To put it in "Old" Testament terms

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

To put it in "Old" Testament terms

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Granted that the name "Jesus Christ" does not appear in the Hebrew Bible. The "Old" Testament.

But to put it in OT terms, how many heroes of the Old Testament accepted the Messiah as their "personal Lord and Savior"? Or looked to the Messiah for the forgiveness of their sins?

Did anyone in the Old Testament look to anyone but YHVH God as their Savior?
Last edited by Elijah John on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: To put it in "Old" Testament terms

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote: Granted that the name "Jesus Christ" does not appear in the Hebrew Bible. The "Old" Testament.

But to put it in OT terms, how many heroes of the Old Testament accepted the Messiah as their "personal Lord and Savior"? Or looked to the Messiah for the forgiveness of their sins?

Look to YHVH God as their Saviour IS to look at salvation through the work of the Messiah without the details which were not yet revealed but were, indeed, in operation all the way back to Adam. The salvic effects of His death worked from the time of the promise, not just after the actual time of His death.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

ttruscott wrote:
Elijah John wrote: Granted that the name "Jesus Christ" does not appear in the Hebrew Bible. The "Old" Testament.

Look to YHVH God as their Saviour IS to look at salvation through the work of the Messiah without the details which were not yet revealed but were, indeed, in operation all the way back to Adam. The salvic effects of His death worked from the time of the promise, not just after the actual time of His death.
So then, according to that line of thinking, Jews of today who look only to Father YHVH (Adonai) for salvation, are implicitly covered by the merits of Jesus even though they do not acknowledge him that way?

-YHVH is LORD

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

Elijah John wrote:
So then, according to that line of thinking, Jews of today who look only to Father YHVH (Adonai) for salvation, are implicitly covered by the merits of Jesus even though they do not acknowledge him that way?
I don't mean to speak for ttruscott. However, I do believe that is possible. It is belief in the Promise as exemplified by Yeshua that saves, not full understanding of proper theology.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #5

Post by brianbbs67 »

"it is your belief that saves you"

God offered absolution over and over in the OT. Give up your evil ways was His only requirement. Christ seemed to uphold this.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ttruscott »

brianbbs67 wrote: "it is your belief that saves you"

God offered absolution over and over in the OT. Give up your evil ways was His only requirement. Christ seemed to uphold this.
It is written:
1 John 3:23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and we should love one another just as He commanded us.

If you seek YHWH, you will find Christ.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by polonius »

From the OP
Granted that the name "Jesus Christ" does not appear in the Hebrew Bible. The "Old" Testament.

RESPONSE: None did.
RESPONSE: An alternate story hadn't been invented yet
ttruscott wrote: Look to YHVH God as their Saviour IS to look at salvation through the work of the Messiah without the details which were not yet revealed but were, indeed, in operation all the way back to Adam. The salvic effects of His death worked from the time of the promise, not just after the actual time of His death.
RESPONSE: Do the Jews hold this view?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

ttruscott wrote:

It is written:
1 John 3:23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and we should love one another just as He commanded us.

So...Jews seek YHVH, that is what their religion is all about. But most do not find "Christ". Why is that?

Is your claim here erroneous, or are they just not seeking YHVH the "right way"?

Many seem to have found YHVH God without finding "Christ".

-YHVH is LORD

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #9

Post by brianbbs67 »

Elijah John wrote:
ttruscott wrote:

It is written:

So...Jews seek YHVH, that is what their religion is all about. But most do not find "Christ". Why is that?

Is your claim here erroneous, or are they just not seeking YHVH the "right way"?

I am saying salvation comes from God. Christ an instrument of it. I am finding that most of the sayings of Christ(the original title of Mathew) are contained in the Talmud(Misnah revisions too) and the Tanakh and most are attributed to Hillel the head of the Pharisees in Jesus' time. I am almost convinced Christ was a follower of Hillel. Hillel was in the manor of Christ, also, in the way he conducted himself. And he was troubled by his fellows also because of his humble behavior.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
ttruscott wrote:

It is written:

I am saying salvation comes from God. Christ an instrument of it. I am finding that most of the sayings of Christ(the original title of Mathew) are contained in the Talmud(Misnah revisions too) and the Tanakh and most are attributed to Hillel the head of the Pharisees in Jesus' time. I am almost convinced Christ was a follower of Hillel. Hillel was in the manor of Christ, also, in the way he conducted himself. And he was troubled by his fellows also because of his humble behavior.
I would say that Jesus is "savior" only insomuch as he pointed to Father YHVH as savior. He did preach the love and mercy of the Father. And his theophonic name means "YHVH saves" or "YHVH is salvation". Apt.

Interesting comments regarding Hillel. I think there's something to that comparison, but am not too familiar with him beyond his encapsulating the Torah with his version of the Golden Rule. And that he was a reformer too.

-YHVH is LORD