The tree of truth

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Waterfall
Scholar

The tree of truth

Post #1

Post by Waterfall »

I have been reading the story about Adam and Eve and now I cannot understand what people are talking about...eating of the tree of life? According to this story God do not want people to eat of the tree of life? Is that not why God did this:
After he drove the man out, he placed on the east sidee of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.
It seems like God do not want humans to live forever, so there can be no talk about an resurrection of humans. God just want humans to die and perish. Because they did not obey. End of story.

But the story keeps on going? Why is that?

Waterfall
Scholar

Re: The tree of truth

Post #11

Post by Waterfall »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Waterfall wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Waterfall wrote:
I would have to say...they did not obey...that seems to be the reason for not allowing humans to eat from the tree of life.
Good well done. Okay so what do you think would have happened if Adam and Eve HAD obeyed God?
According to this story...they would problely have eating from the tree of life at some point.
That is correct; so if they got eternal DEATH because they DIDN'T obey, what do you think they would have received if the DID obey?
What would have happen if they began with eaten from the tree of life? They would have live forever.

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Waterfall »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Waterfall wrote: why not begin with eating of the tree of life?.
You rightly pointed out that that they didn't get to eat from the tree of life because they did not obey. What does that tell us?
To illustrate If you want a car but the manufactuer says he will not give you the car because you didn't give him any money for it, does this not means that the car is not free? You only get it on condition you pay for it. You cannot have the car unless you keep the conditions.
If God didn't give Adam and Eve eternal life unless they obeyed Him, does that mean life is given on condition or without conditions?
According to the story they were allowed to eat from all the trees (including the tree of life in the middle of the garden), but not from the tree of knowledge of good and evil:
And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. 9And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the middle of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
In my bible (danish) it say...also the tree of life and the tree of knowledge...and that makes me think that all the trees was "pleasant to the sight, and good for food"...but then the tree of knowledge becomes forbidden for some reason?
Last edited by Waterfall on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Waterfall wrote:

According to the story they were allowed to eat from all the trees (including the tree of life in the middle of the garden), but not from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Okay , so we know they would have lived forever if they had obeyed God, so accordjng to the accohnt, is living forever given on condition or given without condiotion?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #14

Post by Waterfall »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Waterfall wrote:

According to the story they were allowed to eat from all the trees (including the tree of life in the middle of the garden), but not from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Okay , so we know they would have lived forever if they had obeyed God, so accordjng to the accohnt, is living forever given on condition or given without condiotion?
I have had to edit it (my response), so...?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

Waterfall wrote: ... so...?
God commanded Adam and Eve NOT to eat from the prohibited tree. We don't usually tell people not to do something if we want them to do it, so don't you think it is reasonable to say God didn't want them to disobey Him?

Remember
Obey = live forever
Disobey = die forever
So which do you think God wanted? Did he want them to disobey and die forever or do you think God wanted them to obey and live forever?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by DPMartin »

Waterfall wrote: I have been reading the story about Adam and Eve and now I cannot understand what people are talking about...eating of the tree of life? According to this story God do not want people to eat of the tree of life? Is that not why God did this:
After he drove the man out, he placed on the east sidee of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.
It seems like God do not want humans to live forever, so there can be no talk about an resurrection of humans. God just want humans to die and perish. Because they did not obey. End of story.

But the story keeps on going? Why is that?

man toke it upon himself to be the judge of what is good and evil like gods.
(God is the Judge of what is good and evil for His creation and the creatures in it, no exceptions)
hence since they died of the life God gave them before they ate of the tree, and where left with the life of dust to dust and ashes to ashes, it was God's Judgement that they would not have access to eternal life, via the tree of life. of which they did have access to before the incident with the tree.

all trees were within their reach, but the instructions to retain the Life God gave them, which is:

Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.
and that Life is retained by every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God, according to Jesus Christ.

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #17

Post by Waterfall »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
God commanded Adam and Eve NOT to eat from the prohibited tree. We don't usually tell people not to do something if we want them to do it, so don't you think it is reasonable to say God didn't want them to disobey Him?

Remember
Obey = live forever
Disobey = die forever
So which do you think God wanted? Did he want them to disobey and die forever or do you think God wanted them to obey and live forever?
How can we die forever, if we live forever?

Was all the trees good for food?

Why did the tree of knowledge become forbidden?

I can understand that God would say...keep away from this tree...if it was a bad tree...but knowledge of good and evil...what is wrong with that?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Waterfall wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Remember
Obey = live forever
Disobey = die forever

Let me try and better explain my question.

God says don't eat from the tree. Do you think God wanted them to eat from the tree?

EBA
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by EBA »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
God says don't eat from the tree. Do you think God wanted them to eat from the tree?
Yes, I do.

Peace be to you and yours.

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #20

Post by Waterfall »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Waterfall wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Remember
Obey = live forever
Disobey = die forever

Let me try and better explain my question.

I have read the story again and it tells us this:
The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.
Then it goes on and tells us about the creation of the women. Now the women becomes the mans helper. Thats is why I like the first (creation) story better. Here they are equal. Supplementing each other. Created at the same time. Not the man first and then the women or the women first and then the man.

You can read about this idea here:

http://uk.vandrermodlyset.dk/m-ko02.htm

But lets go back to your question:
No....it do not seem like that.

It seems like God could have chosen an apple tree or orange tree or banana tree and so on. But he chose the apple tree. And then he puts a "dragon" in front of the road to the tree of life...maybe he wants us to defeat the "dragon"? Is it a challenge?

Just eat from the tree of life...and then eat from the rest of the trees...but not from the apple tree...because then we will get into trouble...how do we get out of the trouble? Maybe we should just quit eating apples and eat some bananas instead?

How are we to understand this story?