For DC'n'R' Christians - why the lack of curiosity?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

For DC'n'R' Christians - why the lack of curiosity?

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

I've been looking at the "Ask a User a Specific Question" "Ask A group" and "Ask about Belief" pages, and something struck me.
The overwhelming vast majority of questions in these sections...are from the side that can (more or less lazily) be lumped together as the non-believers. Heck, on the first page of "Ask a User", I myself asked no less than eighteen questions.
So what I want to ask is something for this site's Christians. Why are you generally speaking, not asking us questions in these places? Is there a lack of curiosity? Have you ever wondered what it is we think, or ever wanted to get some insight into something peculiar any of us might have said?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: For DC'n'R' Christians - why the lack of curiosity?

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by rikuoamero]

It seems fairly easy to answer. If Atheists say the plain stuff that anybody can pick up on the internet, what is there left to wonder about?

I find nothing extravagant about Atheists and their points of views. In a sense their asking us to be dead in the head.

1. We are not supposed to believe in any absolute ethics and morality.

2. We are wrong to believe in any mystery whatsoever unless we have become researchers and published papers for it or if we have "scientific" papers to back up our views "and they better be of a particular kind".

No, the premises of the Atheists are coming out loud and clear and the exchange may be rude as well. Thank goodness for internet. 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

Aetixintro wrote: 1. We are not supposed to believe in any absolute ethics and morality.
Why would you believe in absolute ethics and morality? There is absolutely no evidence for it. There is nothing you can even point to that would indicate that such a thing exists.

Ethics and morality are entirely human constructs. These are nothing more (and nothing less) than the opinions of what humans consider to be right or wrong.

This doesn't diminish their importance to humans, but it's certainly no evidence for any absolute morality. In fact, what would absolute morality even mean?

If an alligator eats a human baby has it done an immoral thing? I don't think so. I think it was just hungry and saw an easy meal. Period.

Only humans think of these things in terms of judging them to ethical or moral.

In fact, here's an example for you to THINK about if you dare.

If a human constructed robot alligators programmed to prey upon anything that moves and chomp it to death and then set those robot alligators loose where humans might be eaten by them what ETHICS would humans assign to the designer and builder of those alligator robots? I can assure you they would consider the person to be criminally liable for all damages. They would consider his actions to be "immoral".

Yet look at the real world. If the Christian God exist then this is precisely what the Christian God has done. He has created biological alligators that are programmed to prey upon any living moving thing including humans.

So by human standards of ethics and morality, the creator God himself would necessarily then be an immoral entity.

In short, religion doesn't even work when it comes to morality and ethics.

Morality and ethics are entirely a human creation. We decide what is and isn't moral. Period. It's nothing more (and nothing less) than our opinions based on what we consider to be right or wrong.

Human morality is absolutely subjective and an invention of humans.

In fact, humans wouldn't even consider it to be immoral to kill and eat an alligator. So clearly human morality is highly biased toward humans. How could that be an "Absolute" morality?

There is no such thing as absolute morality. If that concept is what keeps you believing in religion then you need to rethink that one in more detail.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by rikuoamero]

Athiests aren't a group to ask a question of. A group has a common belief. Atheists have a no belief.

Does this answer you completely?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 1 by rikuoamero]

Athiests aren't a group to ask a question of. A group has a common belief. Atheists have a no belief.

Does this answer you completely?
Okay I can understand your answer in terms of asking a group...but a particular individual on "my side"?
For example, I asked a former member of this site to clarify what he meant when he said he 'tried atheism' when he was younger. How come no-one has asked a question of myself or any other former Christian why we called ourselves Christians when we were younger; or what made us stop believing or anything like that?
I'm basically wondering at what looks to me to be almost a complete lack of interest from Christians on this site in learning what makes the unbelievers tick.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to rikuoamero]

Mostly that is resolved in debate, if an atheist raises it in debate.

But in general atheists are not here to discuss their beliefs and I find that one of the weaknesses of the site is that we never discuss what atheists believe.

Although in fairness it is some variant of materialism.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 6 by Wootah]

Actually I did just ask a question for the vegans on this forum. No response.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote: But in general atheists are not here to discuss their beliefs and I find that one of the weaknesses of the site is that we never discuss what atheists believe.
Atheism isn't a religion, so atheist's beliefs vary wildly.
Wootah wrote: Although in fairness it is some variant of materialism.
Not necessarily. Just because an atheist doesn't see any reason to believe in any of the proposed or historical views of a "God" doesn't mean that they necessarily need to believe in materialism. They can simply say that they don't yet know the answer to the question of the true nature of reality.

Having said this, I'll be the first to agree that many people who argue for atheism are ALSO (in addition to being atheists) materialists. They are convinced that materialism is necessarily the true nature of reality. But this is not a necessary belief for someone to not believe in any specific God myths.

Keep in mind Wootah that even religious people who proclaim extreme faith in one particular religion are still atheists with respect to all other religions. So an atheist is simply a person who believes in one less God myth than a devout theist. This doesn't mean that they necessarily claim that there is no God. It simply means that they see no compelling evidence for any of the known God myths.

I personally prefer to classify myself as an "Agnostic". However, most Christians see this as being an atheist. Especially since I renounce the God of Christianity (or the Biblical God) as being clearly false.

As soon as you renounce their God, you are considered an "atheist" by them anyway. Especially if you aren't embracing some other popular religious view.

I personally even give Buddhism a "possibility" of being true, even though it too has many problems and is less likely to be true than pure materialism.

I also give Wicca a "possibility" of being true, but this only applies to pantheistic versions of Wicca. In fact, even pure materialism is a form of "pantheism" in a sense. This can all depend on how a person even wants to define the concept of a "God Consciousness".

For a Christian, if God isn't a personalized egotistical individual who has an agenda, then it's not a "God".

So Christians typically have an extremely anthropomorphic view of what a God should be. Anything short of that they reject as not being a valid "theistic" idea.

So for Christians God must necessarily be very much "Zeus-like". They refuse to consider anything other than this.
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Wootah]

Actually I did just ask a question for the vegans on this forum. No response.

My sister is a vegan atheist, who supports freedom of choice when it comes to the question of abortion.

My sister is not a vegan solely because she doesn't believe in killing animals for food. She's a vegan mainly for health reasons. Although she does support animal rights and believes that hunting is no longer necessary and reject it as a "sport" as she sees no sport in killing defenseless animals with a high-powered gun. I tend to agree with her on the latter. Modern hunters with modern day gun do NOT impress me by going out and killing animals. To the contrary, if they come home empty-handed all I can say is shame on them. Killing an unarmed animals is hardly something worth bragging about.

As a caveat, my sister would have a problem with people having late-term abortions for no good reasons. But early abortions are not a problem for her, and I don't see why they should be a problem.

What's the difference between aborting an early pregnancy or refusing to get pregnant in the first place? Both choices end with the same result - no new human being born.

I chose not to have any children at all. At one point in my life a girl wanted to marry me and wanted to have 20 children! That's pretty crazy but that's what she wanted.

I turned her down. Am I now guilty for the non-existence of 20 children? One could argue that I killed 20 babies before they were even conceived. Fortunately for me there's no law against killing babies before they are conceived. :D
[center]Image
[/center]

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Divine Insight]

Well said. Since we are all atheists then the original question is invalid :).