Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Should we turn churches into mosques?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Here's a French report about an Italian bishop:

Moralement et en tant qu’homme de foi, je serais prêt à transformer toutes les églises en mosquées si elles étaient utiles à la cause et si elles aidaient à sauver la vie d’hommes et de femmes pauvres et malheureux, parce que le Christ n’est pas venu sur terre pour construire des églises, mais pour aider les hommes sans distinction de race, de religion ou de nationalité » , a déclaré l’ancien évêque de Caserta, Raffaele Nogaro.

(Morally and as a man of faith I would be prepared to transform all churches into mosques if they served a good cause and helped to save the lives of men and women and unfortunate souls, because Christ didn't come on earth to build churches, but to help people without concern for race or religion or nationality.
So said the old bishop of Caserta, Raffaele Nogaro.)

Would it solve problems if churches were made into mosques .... like turning swords into ploughshares?

Is humble concession the way to deal with what some see as an Islamic problem in the cities of Europe?

Monta
Guru

Re: Should we turn churches into mosques?

Post #2

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

The priest is way off the mark. What would Muslims do with those churches?
They would not want to pray in them.
Use them for firewood?

As a priest he could stand up to western nations which destroy their
countries, their way of life including their mosques

That would be a real Christian thing to do

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

The priest is way off the mark. What would Muslims do with those churches?
They would not want to pray in them.
Use them for firewood?

As a priest he could stand up to western nations which destroy their
countries, their way of life including their mosques

That would be a real Christian thing to do
It is not an outlandish notion. In the UK churches that are no longer attracting congregations have been bought - not handed over, of course - by Muslim worshippers. It occasionally seems strange, of a Friday, to see Christ's children transformed.

I think the French were particularly bitten by the bishop's suggestion because 84-year-old Father Jacques Hamel, a French priest, was forced to kneel at his altar before his two attackers cut his throat and filmed his murder. He had opened his church hall to allow Muslim worshippers to use it.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 3 by marco]

Yes I know of a number of churches in the UK that have been bought by Jehovah's Witnesses and converted to Kingdom Halls. If the traditional churches are dwindling why not sell their ever emptying bulidings to religions like us that are increasing?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 3 by marco]

Yes I know of a number of churches in the UK that have been bought by Jehovah's Witnesses and converted to Kingdom Halls. If the traditional churches are dwindling why not sell their ever emptying buildings to religions like us that are increasing?
That's a fantastic idea, JW. Only problem would be the religions may not be in possession of wealth if they comply with Christ. As long as they're not used as arsenals, what's the harm?

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

To think that I worship God in His way, and you worship God in yours, is no longer a tenable proposition. It would be a fine thing if all the monotheistic faiths realised they love and worship the same God, and finer still if all the followers of these faiths loved their neighbour as themselves, as Jesus recommended.

Best wishes, 2RM.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

2ndRateMind wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

To think that I worship God in His way, and you worship God in yours, is no longer a tenable proposition. It would be a fine thing if all the monotheistic faiths realised they love and worship the same God, and finer still if all the followers of these faiths loved their neighbour as themselves, as Jesus recommended.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Lovely sentiments and the wish of many, 2RM. Sadly, even Jesus did not achieve this dream, to have everyone who heard him endorse his message of love. I suppose Muhammad, who had his own ideas of love, would have wanted the world to live in harmony. I wonder where it went wrong. Go well.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by 2ndRateMind »

marco wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

Best wishes, 2RM.

Lovely sentiments and the wish of many, 2RM. Sadly, even Jesus did not achieve this dream, to have everyone who heard him endorse his message of love. I suppose Muhammad, who had his own ideas of love, would have wanted the world to live in harmony. I wonder where it went wrong...
Hmmm. I am not sure it ever did go wrong. It's just taking a long time to come right.

Best wishes, 2RM.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Error

marco
Savant

Post #10

Post by marco »

2ndRateMind wrote:
Hmmm. I am not sure it ever did go wrong. It's just taking a long time to come right.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Hope springs eternal! Churches are closing and mosques seem to be thriving. Christians are being driven from Middle East countries or just being slaughtered. The world detests Islamophobia, and as Jesus said, if they're not against us, they are with us. Muhammad is marching on, certainly through Europe. His twin intent was to convert the Hagia Sophia, the Holy Wisdom Church in Turkey and the Vatican in Rome into mosques. He's half way there.