Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SeaPriestess
Student

Church Life

Post #1

Post by SeaPriestess »

Hello,

I recently decided to start going back to church. There are a few ways I want to contribute. There are some things, creative things I want to do with music and maybe theater. For years I struggled with the thought of going back to church because there were just so many things I could not reconcile. I'm not trying to do that here, necessarily. However, it is my suspicion that the type of church I'll feel most comfortable in may not desire a deeper spiritual life but more like being part of a social club. On the other hand, the type of church, where people are really there as an act of meaningful spiritual ritual may tend to be too "religious", legalistic, judgmental, non-inclusive etc...I've been in those churches in the past. My conscience will not let me do that now in my life. But maybe, just maybe, I could still attend those types of churches. How will I navigate the bigotry etc....Isn't that sad though? Not hopeful that I can find authentic Christians/Jesus lovers who are into their faith and church life but who aren't mistaken in their understanding of scripture and how to apply it. Maybe I should just bag the whole idea. Idk....So, my question is, how to navigate in a church environment when you disagree with the general culture of the group and/or what is being taught? When do you know if it's time to move on? I was going to let my conscience guide me, not only my conscience of course, but if I was given the types of opportunities I was looking for, there might be my answer?

Thank you.

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #11

Post by SeaPriestess »

Hello Seaprestess, many are looking for the right church to join. It's like a person that is trying to identify all the counterfeit bills in the world. No one can ever hope to find these bills by comparing counterfeit bills to other counterfeit bills. The only way to find all the counterfeit bills is to study a real bill. Is it even possible to know who truly are God's church? I believe it is.

2 Timothy 3:16, 17 says, "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."

I have for you a couple of questions. Do you trust the above scripture to be true? Can we trust the Bible as the Word of God? If I showed you the identifying marks of the real 'bill' so-to-speak from the Bible would that help?

Hmmmm, ya know, after all the responses in this thread, I really need to ponder some more. It's been enlightening. But without getting into too much back and forth at this time, I will say this in response to your message...I know who God's church is and it isn't necessarily housed in a building. The pulpit is also flawed, so many of the true church is listening to false teaching. Its doesn't mean necessarily that they are not the true church. They are just misled, sometimes. Some weeks the Pastor may be on, some weeks, he may not be. Or they may be interpreting and applying certain areas of scripture in a way that can be clearly shown as wrong. I'm not about to fight that battle there or here. I know what the identifying marks are. A building of people can still have the identifying marks but be mislead in other areas of scripture that can be intolerable to me. I'm trying to deal with that concept without debating what what those topics are. So, I probably have already answered my own question but the responses here have been a good catalyst.

SeaPriestess
Student

Re: Church Life

Post #12

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 5 by dio9]

Yes and that too :)

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #13

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 4 by 2timothy316]

See above. I didn't respond in the proper format the first time. Sorry.

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #14

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 6 by William]

Hmmm, thank you. Interesting concept I had not thought of before...singing Jesus songs to a group of people who may have never heard some of these amazing songs? That would probably be more of what Jesus might be looking for. Busted. Ty :) I'll THINK about it....

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #15

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]

I'm not looking for a religion. My initial desire to "go back to church" was so I could be in an environment where people would appreciate listening to all these amazing Jesus songs I know that I used to play many many years ago in a church. I've been attending a particular church that could really use it! However, I do not agree with some of the teaching in this church and I'm feeling called to go elsewhere. Plus, I'm not even sure how much creative control I would have if they did "let" me sing and play. Dear friends of mine attend this church. They are wonderful people, however, they are misled. It's not my job to point that out.

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #16

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 8 by Overcomer]

Its funny you say you couldn't "stay" in a church unless they taught primary doctrines. But what if God wanted you to stay there and be a good influence. How the heck are they going to start teaching the right doctrines? What if God starts working in their hearts and things change. So, we're only supposed to stay to ourselves? What if you had the opportunity to serve a need in that church?

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #17

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 8 by Overcomer]

Anyway, I just read the rest of your message. Thank you. You were getting at what I was saying! Thanks!

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #18

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 10 by RightReason]

God isn't in a building. That's not the reason I want to go back to the building. For me, I think it's the sincere seekers and followers who I want to connect with, where ever they may be. A nice gothic stone structure, big or small, would be the icing. Why not seek the icing too? A group who wants to connect to God through amazing emotional songs would be nice too! Although, as I have said in a previous response, I can take that music "to the streets" if I really just want to do it. Having non-believers really receive and experience God through it, would be awesome! :)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

Post by JehovahsWitness »

SeaPriestess wrote: [Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]

I'm not looking for a religion. My initial desire to "go back to church" was so I could be in an environment where people would appreciate listening to all these amazing Jesus songs I know that I used to play many many years ago in a church. I've been attending a particular church that could really use it! However, I do not agree with some of the teaching in this church and I'm feeling called to go elsewhere. Plus, I'm not even sure how much creative control I would have if they did "let" me sing and play. Dear friends of mine attend this church. They are wonderful people, however, they are misled. It's not my job to point that out.

Well all I can advise is you visit some social clubs and entertainment centres and maybe some of the members will be believers that agree with your views. I was going to invite you to visit a local kingdom hall but the people there are more focused on finding out the will of God for them and doing it even if that will is contrary to their personal preferences and involves loss, suffering and persecution. We have music as it's part of our worship, but they are considered offerings to God rather than a means for self gratification and/or expressing our achievements and talents. In short for Jehovah's Witnesses the focus is all on others and primarily God rather than self. I don't think that's what you're looking for....

Hope you find something that suits you,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #20

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 19 by JehovahsWitness]

Why thank you for the kind, humble and sincere offering. So sweet.