which I had never heard before. And then I just got to wondering how many other non-trinitarian interpretations there are.

If you're a non-trinitarian, what are your beliefs about Jesus? Was he only a man? Was he an angel? Was he somewhere in between man and angel? Maybe somewhere in between angel and God? Is he all-knowing and all-powerful? Did he exist from the very beginning? What does it mean for him to be God's son, is that any more special than the angels and us being sons of God? Basically give me your best description, not so much of who Jesus is, but more along the lines of what Jesus is if that makes sense to you.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #21

Post by dio9 »

Jesus is God as the rest of us are GOD, only he is more God than the rest of us. Everything and everyone in their original self is sacred.
What is this thing called the original self you may ask. For us Christians it is the nature of Adam before the fall.

EBA
Apprentice

Re: For Non-trinitarians: Who is Jesus

Post #22

Post by EBA »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
EBA wrote:
jgh7 wrote: There have been tons of debates against the trinity, but I only just realized that I don't even know where non-trinitarians stand on who Jesus is.
Jesus Christ is .,. our Father.

Peace
So is Jesus God, the father?
No, Jesus is not "God the Father."

He is a Father and I would hope you believe he is your Father; I believe he is mine.

Peace.

EBA
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by EBA »

2timothy316 wrote:
EBA wrote:
jgh7 wrote: There have been tons of debates against the trinity, but I only just realized that I don't even know where non-trinitarians stand on who Jesus is.
Jesus Christ is "EVERYTHING" except "The Father."

And yes, he is God and he is our Father.

Peace
Wait....let's put this in the form of math equation.
∀ = Jesus
Jesus ≠ Father
Jesus = God
Jesus = Father

The statement is an impossibility. Jesus can't both be 'not Father' and be 'Father'.
Your equation is full of deceit.

It should read:

∀ = Jesus
Jesus ≠ “The Father�

Although I would suggest Jesus ≤ “the Father.�

Jesus = God
Jesus = our Father

That would be more in line with my statement and maybe not so impossible.

What do you think?

Peace.

otseng
Savant

Post #24

Post by otseng »

EBA wrote:Your equation is full of deceit.
Moderator Comment

It's best not to describe a post as full of deceit. It implies the poster is intentionally lying. Simply say the equation is incorrect.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by polonius »

jgh7 wrote: There have been tons of debates against the trinity, but I only just realized that I don't even know where non-trinitarians stand on who Jesus is. It's pretty simple on the trinitarian side, only one option: Jesus is God. But for non-trinitarians who don't believe Jesus is God, there are numerous options. In another thread someone interpreted him as an archangel which I had never heard before. And then I just got to wondering how many other non-trinitarian interpretations there are.

If you're a non-trinitarian, what are your beliefs about Jesus? Was he only a man? Was he an angel? Was he somewhere in between man and angel? Maybe somewhere in between angel and God? Is he all-knowing and all-powerful? Did he exist from the very beginning? What does it mean for him to be God's son, is that any more special than the angels and us being sons of God? Basically give me your best description, not so much of who Jesus is, but more along the lines of what Jesus is if that makes sense to you.
RESPONSE:

Jesus was a human being, an itinerant preacher who some believed was the Messiah. The Messiah was a man, not divine, who was to sit on the throne of Israel and restore the rule to Israel.

That would be treason against Rome and the Emperor (who was the king). Jesus was executed by the Romans along with two other insurrectionists in about 33 AD.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by Checkpoint »

polonius.advice wrote:
jgh7 wrote: There have been tons of debates against the trinity, but I only just realized that I don't even know where non-trinitarians stand on who Jesus is. It's pretty simple on the trinitarian side, only one option: Jesus is God. But for non-trinitarians who don't believe Jesus is God, there are numerous options. In another thread someone interpreted him as an archangel which I had never heard before. And then I just got to wondering how many other non-trinitarian interpretations there are.

RESPONSE:

Jesus was a human being, an itinerant preacher who some believed was the Messiah. The Messiah was a man, not divine, who was to sit on the throne of Israel and restore the rule to Israel.

That would be treason against Rome and the Emperor (who was the king). Jesus was executed by the Romans along with two other insurrectionists in about 33 AD.
Is the response you posted fact or fiction?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #27

Post by 2timothy316 »

EBA wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
EBA wrote:

Peace
Wait....let's put this in the form of math equation.
∀ = Jesus
Jesus ≠ Father
Jesus = God
Jesus = Father

The statement is an impossibility. Jesus can't both be 'not Father' and be 'Father'.
Your equation is full of deceit.

It should read:

∀ = Jesus
Jesus ≠ “The Father�

Although I would suggest Jesus ≤ “the Father.�

Jesus = God
Jesus = our Father

That would be more in line with my statement and maybe not so impossible.

What do you think?

Peace.
You said , "maybe not so impossible". This is like saying 'maybe not so pregnant'. This means your statement is still impossible.

According to the Catholic Church, the folks that brought us the trinity 400 years after the death of the last apostle, "Jesus ≤ "the Father"" is Arian heresy.
https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/cu ... ather.html

This is another reason why I can't accept the trinity, there are different teachings of the trinity.

EBA
Apprentice

Post #28

Post by EBA »

2timothy316 wrote: You said , "maybe not so impossible". This is like saying 'maybe not so pregnant'. This means your statement is still impossible.
Actually, my statement was sarcasm.
2timothy316 wrote:According to the Catholic Church, the folks that brought us the trinity 400 years after the death of the last apostle, "Jesus ≤ "the Father"" is Arian heresy.
Fortunately, for me, I’m neither Catholic or a trinitarian.
2timothy316 wrote:This is another reason why I can't accept the trinity, there are different teachings of the trinity.
I don’t accept the trinity either.
I do, however, believe Jesus Christ is God which is not heresy, but scriptural fact.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #29

Post by brianbbs67 »

EBA wrote:
2timothy316 wrote: You said , "maybe not so impossible". This is like saying 'maybe not so pregnant'. This means your statement is still impossible.
Actually, my statement was sarcasm.
2timothy316 wrote:According to the Catholic Church, the folks that brought us the trinity 400 years after the death of the last apostle, "Jesus ≤ "the Father"" is Arian heresy.
Fortunately, for me, I’m neither Catholic or a trinitarian.
2timothy316 wrote:This is another reason why I can't accept the trinity, there are different teachings of the trinity.
I don’t accept the trinity either.
I do, however, believe Jesus Christ is God which is not heresy, but scriptural fact.
I am following but expound on the last one. Thanks.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by polonius »

jgh7 wrote:
Jesus was a first century itinerant preacher. He was one of the four Messiah-candidates mentioned at that time. All were killed by the Romans for insurrection.

But starting in 55 AD stories were written about him and his status was increased,