The Body of Christ

Post #1

Post by SeaPriestess »

How does it work?

How do we make disciples of men?

How do we carry out our calling?

What IS our calling exactly?

Matthew 28:19-20

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.�

teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you

Let's unpack that last part.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The Body of Christ

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

SeaPriestess wrote:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.�

teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you

Let's unpack that last part.

AS Jehovah's Witnesses we contact people initially by calling on them from door to door (meaning we visit people at their homes) and offer to help them understand the bible. This is the main way we try and ensure that peveryone regarless of age, circumstances or locality has an opportunity to learn the good news. We also speak to people on the public street, at marketplaces at commercial centers, stations indeed where ever people can be found. We also make a consciouse effort to witness to people (meaning speak about the good news) informally to friends, relatives, colleagues and acquaintances as occasions arise.

Those that are interested in learning how to be a disciple of Christ are offered free home bible studies. This means each individual or couple has a personal teacher. They are also invited to attend Christian meetings where they can get the training, help and Chritian fellowship to progress to baptism. Once they qualify for baptism, the new Christian themselves become preacher and teachers and thus the good news continues to be preached.

AS Jesus predicted the above process takes place throughout the world (See Matthew 24:14).

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Do Jehovah's witnesses preach worldwide?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 648#897648

Do Jehovah's witnesses practice their religion in Islamic States?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 531#883531

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #3

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

So what did Jesus command you to do and how exactly do you teach it? I'm referring to the above scripture verse which are the words of Jesus.

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #4

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

And not only does he say to teach but more specifically teach to OBEY his commandments.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

SeaPriestess wrote:
So what did Jesus command you to do and how exactly do you teach it? I'm referring to the above scripture verse which are the words of Jesus.

Making Diciples

Jesus command was for his followers to "make diciples" meaning that each dedicated Christian believe has to the personal responsibility to help others also become baptised Christians disciples.

Teaching

Jesus command was that his followers should teach individuals to obey Christ's commands. We can learn what Christ commanded by studying the bible, thus the main "textbook" for the teaching work is the bible itself. Jehovah's Witnesses have a number of bible study aids that are used for this purpose

Obey

MATTHEW 16:24

Then Jesus said to his disciples: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and keep following me
Of course Christian discipleship is not a mere intellectual exercise, new disciple must put into practice the standards and principles outlined in scripture. Jesus command to "follow him" involves following his example to our best ability. Many before coming into a knowledge of God have lead lives doing this disapproved by scripture many for example may have viewed sexual immorality, use of illicit drugs , or dishonesty as normal, so most peolple have to make sincere efforts to bring their lives in line with bible standards (compare 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10). They must also become part of the Christian congregation and qualify themselves to be teachers and preachers of the good news which is the commissin Jesus left his disciples..

RELATED POSTS

LEARNING MORE Why study the bible? (Video presentation)
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... the-bible/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:50 am, edited 8 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #6

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 5 by JehovahsWitness]

So surely baptizing wasn't his only command. Can you, yourself, think of any other specific things Jesus commanded?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 1 by SeaPriestess]

What Jesus taught is something , Sermon on the mount , parables, the kingdom of God. There are some commands in Acts ; Acts 15:28-30

28 For it was the Holy Spirit’s decision—and ours—to put no greater burden on you than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from food offered to idols, from blood, from eating anything that has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. You will do well if you keep yourselves from these things.

Farewell.

Its simple to be a Christian.

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #8

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 7 by dio9]

Well I say this, Jesus said “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.�

Everything else to me is just blah blah blah blah......I don't mean that disrespectfully either. It's just, the above commandment is the only thing I truly understand. I'm perfectly happy with that knowledge myself.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

SeaPriestess wrote: [Replying to post 7 by dio9]

Well I say this, Jesus said “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.�

Everything else to me is just blah blah blah blah......I don't mean that disrespectfully either. It's just, the above commandment is the only thing I truly understand. I'm perfectly happy with that knowledge myself.

Do you think we show genuine love of God by minimalizing, disregarding or ignoring His commands and instructions?

1 JOHN 5:3

Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome. - New Living Translation

SeaPriestess
Student

Post #10

Post by SeaPriestess »

[Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

How could you possibly think that quoting Jesus speaking of the 2 greatest commandments is minimalizing, ignoring and disregarding? Shame Shame