Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

What the word "codex" has meant, changes in inerra

Post #1

Post by polonius »

https://bible.org/seriespage/6-bible-inerrant-word-god

“Formerly all that was necessary to affirm one’s belief in full inspiration was the statement, “I believe in the inspiration of the Bible.� But when some did not extend inspiration to the words of the text it became necessary to say, “I believe in the verbal inspiration of the Bible.� To counter the teaching that not all parts of the Bible were inspired, one had to say, “I believe in the verbal, plenary inspiration of the Bible.� Then because some did not want to ascribe total accuracy to the Bible, it was necessary to say, “I believe in the verbal, plenary, infallible, inerrant inspiration of the Bible.� But then “infallible� and “inerrant� began to be limited to matters of faith only rather than also embracing all that the Bible records (including historical facts, genealogies, accounts of Creation, etc.), so it became necessary to add the concept of “unlimited inerrancy.� Each addition to the basic statement arose because of an erroneous teaching.�

Charles C. Ryrie, Basic Theology, Victor Books, Wheaton, IL, 1987,

“In the course of time, the terms canon and canonical came to be applied to the catalogue or list of sacred books distinguished and honored as belonging to God’s inspired Word. “Greek Christians by the fourth century A.D. had given the word a quasi-technical religious meaning, applying it to the Bible, especially to the Jewish books.�

Merrill F. Unger, Introductory Guide to the Old Testament, Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, 1951, p. 47.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

Do you have a question for debate, p.a?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by polonius »

Overcomer wrote: Do you have a question for debate, p.a?

Response. Same one. How can scripture be "God breathed" and yet have so many contradictions?

The obvious answer seems to be it can't ;)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

polonius.advice wrote:

Response. Same one. How can scripture be "God breathed" and yet have so many contradictions?
What has that got to do with the word CODEX?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brianbbs67
Guru

Re: What the word "codex" has meant, changes in in

Post #5

Post by brianbbs67 »

polonius.advice wrote: https://bible.org/seriespage/6-bible-inerrant-word-god

“Formerly all that was necessary to affirm one’s belief in full inspiration was the statement, “I believe in the inspiration of the Bible.� But when some did not extend inspiration to the words of the text it became necessary to say, “I believe in the verbal inspiration of the Bible.� To counter the teaching that not all parts of the Bible were inspired, one had to say, “I believe in the verbal, plenary inspiration of the Bible.� Then because some did not want to ascribe total accuracy to the Bible, it was necessary to say, “I believe in the verbal, plenary, infallible, inerrant inspiration of the Bible.� But then “infallible� and “inerrant� began to be limited to matters of faith only rather than also embracing all that the Bible records (including historical facts, genealogies, accounts of Creation, etc.), so it became necessary to add the concept of “unlimited inerrancy.� Each addition to the basic statement arose because of an erroneous teaching.�

“In the course of time, the terms canon and canonical came to be applied to the catalogue or list of sacred books distinguished and honored as belonging to God’s inspired Word. “Greek Christians by the fourth century A.D. had given the word a quasi-technical religious meaning, applying it to the Bible, especially to the Jewish books.�

Merrill F. Unger, Introductory Guide to the Old Testament, Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, 1951, p. 47.
co·dex
ˈk�ˌdeks/Submit
noun
noun: codex; plural noun: codexes; plural noun: codices
an ancient manuscript text in book form.
an official list of medicines, chemicals, etc.

Ancient writings do not imply truth, necessarily, but they can. They can lead you closer. However, test all you hear and read. You never know what you will find. Without seeking there is no finding.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
polonius.advice wrote:

RESPONSE:

It doesn't. "Codex" is a term which you used but evidently don't understand.

Re:

In sum, "Codex" is a list of books having nothing to do with their accuracy or inaccuracy.

It seems evident that you are trying to avoid evidence of the contradictions and inaccuracy in scripture and can't deal with the obvious fact that the term "codex" means a collection of books and says nothing about their "inerrancy."

polonius
Prodigy

Re: What the word "codex" has meant, changes in in

Post #7

Post by polonius »

brianbbs67 wrote:
polonius.advice wrote: https://bible.org/seriespage/6-bible-inerrant-word-god

co·dex
ˈk�ˌdeks/Submit
noun
noun: codex; plural noun: codexes; plural noun: codices
an ancient manuscript text in book form.
an official list of medicines, chemicals, etc.

Ancient writings do not imply truth, necessarily, but they can. They can lead you closer. However, test all you hear and read. You never know what you will find. Without seeking there is no finding.
RESPONSE: Well said!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

polonius.advice wrote:
RESPONSE:

It doesn't. "Codex" is a term which you used but evidently don't understand.
A codex (Latin for block of wood, book; plural codices) is a book in the format used for modern books, with separate pages normally bound together and given a cover. Although the modern book is technically a codex, the term is used only for manuscripts. The codex was a Roman invention that replaced the scroll, which was the first book form in all Eurasian cultures.
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Codex
I'm still struggling to understand what the argument for biblical inerracy and the definition of codex have to do with each other.

A codex is simply a manuscript in book for (as opposed to a rolled scroll).

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

polonius
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [

I'm still struggling to understand what the argument for biblical inerracy and the definition of codex have to do with each other.

A codex is simply a manuscript in book for (as opposed to a rolled scroll).

JW
JP posted:
Well it's in the bible canon and the bible canon is authorative in this forum. Do you have a more substantial to offer or are you simply asking "How do we know the bible (canon) is true?"
viewtopic.php?t=3168
RESPONSE:

It doesn't. It was a ploy you attempted on another thread evidently to avoid discussing the errors in scripture. Did you forget you raised it?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

polonius.advice wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

A codex is simply a manuscript in book for[m] (as opposed to a rolled scroll).

JW
JP posted:

RESPONSE:

It doesn't.
Okay. Thank you for your honesty.

Enjoy your thread.

JW